Thoughts on Zeke?

Tony7188

Is Zeke declined?  

17 members have voted

1. 1. Has Zeke declined?

• Yes
    • No
    • Too early to tell

My immediate thoughts is that he looks nothing like he did his rookie year. His first season he could get a handoff/screen and take it to the house. Now in his 4th year he looks like a power back who struggles to get to the edge.  I know OL sucked in run blocking this year, but he seems to have lost a step. 

Thoughts?

Edited by Tony7188

He never got a chance to come close to the edge. Constant hand offs were he had purple jerseys on him before he could even think to make a move. And absolutely no holes to run through. 

on the other side you had cook who was getting huge holes and building up tons of momentum before first contact ( which he was destroying). 

• Like 1

I'm beginning to think that if Zeke doesn't get off to a good start, he can lose interest pretty quickly.

At the same time, I wonder if there is mounting frustration. Zeke ran the ball 20 times tonight, I believe 80% of those came on 1st down. Is there anything about that, that is conducive to success? I can see where losing interest might become an issue. I mean, how thrilled would you be in this situation?

Edited by WizardHawk

He looked awesome the last 3, 4 games. But he was terrible tonight. I want to see the All22, but from what I saw during the game, he was hesitant, slow and made little effort to cutback. 

I also am starting to get annoyed at how often he dives for 3 yards instead of staying on his feet and trying to get 10 yards. 

9 hours ago, WizardHawk said:

I'm beginning to think that if Zeke doesn't get off to a good start, he can lose interest pretty quickly.

I don't think I buy this. Dude is still a monster in pass protection even when he isn't running well, which I'd imagine would see a dropoff if he was "losing interest".

The fact is, it's hard to run the ball when the other team is dedicated to stopping it. And even if you are "successful", let's say 5-6ypc, it still doesn't make sense to run it every first down.

29 minutes ago, DaBoys said:

He doesn't do well after time off. He was getting his rythem before the bye week. Plus the Vikings were keying on him, and letting Dak do whatever he wanted. 

Lets think of this logically. We played mostly 11 personnel, so:

3 WRs = 3 DBs

Base 4-3 = 7 in the front w/1 safety

*or*

Nickle = 6 in the front w/2 safeties

As far as I could tell, the Vikings played a decent amount of base with a deep safety. They brought him up a few times, but they always dropped him. They faked LB blitzes, but at most they sent 1 (so its 5 OL v 5 defenders). 

In Nickle they did blitz Harrison Smith a few times.... But it was pass blitz not run blitz (generally). A lot of times they just flashed the look of him run blitzing, but he just covered the flats (which I presume you could construe is playing the run). 

I know that Chris Collingsworth said over and over that "the vikings are game planning for Zeke". But literally every slowmo replay they showed was about how the LBs/Safeties were faking run blitzes and dropping into coverage. 

I think if you watched that game on mute, you would not have this narrative that the Vikings were selling out for Zeke. Especially the second half. They were playing coverage. 

Edited by Matts4313

9 hours ago, DaBoys said:

You may be the only person to think that. The secondary was wide open all night, and there were defenders in the backfield 

9 hours ago, DaBoys said:

He doesn't do well after time off. He was getting his rythem before the bye week. Plus the Vikings were keying on him, and letting Dak do whatever he wanted. 

"They were willing to cover Zeke with 6 man boxes all night." "They were playing coverage to make sure they werent beat over the top"

Seriously look at those big arse holes that Zeke missed on the first few runs. 

1 hour ago, Matts4313 said:

"They were willing to cover Zeke with 6 man boxes all night." "They were playing coverage to make sure they werent beat over the top"

Seriously look at those big arse holes that Zeke missed on the first few runs. 

When did I say they were stacking the box? I said there were defenders in the backfield, and there was. I said Dak was doing whatever he wanted, and he did. It looked like they had Zeke's number last night. 

22 minutes ago, DaBoys said:

When did I say they were stacking the box? I said there were defenders in the backfield, and there was. I said Dak was doing whatever he wanted, and he did. It looked like they had Zeke's number last night. 

6 man boxes is the opposite of "keying on him" and the "the secondary was wide open". They were playing coverage. 

And when I said they were playing coverages, you told me "you (me) might be the only person to think that". 

Not trying to be argumentative, but between this and reddit, literally 90% of the post have been "the vikings sold out to stop Zeke"... which last night looked false, and seeing coach breakdown proves it was false (at least in his opinion).