Breaking: Frank De Boer Sacked

UKTexans

As much as I like to preach patience, 0 points in 4 games, 0 goals scored in their first four games (first time since 1935!), it had to be done. Like I said in the EPL thread, they looked better last game, but it's too little too late. They have United, City and Chelsea in their next 4 games, so they could feasibly start 1-3 points from their first 8 games.

Roy Hodgson is apparently the replacement according to the DailyMail. Not sure I like that, but a team with Benteke on it, and that defense should do fine with Roy Ball. As depressing as it might be.

2 minutes ago, Canadian Saint said:

Roy Hodgson is apparently the replacement according to the DailyMail. Not sure I like that, but a team with Benteke on it, and that defense should do fine with Roy Ball. As depressing as it might be.

A panic hire. He achieved a decent level of mediocrity with Fulham, Liverpool, West Brom and England so should be able to stabilise Palace. 

The board must have known De Boer was going to need time. To go from Pulis and Allardyce to De Boer...

Not that De Boer did a great job or anything but Palace handled this so unbelievably poorly. They hired De Boer and signaled that they were committed to a big shift in playing style, and then proceeded to deliver basically no reinforcements to the new manager to help implement his system, leaving him just a bunch of long-term Warnock/Pulis/Big Sam players to try to play a possession style with. Then they pull the plug after 4 games and go right back to their old style with Hodgson - if there was never any conviction or commitment behind a change then De Boer was always going to fail. 

1 hour ago, BaltimoreTerp said:

Not that De Boer did a great job or anything but Palace handled this so unbelievably poorly. They hired De Boer and signaled that they were committed to a big shift in playing style, and then proceeded to deliver basically no reinforcements to the new manager to help implement his system, leaving him just a bunch of long-term Warnock/Pulis/Big Sam players to try to play a possession style with. Then they pull the plug after 4 games and go right back to their old style with Hodgson - if there was never any conviction or commitment behind a change then De Boer was always going to fail. 

Exactly. It's a horrible start but my goodness you shouldnt have hired him in the first place then if you're not gonna give him time. 

I was critical of the De Boer hire ever since it was announced but still seeing a sacking after four matches is something incredible. I honestly think it's the right decision because I don't really rate him as a manager and the side is playing god awful football. I'm not sure what exactly shifting styles to De Boer's style is. He's a pretty defensive manager and I don't think any of his sides he has managed have played a particular style. 

Palace definitely need to find a manager who can lead them for longer than a season or two at a time but I don't think that was De Boer. The bigger mistake is how they bungled the manager signing in the first place, they showed have went after Silva immediately and they messed around and got stuck with De Boer. 

Honestly I think Roy would be a really good manager for Palace. He gets a lot of flack for his time at Liverpool and with England but he has a great track record with mid table clubs and I think he could instill some defensive discipline and get some semblance of a plan together. The only problem I have with it is that it is just kind of avoiding the problem rather than actually fixing it. There is no way he is there for more than two seasons and Palace will be in the same position when he leaves. 

Archived