If you didn't think Joe Burrow was a 1st rounder last year, why would you think he's one this year?

VanS

On 1/17/2020 at 4:17 PM, Jlowe22 said:

Some of Manning’s early years were bad even for that era. 

What you mean his Rookie year? Shocker.

If you're talking about 2001, He was 8th in the league in passer rating that year, so nah he wasn't BAD that year.

4 hours ago, jrry32 said:

This is all wrong and very stupid.

https://theramswire.usatoday.com/2017/11/30/nfl-los-angeles-rams-jared-goff-sean-mcvay-headset-audible-line-of-scrimmage/

The Rams have come under some unwarranted criticism of late for their usage of the coach-to-quarterback headset. A video showed McVay calling audibles for Goff at the line of scrimmage, which Chris Simms of ProFootballTalk called “unethical” and “cheating.”

55 minutes ago, VanS said:

I'm happy to explain what the Patriots did in the Super Bowl, why what you said isn't logical, and why the amateur who writes for The Rams Wire is wrong. Feel free to find a Goff thread if you want that.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, VanS said:

If there were no coaches then this would be a great point.  But we know coaching can make a huge difference when it comes to presnap reads (especially in college).   Sean McVay famously was telling Jared Goff where to go with the ball presnap in 2017 and 2018.   This made Jared Goff look like an MVP candidate until the Super Bowl when Bill Belichek didn't show his true defense until the QB/coach mic was turned off.  This forced Goff to read the defense himself without the aide of his coach and we all saw how that turned out.  The explosive Rams turned in the worst offensive performance in Super Bowl history.

How sure are you that it wasn't Joe Brady and the LSU coaches that made Joe Burrow this season?  This is why I typically stick to ratings players primarily on their physical tools.  When you try to give a player credit for traits like reading a defense you can never be sure its really him or the coaches.  With Burrow its even more damning given how unimpressive he was the year before.  If this was Burrow's first year of significant action then I might be more open to your argument.  But given he showed none of this last year I'm gonna go with this being more about the coaches than Joe Burrow. 

I agree about being suspicious of Joe Burrows one year wonder production, but the physical tools were obviously there to be back up QB at Ohio State and then starting QB at LSU.  Also, what I am specifically talking about is Joe Burrows vision after his first read and once the play breaks down, which is 100% Joe Burrow and not Joe Brady. 

EDIT: no GOFF talk. 

Edited by warsawian

11 hours ago, VanS said:

If there were no coaches then this would be a great point.  But we know coaching can make a huge difference when it comes to presnap reads (especially in college). 

What exactly are you accusing Burrow and the LSU offense of? Are you saying that Brady/Ensminger read the defense pre snap, signal to Burrow what they think the defensive play call is, and call a play to counter that? You mean, like an offensive coordinator?

Why do I get the sense that if Burrow had Josh Allen's arm his mental acuity wouldn't be brought into question at all?

• Like 5

3 hours ago, SmittyBacall said:

What exactly are you accusing Burrow and the LSU offense of? Are you saying that Brady/Ensminger read the defense pre snap, signal to Burrow what they think the defensive play call is, and call a play to counter that? You mean, like an offensive coordinator?

Why do I get the sense that if Burrow had Josh Allen's arm his mental acuity wouldn't be brought into question at all?

Thats simple. VanS is John Elway's burner account. Mystery solved.

12 hours ago, warsawian said:

but the physical tools were obviously there to be back up QB at Ohio State and then starting QB at LSU. 

Yeah but we ain't talking about physical tools to be a draftable QB.  People are talking about Burrow like he's a slam dunk #1 overall pick.   If he had that level of physical talent he would have started for Ohio State. 

Burrow has the tools to be a NFL QB.  I'm simply saying he doesn't have the tools to be a high 1st round pick.

10 hours ago, SmittyBacall said:

I only bring up mental acuity when people use that as a major selling point for a QB prospect.  I've made the criteria I look at when evaluating QBs very clear.  I focus on physical traits first and foremost.  Then I look for intangibles like work ethic.   Stuff like mental acuity are difficult to project which is why I rarely mention it. 

2 hours ago, VanS said:

I only bring up mental acuity when people use that as a major selling point for a QB prospect.  I've made the criteria I look at when evaluating QBs very clear.  I focus on physical traits first and foremost.  Then I look for intangibles like work ethic.   Stuff like mental acuity are difficult to project which is why I rarely mention it. 

You don't know how to evaluate quarterbacks. Cool.

4 hours ago, VanS said:

Mental acuity is difficult to evaluate, so you don't evaluate it? You don't evaluate the most important aspect of QBing when evaluating QBs because it's difficult? Van, bro . . .

• Like 6

It’s ok to have a differing opinion, not easy to stand apart from the crowd.   The reasons, though, do matter.   We’ve already heard that a guy has to make wow plays the first time you see them, otherwise you judge them to be not special.  

Now assessing mental acuity isn’t part of the evaluation process?  For a QB?   But looking into their eyes tells you about a player’s character?  

I mean, dude......

• Like 2