AFC Wildcard Race Discussion

BayRaider

Bunch of teams coming down to the wire. This is a straight up dog fight. I think the Bills will go 10-6 and definitely hang on to one of the spots, whether it's #5 or #6. However, the other wildcard spot is completely up for grabs.

Current Picture:

#5 Buffalo Bills 6-3

#6 Pittsburgh Steelers 5-4

In the hunt:

#7 Oakland Raiders 5-4

#8 Indianapolis Colts 5-4

#9 Tennessee Titans 5-5

#10 Jacksonville Jaguars 4-5

Very Outside Chance:

#11 Los Angeles Chargers 4-6

#13 Cleveland Browns 3-6 (easy schedule)

Broncos are #12 but I don't think they have a shot honestly at 3-6 with their schedule.

Personally I wouldn't be all that surprised if ANY of these teams from #5 to #10 make it in. It's gonna be close.

Colts IMO are fading and will finish 9-7 which won't be enough. Winner needs to go 10-6 probably (or 9-7 tie breaker, which Colts don't have).

Raiders are heating up and get their softer schedule to end the year after a brutal first half. Titans are also severely heating up and 3-1 under Tannehil. They are playing HARD.

Steelers defense is LEGIT. Very good. I just don't think they get in with Mason but anything can happen. They have a really really easy schedule going forward so it's certainly possible.

What do you guys think? Go look at schedules and see who you think might end up getting in.

Like I said, gonna be a dog fight.

Edited by BayRaider

I think the Raiders definitely get in. The team seems to be trending up, and I don't see a single "daunting" game on their schedule outside of @Chiefs.

Colts would have been in a great position if Brissett didn't get hurt, but now they're losing to teams like the Dolphins. So even though their remaining schedule isn't THAT tough, they can literally lose to anyone with Hoyer (or even a banged up Brissett) at QB.

Bills have built a good lead but they have a sneaky tough schedule starting from Thanksgiving till their last game against the Jets. They need to win their next two (@Miami and vsDen), otherwise they might be in trouble. 

Steelers are a good darkhorse pick. If they beat the Bills at home, split with the Browns, and win their other games (toughest is @ARI), they might not even need to win against BAL in Week 17.

Everyone else just has too many losses to make it in IMO.

Edited by Slingin' Sammy

If the Bills don't win their next two games (@MIA, Den). They won't be making the playoffs. They could easily lose 4 in a row after that Bronco game before returning home against the Jets in week 17.

Playing with the playoff predictor I got this:

1. Baltimore 13-3
2. New England 13-3
3. KC 11-5
4. Houston 10-6
5. Oakland 11-5
6. Buffalo 10-6

Pittsburgh 9-7

9 minutes ago, Trentwannabe said:

If the Bills don't win their next two games (@MIA, Den). They won't be making the playoffs. They could easily lose 4 in a row after that Bronco game before returning home against the Jets in week 17.

Playing with the playoff predictor I got this:

1. Baltimore 13-3
2. New England 13-3
3. KC 11-5
4. Houston 10-6
5. Oakland 11-5
6. Buffalo 10-6

Pittsburgh 9-7

That bullish on the Raiders eh? I like. 

Messing with the playoff predictor I have

1. Patriots - 15-1

2. Ravens - 13-3

3. Chiefs - 11-5

4. Texans 10-6 

5. Steelers 11-5 

6. Raiders 10-6 

It's going to be a dogfight all the way to the finish, but I seem to have the Raiders and Steelers as best set up for a playoff push based on current record and schedule ahead. Bills (9-7) and Titans (8-8) are the first 2 out..

Edited by Mr Raider

2 minutes ago, Mr Raider said:

Messing with the playoff predictor I have

1. Patriots - 15-1

2. Ravens - 13-3

3. Chiefs - 11-5

4. Texans 10-6 

5. Steelers 11-5 

6. Raiders 10-6 

It's going to be a dogfight all the way to the finish, but I seem to have the Raiders and Steelers as best set up for a playoff push based on current record and schedule ahead. Bills and Titans are the first 2 out..

These records are way too generous. 

Some people just never pick upsets. 

Gotta pick some bro. 25-30% are upsets every week. 

I said a week ago in the Raider thread not to sleep on the Steelers, and I definitely stand by that now. Did the playoff predictor a couple days ago and came out with the Steelers and Raiders as wildcards, with Pats, Ravens, Chiefs, Texans winning their divisions, and I definitely stand by that now. Only possible difference is the Raiders may pass the Chiefs for the division. I think they both make it regardless, though. Could see a world where the Raiders end 11-5 just losing to us, and we drop to New England and once to LAC to get to 10-6. But, prior to this week I thought the Raiders and Chiefs would both split the Chargers, and I'll stand pat on that. Raiders end 10-6 and lose a tiebreaker to us, but beat out Buffalo and Indy. I think Buffalo and Indy spiral down the stretch and it doesn't wind up overly close, honestly. The Titans just have too many losable games to me.

Crazy how much things change in a few weeks. Colts were sitting nice before Jacoby went down they would have been at least 6-3 if he played the last two. Still have these 3 division games next but things aren't looking good oh well.

Also I''m so done with Adam V. this year he has left 21!!! freaking points off the field this year

Edited by Blackstar12
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, wackywabbit said:

Pittsburgh's schedule is easier than Cleveland's because Pittsburgh plays Cleveland twice while Cleveland plays Pittsburgh twice.

steelers had the better teams in their schedule early on, front loaded some would call it.  They will have what appear to be much easier opponents but I cringe as I type that since this team has had a history of playing down to competition. 

OP: I think the Raiders are a team to reckon with though, as they have the OL and running game to travel and control games. This AFC playoff picture will be interesting to say the least.  I don't see the bills getting in though.  

The Ravens are the best team right now but this changes weekly. Another team that runs the ball well and they have the X-factor at QB, possibly MVP especially if he keeps this going, just scary if he does.