If you didn't think Joe Burrow was a 1st rounder last year, why would you think he's one this year?

VanS

18 minutes ago, Xenos said:

But he doesn't have a cannon though. In fact that was one of his knocks coming out. He gets by in a similar manner as Brees and Rivers, with anticipation and accuracy. I'll give you the mobility part if that is what you mean by athletic. But his mobility was actually a crutch for him when it comes to holding on to the ball for so long.

Deshaun's arm isn't on Mahomes' or Josh Allen's level, but it's still very strong.

On 11/29/2019 at 2:50 PM, Kip Smithers said:

I mean he's not wrong in what he said. He's just wrong in seemingly how he values it.

The problem is that he's looking for that one-in-a-million QB prospect.  Michael Vick was drafted in 2001.  Lamar Jackson was drafted in 2018.  17 years in between when those two players were drafted, and you're telling me if you're looking for those one-in-a-million QB prospects, you're going to be a bad team for a long time.  And there's been better QBs drafted between then.  Not to mention, Michael Vick wasn't a very accurate QB.  His lack of accuracy wasn't as big an issue because he was such a threat with his legs, but there was a baseline for necessary accuracy.

On 11/10/2019 at 12:16 AM, VanS said:

The elevation of Joe Burrow from a guy nobody talked about 6 months ago to the potential #1 overall pick is pretty funny.  Especially when you consider that he's going to turn 23 years old in a month and is currently older than LAMAR JACKSON.

My question to the Joe Burrow fans on here:  If you watched Joe Burrow last year and didn't see him as anything special, why would you think he deserves to be a 1st round pick this year or even crazier the #1 overall pick?  Did his arm get stronger? Did he get faster?  Did he start making throws you never seen before?  Or is he simply the beneficiary of a new system and better skill position players around him?

Production changes from year to year.  Traits don't.  At least not this much (i.e. taking a guy from UFA to the #1 overall pick).  I'm not saying a player can't improve from one year to the next.  I'm just saying we typically don't see these jumps happen from a player's redshirt junior to redshirt senior year.   College athletes typically make their biggest jumps from their first to second year in college.

PFF grades suggested signs of this coming last year, people just don't pay attention. He sat out a year to transfer as well. 

On 12/1/2019 at 5:32 PM, Xenos said:

But he doesn't have a cannon though. In fact that was one of his knocks coming out. He gets by in a similar manner as Brees and Rivers, with anticipation and accuracy. I'll give you the mobility part if that is what you mean by athletic. But his mobility was actually a crutch for him when it comes to holding on to the ball for so long.

Deshaun DOES have a cannon, it was one of his knocks yeah, but it's been proven completely wrong. Yeah, he doesn't throw it as hard as Baker or Josh Allen but he can throw it very very far down field without struggle.

Also, how is his mobility a crutch for him? Have you seen him this season?

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Nastradamus said:

PFF grades suggested signs of this coming last year, people just don't pay attention. He sat out a year to transfer as well. 

Then kudos to PFF.  I'm talking to people who didn't think much of him last year (like myself).   Unlike them I still don't think much of Burrow.  I was just curious to see how people justify this huge shift on him as a player.

7 hours ago, Drained said:

Deshaun DOES have a cannon, it was one of his knocks yeah, but it's been proven completely wrong. Yeah, he doesn't throw it as hard as Baker or Josh Allen but he can throw it very very far down field without struggle.

Also, how is his mobility a crutch for him? Have you seen him this season?

That's not what a cannon is. Almost every starting QB can throw the ball 55+ yards without much issue. When we talk about cannons, we're talking about QBs who can throw the most difficult routes with velocity or throw with velocity/distance off platform. Watson's arm is nothing special for a NFL starting QB.

• Like 1

On 12/2/2019 at 12:08 PM, Xenos said:

If by cannon, you mean on par with prime Rivers, then sure :)

Rivers is always a weird comparison, because with his 3/4-delivery it's always been so difficult to gauge his true velocity.  Now, granted it's pre-draft workout numbers and Lamar has since cleaned up his delivery and made it noticeably more compact, but Lamar Jackson and Watson both clocked at 49 mph velocity.  Mahomes and Baker, by comparison, hit 60.  Cam hit 56.  Trubisky hit 55 (which is my guess what Lamar's number is closer to than 49 now that he's compacted his delivery).  Goff hit 58 (which is kind of the outlier by where you start to question if velocity isn't a bit of an imperfect gauge of arm strength, but it's the best we've got for the moment).  Dak hit 54.  Wentz hit 57.  Josh Allen hit 62 (legit cannon).  When you consider that Allen represented the 100th percentile among the pool of current active QB's, for context, Watson is actually in the 2nd-percentile.

Honestly, I'd reserve the term "cannon" for guys who can hit that 60 mph benchmark is the TLDR version.