If you didn't think Joe Burrow was a 1st rounder last year, why would you think he's one this year?

VanS

9 hours ago, VanS said:

True.  But I could see elite talent in Murray from Day 1.  So him going #1 in the draft was no surprise.  Nobody can say Burrow flashed elite talent before this season.  

I just think most people make the mistake of thinking high rate production means top tier talent all the time.  Sometimes guys can be productive in college and not really that talented.  Joe Burrow seems to be one of those guys to me.  Never felt that way about Kyler Murray.

You’re telling me you saw 1st overall play from Murray at A&M? 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, CWood21 said:

You’re telling me you saw 1st overall play from Murray at A&M? 

Absolutely.  Now I didn't think a NFL team would have the guts to do it given his size but I saw elite talent from the first game.  His explosive running ability and arm talent were clearly evident.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, CWood21 said:

I just think most people make the mistake of thinking high rate production means top tier talent all the time.  Sometimes guys can be productive in college and not really that talented.  Joe Burrow seems to be one of those guys to me.  Never felt that way about Kyler Murray.

I think that this is fair, given that he's not elite in anything he has, strictly in regards to tangibles:

Arm Strength: Above Average

Accuracy: Really good to great

Frame: Average (6'3, 215)

Footwork: Good

Athleticism: Plus athlete

That said, when it comes to intangibles, here's what he brings that people like:

Leadership, Huddle Presence, the ability to go through progressions/presnap reads.

I think that IF you like JB, you like the "sum is greater than the parts". If you don't, you are afraid that it took 5 years to click and he's not "great" at anything.

I stand by my Cousins comparison to Burrow.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, VanS said:

True.  But I could see elite talent in Murray from Day 1.  So him going #1 in the draft was no surprise.  Nobody can say Burrow flashed elite talent before this season.  

okay, i get your opinion. we'll see. Burrow will be drafted and possibly as the #1 so we'll see in 2020. I am not affirmative, he will success or fail, i dont know. I just think he is legit as a #1, we'll see what will happen next year.

Funny, this article tries to address the same thing:

https://theathletic.com/1400048/2019/11/22/joe-burrow-lsu-football-quarterback-nfl-draft-stock-turnaround-sec/

Some highlights:

So as Burrow shoots up NFL draft boards and gets discussed as a potential No. 1 overall pick, those who study these things for a living struggle to come to terms with a season none of them could see coming.

“It’s really unprecedented, and it really doesn’t make sense,” Renner said.

The problem is there’s simply never been a turnaround like this. Brugler has asked every scout and evaluator he knows if they’ve seen anything like it, he’s yet to get a great answer. The best he’s heard is Penn State’s Kerry Collins going from 51 percent for 1,605 yards in 1993 to 67 percent for 2,679 yards in 1994.

Connelly’s best suggestion is USC’s Carson Palmer completing 58 percent for 2,717 yards and 12 touchdowns in 2001 before winning the Heisman in 2002 at 64 percent for 3,942 yards and 33 touchdowns. That comparison also works because it’s a similar case of a powerhouse school in the early stages of a turnaround with a new coach (Pete Carroll) like LSU with Ed Orgeron.

Renner may have the best comparison: Russell Wilson. He completed 58 percent of his passes for 6.8 yards per attempt in 2010 at NC State. Then, he transferred to Wisconsin and completed 73 percent for 10.3 yards per attempt. And even with Wilson, he still was only a third-round pick.

So what’s been the overall key to this turnaround?

That’s been difficult to pinpoint. Ask Burrow, he says footwork. Ask his father, Jimmy, and he points to 2018 being the first time Joe played games in three years. Ask the average fan, and they will say passing game coordinator Joe Brady and LSU’s new spread offense. Oh, and don’t forget the development of one of the best receiving corps in all of football in Ja’Marr Chase, Justin Jefferson and Terrace Marshall.

One common response from Brugler and Renner stems from a greater confidence and understanding of the offense. He got “skittish” when pressure came last season. He took off running too quickly. He tossed up some jump balls and didn’t step into his throws. Orgeron acknowledged: “When he came in, I think he was unsure of the offense. So he wasn’t letting the ball go as quick as he wanted to.”

Now, with a year of experience at LSU and a full offseason to work with his receivers, Burrow is in complete command of the offense. He knows what the defense is doing, knows where his hot routes and checkdowns are going to be and can negotiate pressure in the pocket while keeping his eyes downfield.

This upgrade in knowledge, footwork and experience has allowed him to make better decisions and to step into his throws more consistently

8 minutes ago, sammymvpknight said:

Burrow still looks like Brady. Of course, you can’t compare him to GOAT Tom Brady, but man he looks like Brady throwing the football. You put him in a Patriots uni and I’m not sure that you’d be able to tell the difference on their posture and release. 

Given the rise in popularity of dual threat QBs, I do wonder if he will drop ever so slightly. Of course that's probably wishful thinking on my part.

7 hours ago, brownie man said:

He is the next Brady 

I love watching Burrow play

he reminds me this year of how Russell Wilson has turned in an MVP season. Like everything has slowed down for him and he doesn’t the little things that make a big difference 

He has this weird aura of greatness about him. His poise, confidence, and toughness are off the Richter.