Arkansas fires Chad Morris

naptownskinsfan

Firing a coach less than two years into their tenure will certainly raise eyebrows, especially when their former program is ranked nationally and in the hunt for their division title.  It will also raise eyebrows on a $10 million buyout, while also in a dispute with the former coach on how much money they should be paying him.  Arkansas is paying a lot of money to their former coaches which is going to limit them in who they hire next. 

Morris was also winless in 14 SEC games, so there is that as well. 

Arkansas has fired Chad Morris as its football coach, and tight ends coach/special-teams coordinator Barry Lunney Jr. will finish out the season as the Razorbacks' interim coach, the school announced Sunday.

Under the terms of Morris' six-year, $21 million contract, the Razorbacks will owe him 70% of his remaining compensation, which totals about $10 million. The Razorback Foundation will make monthly payments to Morris through 2023.

The Razorbacks owed Bielema about $11.9 million when they fired him in November 2017. The Arkansas Democrat-Gazette reported last month that the Razorback Foundation had stopped making monthly payments of $320,833 to Bielema and asked him to return $4.2 million it has already paid him

Read More: https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/28049475/arkansas-fires-coach-chad-morris-4-18-start

Just now, ronjon1990 said:

All I know is that I want to be a college coach for two years and fail miserably. 

Knowing what some of these buyouts are, it has the potential to be the highest paying, lowest stress job on the planet. 

$321,000 an month is absurd severance package. 

It was discussed earlier in the season during a UCLA game, but apparently Chip Kelly only does offer letters on certain days of the month, amongst other things.  Low stress indeed.  

• Like 1

22 hours ago, naptownskinsfan said:

Firing a coach less than two years into their tenure will certainly raise eyebrows, especially when their former program is ranked nationally and in the hunt for their division title.

Dykes has about 15 transfers including the star QB transfer from Texas though. Most of his players are not from Morris.

Morris would have been fine if he had beaten San Jose State and Western Kentucky. He got blown out by the latter with a QB in Ty Storey who he ran off from Arkansas. He needed to show some improvement, no matter how small, but we have arguably gotten worse and he had a top 25 recruiting class up until a few months ago when players started decommitting because of all the losing and our recruiting class was approaching #50 before he was fired. Our schedule gets tougher next year...there was just no way he was ever going to do anything if he hadn't shown a glimpse of it yet.

Plus looking at players tweets they hated him. Then he was arrogant and clueless in press conferences. Just a terrible coach all around. This is from a player's parent:

I tried to be a fan if the hire.  I, like many of us, was hoping for something to bring energy to the program.  I only spoke with Morris twice.  My son met him, and came over for dinner and told me that he just had a bad feeling about him.  He told me that Morris seemed to be all talk and no substance.  I told him that he should buy in and give it some time.  He and his teammates were still upset about how the Bielema firing went down.  He spent 2 months in Morris’  program.  All the while I was on Hogville telling everyone to be patient, it would Morris take a couple of years.  After 2 months in the offseason, my son told me that he was adding an extra class a and going to finish his bachelors in 3 years and move on from football.  He and I went round and round.  I told him that he was going to regret leaving a program that he’d dreamed of being part of since he first played football.  Then he stared telling me details about some things in the program.  The straw that broke the camels back for me was what they wanted to do with my son’s position group.  He had been told by Pittman when he was a freshman that he was too small and it would take him 3 years in the weight room to get to the size he needed to be.  Pittman wanted him at 290-295.  He was at 292.  He was told that he, and all the current lineman, needed to drop 25lbs to be more mobile.  I told him that small lineman won’t work in the SEC.  He agreed.  He then told me that he just didn’t think the staff understood the level of competition in the SEC .  He told me he hated to walk away, but “I just can’t play for that coach”.  And so he walked away with two years of eligibility left.  When the 2018 season was about to start, I asked him how he was handling not being part of the team and how did he think they’ll do.  I tried to lighten the mood and joked with him that I thought they were a 4-5 win team in 2018, but Hogville thinks he’ll win 8!  He didn’t feel like joking and prophetically replied to me  “3 years down the road, he’ll be fired before he’s won a total of 8 games. He’s not an SEC coach”.  Again I tried to tell my son he was just upset because he was too close to the situation to remain objective.  He replied, “just wait and watch”.  As the season went on, he was right.  I tried to like Morris.  As I’ve posted, I support the program and that includes whoever’s name is on the door that says Head Coach, but Morris lost me.  From what I’ve heard from media members I’ve spoken to, current and former players, people that work in the building that I still have some contact with, Morris was all about Chad Morris.  He was a good catch phrase or sound bite, he wasn’t a good coach or leader.  So I’ll say this, I wasn’t against the hire, but the more information I received, my opinion changed.  I would never post any of this if he was still the head coach, but he’s gone and I’ve sat on this for 18 months.  I guess the long reply is like a therapy session for me! 

• Like 1

You have Auburn, Alabama, and LSU just in your division. I’m not sure that’s really desirable job to take. Arkansas is not competing in the SEC anytime soon. Guys like Matt Campbell and Luke Fickell just aren’t going to be interested in that position even if the money was there. Really any up-and-coming hot commodity coach would be smart to stay at their smaller program until they get a better shot than Arkansas. 

1 hour ago, NateDawg said:

You have Auburn, Alabama, and LSU just in your division. I’m not sure that’s really desirable job to take. Arkansas is not competing in the SEC anytime soon. Guys like Matt Campbell and Luke Fickell just aren’t going to be interested in that position even if the money was there. Really any up-and-coming hot commodity coach would be smart to stay at their smaller program until they get a better shot than Arkansas. 

Depends on your goal. You want to go the Saban/Dabo career? Not a good job.

You wanna go the Charlie Weis career and milk boosters dry for a decade? The only better jobs in America are Tennessee and Nebraska.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Depends on your goal. You want to go the Saban/Dabo career? Not a good job.

You wanna go the Charlie Weis career and milk boosters dry for a decade? The only better jobs in America are Tennessee and Nebraska.

Notre Dame and Florida State are throwing their hats into the ring as well.

Just now, ramssuperbowl99 said:

God bless Willie Taggart.

This may warrant a poll, and whoever makes it don't put Auburn exclusively to troll.

Getting paid $17 million NOT TO WORK. Is there a better job in all of football? Programs to consider:

FSU (5 since 2009 including current interim coach)

Nebraska (6 since 2003)

Notre Dame (6 since 2001) with the GOAT hire George O'Leary

Tennessee (5 difference coaches since 2008)

MICHIGAN if they get rid of Harbaugh (4 different coaches since 2007)

Arkansas (6 different coaches since 2007 including their interim HC)

Boston College (4 different coaches since 2006)

Kansas (5 difference coaches since 2009)

North Carolina (5 difference coaches since 2006)