If you didn't think Joe Burrow was a 1st rounder last year, why would you think he's one this year?

VanS

29 minutes ago, Drained said:

Is it Mitch Trubisky-syndrome? One good year and woah look at this guy hes gonna be the new Drew Brees!!!

Trubisky did only have one great year, Burrows is not like that.  He was very solid last year and would have been a mid to late round pick if he did not improve at all this season.  But this year he is clearly awesome completing almost 80% of his passes and will win the Heisman and has beaten multiple top 10 ranked teams this year.  So Burrows has had more that one great year unlike Trubisky.  Burrows has at least two seasons of being a full time starting, Trubisky only had one obviously.

What about Kyler Murray?  He only had one great year in college, is nothing amazing on Arizona but is not awful either.  

19 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

Trubisky did only have one great year, Burrows is not like that.  He was very solid last year and would have been a mid to late round pick if he did not improve at all this season.  But this year he is clearly awesome completing almost 80% of his passes and will win the Heisman and has beaten multiple top 10 ranked teams this year.  So Burrows has had more that one great year unlike Trubisky.  Burrows has at least two seasons of being a full time starting, Trubisky only had one obviously.

What about Kyler Murray?  He only had one great year in college, is nothing amazing on Arizona but is not awful either.  

I actually think Kyler Murray has been extremely impressive this year behind a horrific OL.  

• Like 4

Saw some tweets yesterday that underscored how special Burrow has been this year.  His completion on throws 10+ yards downfield is over 70% to lead the NCAA.  He's not just dinking and dunking balls, he's pushing it downfield and still completing passes at an elite rate.  Tua this year before the injury was at 57%

• Like 3

56 minutes ago, Elky said:

I think the end of the world is upon us...I actually agree with Vans on this one.

I get players can always improve, but to show up out of nowhere like this to me is a red flag.

Legit question...how do you define 'out of nowhere'?  Cause it's not like Burrow was an unknown prospect.  He was certainly more well known than Cam Newton who wasn't even in the game program for Auburn at the start of his Heisman year.

I'm not saying it isn't a red flag...but if you don't like Burrow...you must have hated Cam.

• Like 2

On 11/24/2019 at 1:01 AM, Ragnarok said:

Legit question...how do you define 'out of nowhere'?  Cause it's not like Burrow was an unknown prospect.  He was certainly more well known than Cam Newton who wasn't even in the game program for Auburn at the start of his Heisman year.

I'm not saying it isn't a red flag...but if you don't like Burrow...you must have hated Cam.

Programs were lining up to get Cam to sign with them after what he did at JUCO.

Edited by Elky
  • Like 1

On 11/20/2019 at 7:59 AM, THE DUKE said:

Saw some tweets yesterday that underscored how special Burrow has been this year.  His completion on throws 10+ yards downfield is over 70% to lead the NCAA.  He's not just dinking and dunking balls, he's pushing it downfield and still completing passes at an elite rate.  Tua this year before the injury was at 57%

He's completing 78.9% of his passes and averaging 10.9 YPA in the SECW. That's unreal. 

• Like 2

What pro do we compare Burrow to?

From what I've seen he most closely resembles Tony Romo. Smart, crafty, maneuverability in the pocket, good enough arm, can operate off script, phenomenal ball placement and great accuracy. Oddly enough, they could of both played basketball at a high level. It's interesting how that translates.

10 hours ago, jrry32 said:

He's completing 78.9% of his passes and averaging 10.9 YPA in the SECW. That's unreal. 

The last part is what is so rare.  This isn't the ACC cream puff schedule.   Auburn, Florida & 'Bama were all touted pre-game as legit D's.   

To top it off, he's going to face Georgia, and one of Clemson / OSU in the playoffs.   I mean, that's a gauntlet of epic proportions.

And again - he's doing it in a pro-style system.   So this isn't Jalen Hurts in OKL being projected to then have to go to a NFL system, in a bad pass D conference.  This is Burrow in a cream-of-the-crop D schedule, succeeding with the reads / throws you need to make in the NFL to succeed.   

P.S.  As someone who wasn't sure if he could avoid big hits with NFL speed catching up to him on D,  Kyler's been fantastic as a rookie.  Ppl have unrealistic expectations on how 1st & 2nd year QB's on bad teams should be playing performance-wise.  If I was a Cards fan, I'd be ecstatic at what I'm seeing.

• Like 1