AFC Wildcard Race Discussion

BayRaider

15 hours ago, BlaqOptic said:

You know, except for the fact that the Steelers Defense in the first two weeks didn't have arguably their best player in Minkah Fitzpatrick. But sure, definitely the same thing, right? Acting as if it's "cherry picking" is disingenuous bullcrap.

The only thing I have a problem with is you guys saying the Steelers D is better than the Bills, that’s the only issue I have. It’s not. 

• Like 1

On 12/2/2019 at 2:09 PM, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

It won't look the same at all. But this is assuming:

• Roman wants to be a HC
  • Ravens let him get poached

He's already essentially getting paid as a HC here (we promoted him this past offseason) and he has full control over this vision. I really hope we don't let him leave.

2 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Not sure if this is based on Glazer knowing Roman wants to be a HC, or Glazer assuming that a team will hire Roman based on what he's accomplished this year in Baltimore.

Not sure either since I’m not subscribed to The Athletic. Glazer tends to know his crap though

Not sure if this is based on Glazer knowing Roman wants to be a HC, or Glazer assuming that a team will hire Roman based on what he's accomplished this year in Baltimore.

Probably the latter. Roman has had a Top 15 Offense his entire career totaling three teams. His consistency is quite impressive. 

9 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

Probably the latter. Roman has had a Top 15 Offense his entire career totaling three teams. His consistency is quite impressive. 

I was surprised he didn't get a HC gig after SF with Kaepernick.

Then surprised again when he didn't get one after Buffalo with Tyrod.

Both of those offense overperformed given the talent at QB they had. It's not really surprising that Roman is able to do this with Lamar given how much better he is than Kaepernick and Tyrod.

I was surprised he didn't get a HC gig after SF with Kaepernick.

Then surprised again when he didn't get one after Buffalo with Tyrod.

Both of those offense overperformed given the talent at QB they had. It's not really surprising that Roman is able to do this with Lamar given how much better he is than Kaepernick and Tyrod.

The great OCs only last a year before becoming a HC, a shame. Hopefully Ravens can find someone that’s not too big of a drop off. People always underestimate OC’s, they are usually just as important as QBs if not more, unless you are Peyton Manning who has his own system in his brain. Although Raven fans know the importance of an OC more than most. 

A prime example would be Matt Ryan. Best OC in football in 2016 in Kyle. Best QB in the NFL. 2017 terrible OC, Ryan Top 20ish QB. 2018, Top 5 OC, the guy from Alabama. Matt Ryan quietly had a Top 2-3 QB season, completely dominant. 2019, bad OC (I mean he has nothing this year though as well...)

Point is OC and QB go hand in hand. Unless the HC is basically the OC like Gruden, Reid, McVay, or Shanahan. 

6 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

The great OCs only last a year before becoming a HC, a shame. Hopefully Ravens can find someone that’s not too big of a drop off. People always underestimate OC’s, they are usually just as important as QBs if not more, unless you are Peyton Manning who has his own system in his brain. Although Raven fans know the importance of an OC more than most. 

A prime example would be Matt Ryan. Best OC in football in 2016 in Kyle. Best QB in the NFL. 2017 terrible OC, Ryan Top 20ish QB. 2018, Top 5 OC, the guy from Alabama. Matt Ryan quietly had a Top 2-3 QB season, completely dominant. 2019, bad OC (I mean he has nothing this year though as well...)

Point is OC and QB go hand in hand. Unless the HC is basically the OC like Gruden, Reid, McVay, or Shanahan. 

My best guess would be that if Roman does in fact leave, James Urban would be promoted to OC. He's currently the QB's coach.

5 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

My best guess would be that if Roman does in fact leave, James Urban would be promoted to OC. He's currently the QB's coach.

Does he have experience? QB coach to OC almost never works. I remember when the 2016 Raiders dumped their OC and promoted their QB coach. We went from #4 offense to #30 or so with the exact same roster lol. 

I mean sometimes it works, I just hate unproven OCs with a passion. 

4 minutes ago, wwhickok said:

I definitely think Greg Roman will be the front runner for the Cleveland and Carolina jobs

Mobile QBs seems to be his forte. If he becomes Panthers HC, Newton could be a real sleeper in fantasy and possibly revive his career as a Top 10 QB. 

• Like 2