If you didn't think Joe Burrow was a 1st rounder last year, why would you think he's one this year?

VanS

13 hours ago, VanS said:

I only bring up mental acuity when people use that as a major selling point for a QB prospect.

It's one of many selling points in his game. 

13 hours ago, VanS said:

Stuff like mental acuity are difficult to project which is why I rarely mention it. 

Just because something is difficult to evaluate doesn't mean it isn't important or should be ignored entirely. You can criticize and speculate what Brady does for Burrow pre-snap all you like, but Burrow's post-snap acuity is evident if you're willing to look. His field vision, progressions, and decision making is as good as you'll see at the position.

• Like 2

On 1/14/2020 at 11:15 PM, VanS said:

Agreed.  And I don't see much difference every Sunday between most QBs on that front.  The biggest difference I see in QBs is when it comes to reading the defense and making the decision of where to throw. 

15 hours ago, VanS said:

Stuff like mental acuity are difficult to project which is why I rarely mention it. 

You contradict yourself so much it makes my eyes hurt. 

The actual mechanics of delivering the ball are very similar for most QBs. 

This just isn't true. This might be the case if every single QB was built the exact same, or had the same level of arm strength, or had the same level of mental processing speed, or what position causes less stress on their arm was exactly the same. 

I think people just like to hype up accuracy when its the trait with the least variability among QBs. 

It really isn't. Accuracy is probably the third most important trait in a QB. Accuracy also ties into a QB's ability to process things at a lightning quick pace, so I can see why you don't put too much stock into it. 

Edited by YogiBiz
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, YogiBiz said:

No it doesn't. Dobbs has average tools at best. 

6 hours ago, Breesus mode said:

Dobbs has great physical tools. It's also likely a fair bit of homerism, he is a Vols fans.

If Dobbs had average tools I would never have hyped him.  Also my fandom didn't play a part.  If yall remember I was one of the few voices saying Derek Barnett was not a 1st rounder despite breaking records at Tennessee.   If all I did was hype up Tennessee players then Barnett would have been the guy I hyped the most.  But in reality I was probably the most vocal person against him going high in the draft.

21 minutes ago, VanS said:

If Dobbs had average tools I would never have hyped him.  Also my fandom didn't play a part.  If yall remember I was one of the few voices saying Derek Barnett was not a 1st rounder despite breaking records at Tennessee.   If all I did was hype up Tennessee players then Barnett would have been the guy I hyped the most.  But in reality I was probably the most vocal person against him going high in the draft.

I didn't say it was complete homerism.

• 2 weeks later...

I thought Burrow looked excellent in the bowl game against UCF last season. That was the game that opened my eyes. I put a great deal of emphasis on bowl games because my sharpest friend in Las Vegas uses them to identify quarterbacks. For example, he was laughing like heck that one year when Dak Prescott and Paxton Lynch played in bowl games on the same day, with Prescott playing superbly and putting up a ton of points while Lynch couldn't do a darn thing against a mediocre version of Auburn. He was laughing at the absurdity of Lynch being rated significantly higher than Prescott. 

Against UCF Burrow threw an early pick six, then also was the recipient of a couple of blatant early cheap shots. UCF was playing like a rogue program. It didn't phase Burrow at all. He rebounded and threw many gorgeous perfectly lofted deep shots that changed the complexion of that game. It wasn't identical to this season but it equated to above 11 YPA in that game and consequently I wasn't surprised when I saw more glimpses of that this season, albeit in an altered offense. 

Burrow has a phenomenal combination of instincts and athletic arrogance. The little grin he had on his face throughout the Alabama game was absolutely priceless. It was like he was saying I've prepared for this all my life and you're not doing anything I can't counter. The aspect I really love is how he turns and looks behind him while scrambling toward the sideline, fully recognizing that the backside end did have enough time to get to that spot. I realize it's a strange comparison but it reminds me of Kyle Van Noy as a junior at BYU. Multiple times that season including the bowl game he got a turnover in his hands yet had the remarkable presence to look behind him briefly during the runback, in such contrast to most defensive clowns who have no clue when an offensive player is about to slap the ball away, nullifying the turnover. Once I saw that trait from Van Noy I knew it was merely a matter of time before those incredible instincts were fully prominent in the NFL. I was championing for him on Dolphins sites.

Anyway, Burrow will get in trouble in the NFL if he's on a weak team with frequent third and long situations. Those plays will expose his less than superb arm strength on darts over the middle in tight quarters. But you can't worry about that type of thing. The NFL doesn't penalize less than ideal arm strength like it used to. And Burrow's arm should strengthen slightly for at least the next few years.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...