Can Ryan Tannehill be THE GUY for Tennessee?

patriotsheatyan

3 hours ago, Nabbs4u said:

Tannehil is definitely going to cash in. Sam Bradford, Blake Bortles style. However Tennessee will just be the new version of Miami when he eventually gets hurt or comes crashing harshly back down to earth.

As good as he's playing it's not remotely MVP type level. Just appears that way because Mariota looked just that bad.

This is way off. We’ve posted 3 straight winning seasons with Mariota/Gabbert/Cassell as our signal callers. Tannehill could come crashing down to earth - which if we’re honest, the pre-injury version of himself from 2013-15 was not bad - and he’d still be way better than any of those guys. In fact, his injured 2016 and 2018 seasons are way more productful than anything those guys are capable of and we were still a winning ball club. We’re way more likely to become a perennial playoff team than the new Miami when he does regress to the mean. He never had a top 10 scoring defense or a Derrick Henry to lean on there. You clearly haven’t watched us, which isn’t uncommon though. Most fans and analysts forget we even exist lol

28 minutes ago, dtait93 said:

We’re way more likely to become a perennial playoff team than the new Miami when he does regress to the mean. He never had a top 10 scoring defense or a Derrick Henry to lean on there. You clearly haven’t watched us, which isn’t uncommon though. Most fans and analysts forget we even exist lol

When I said Miami it was about him never staying healthy and eventually getting hurt. Which is what killed several of their seasons. Not the overall talent in Tennessee. The rest of your post is spot on though. That top 10 Defense and Running game is basically making him look like Dak his rookie season.

So instead of worrying about whether or not to pay Mariota FQB money (ship has sailed), that 28-30M (going rate) is now going to Tannehil? They Franchising him? You good with that? Or are Titan fans as delusional as Jerry and Cowboys fans were/are about Dak taking some kind a discount?

1 hour ago, Nabbs4u said:

When I said Miami it was about him never staying healthy and eventually getting hurt. Which is what killed several of their seasons. Not the overall talent in Tennessee. The rest of your post is spot on though. That top 10 Defense and Running game is basically making him look like Dak his rookie season.

So instead of worrying about whether or not to pay Mariota FQB money (ship has sailed), that 28-30M (going rate) is now going to Tannehil? They Franchising him? You good with that? Or are Titan fans as delusional as Jerry and Cowboys fans were/are about Dak taking some kind a discount?

He won’t take a discount, but I also don’t believe he gets 28-30m in a saturated market (Newton, Dalton, Bridgewater, Winston, Mariota, etc), but who knows. It’s all about the structure and guaranteed $ anyways. I’m not near a computer so I can’t really research, but where are you getting 28-30m as the going rate for a QB like Tannehill? 

Edit: His situation is really only similar to Smith (23.5m), Flacco (22.1m), and Foles (22m). And 22-23m is fair value for what he's shown in what will be a 10 game sample size.

Edited by dtait93

2 hours ago, RuskieTitan said:

I'm not a Tannehill fanboy, but you can tell in this thread who has watched him play this season, and who is going off what he showed in Miami.

yeah. he’s obviously not going to maintain this level of play forever- nobody short of the elite QBs in the league could even come close, and he’s not that. but he has been really good in a way that doesn’t seem like a total fluke. the guy flat-out dominated yesterday in a game where derrick henry very clearly wasn’t at 100% and we couldn’t lean on him like we normally do.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, -Hope- said:

yeah. he’s obviously not going to maintain this level of play forever- nobody short of the elite QBs in the league could even come close, and he’s not that. but he has been really good in a way that doesn’t seem like a total fluke. the guy flat-out dominated yesterday in a game where derrick henry very clearly wasn’t at 100% and we couldn’t lean on him like we normally do.

He has earned his shot at being the starter there moving forward for the next couple of years, I think. I definitely would look into a back up young guy to groom (Tannehill will already be 32 next year, which is kind of crazy to think about), but he's absolutely earned his shot at this point. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Nabbs4u said:

Tannehil is definitely going to cash in. Sam Bradford, Blake Bortles style. However Tennessee will just be the new version of Miami when he eventually gets hurt or comes crashing harshly back down to earth.

As good as he's playing it's not remotely MVP type level. Just appears that way because Mariota looked just that bad.

This guy hasn’t watched Titan games and going off Tannys rep, as others have stated. Hate when this kind of stuff happens. Tannehils stats and record projected over a full season and he’s #3 behind Wilson and Lamar for MVP. And not a distant #3, a very very close #3. 

Dude is leading the league in QB Rating, leading the league in Yards Per Attempt dropping dimes short, medium, and deep, great TD-INT Ratio, and a 7-1 Record as a starter. He’s throwing guys open, extending plays in the pocket, and throwing in some great tight windows. 

Tannehil is 100% playing MVP football. 

Edit: I see in your next post you claim the running game is the reason for his success. Seriously lol there. Henry was averaging 3.0 ypc before Tanny and 5.0 with Tannys. Both are at least equal in success, and I would 100% give more of it to Tannehil. 

Edited by BayRaider
  • Like 1

I still think the Titans should just franchise tag him. This would be a rare occasion where it benefits both parties. If Tannehill is the real deal, he will get around highest paid QB money after 2020 if he has a remotely similar season, whereas I can't imagine he gets more than $30m/year for what would be a hot 10ish game stretch. Sure, in the event he does have a good 2020, Titans could have saved $5m+/year by signing him now rather than waiting, but I think that extra price is worth it over risking signing him to a long term deal now only to find themselves in a QB purgatory again.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, ET80 said:

Mariota was always the starter - Tennessee wanted to give him every single opportunity to live up to his draft spot, but anyone who watched saw that Tannehill was better.

This is one of the biggest problems in sports. Draft status or money gets in the way of who is the better player. I'm glad Tannehill is having success on a new team.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Nads786 said:

This is one of the biggest problems in sports. Draft status or money gets in the way of who is the better player. I'm glad Tannehill is having success on a new team.

I heard a former D-1 Football HC say the same (and a baseball HC backed him up) about how some of these mid-tier coaches will play a scholarship kid over a walk on because of the pressure boosters bring about getting a return on their investment/blaming the coach for not recruiting the right kids. What a shame.

2 hours ago, BayRaider said:

Tannehil is 100% playing MVP football. 

Let me preface this by saying, I agree with you. I don't think there's any denying he's playing to that level or that he's a legitimate top 5 MVP candidate. The issue is that this was also said about Andy Dalton in 2015 when everything was optimal on a stacked Bengals offense. Given his history and his age, I just don't buy (yet) that something has clicked for Ryan and he's now a legitimate top 10 QB. The Titans should be proceeding with caution.

1 minute ago, SmittyBacall said:

Let me preface this by saying, I agree with you. I don't think there's any denying he's playing to that level or that he's a legitimate top 5 MVP candidate. The issue is that this was also said about Andy Dalton in 2015 when everything was optimal on a stacked Bengals offense. Given his history and his age, I just don't buy (yet) that something has clicked for Ryan and he's now a legitimate top 10 QB. The Titans should be proceeding with caution.

I do agree, yes. Dalton was Top 3 MVP candidate in 2015 and Carr was Top 3 in 2016. We both know they are very similar and in the range of 18-22 ranked QBs. 

However, there is no denying he is playing at a MVP level right now, no question. Can he maintain? Probably not this level but I do think Tannehil can be a Top 10-12 QB. I’ve always believed he’s better than he showed on Miami. I’ve never felt the same way about Carr or Dalton.