Tony7188

Is Zeke declined?  

17 members have voted

1. 1. Has Zeke declined?

• Yes
    • No
    • Too early to tell

1 hour ago, Matts4313 said:

Its not just in my mind that he looks slower. Obviously some slow down is expected with age. But the dude is like 24 I think 

This is troubling.  Hindsight is always 20/20.  Draft rb's. But don't extend them.  Too much wear and tear.  Let someone else pick up the tab beyond the rookie deal.  What's really disturbing is Zeke is only 24.  The taco training regimen didn't help.

12 hours ago, Nextyearfordaboyz said:

I don't think I buy this. Dude is still a monster in pass protection even when he isn't running well, which I'd imagine would see a dropoff if he was "losing interest".

The fact is, it's hard to run the ball when the other team is dedicated to stopping it. And even if you are "successful", let's say 5-6ypc, it still doesn't make sense to run it every first down.

In the end you're probably right, but as @Matts4313 said, Zeke seems to be pretty easy to get off his feet anymore. That's not the guy I recall seeing in the past. Balance, vision, and hard nosed running is what I recall. That doesn't show up like it use to, imo.

2 hours ago, Matts4313 said:

Its not just in my mind that he looks slower. Obviously some slow down is expected with age. But the dude is like 24 I think 

Shocked A full 10% drop in speed?  That's pretty concerning to say the least.  

Career touches - 

NFL (49 games) - 1,107 (1,046 carries / 161 rec)

Ohio St (35 games) -  653 (592 carries / 58 rec / 3 KO/PR)

-------------------------------------------------------

84 games / 1,760 touches

1,700-1,800 touches isn't out of line for a RB over that time frame. 

If this is the type of drop off we can expect going forward, Dallas is boned in the near future with that contract. 

Edited by WizardHawk

7 hours ago, Matts4313 said:

This is EXACTLY what I wanted to see. Zeke is a shell of his rookie year self where he had elite agility and burst. The Cowboys drafted Zeke at #4 because he was supposed to be a homerun hitter and have that extra gear. He's lost a step (or two) at an unbelievably fast rate. I'm speechless, I don't think I've ever seen an elite RB's speed decline so fast (w/o a serious injury).

Edited by Tony7188

29 minutes ago, Tony7188 said:

This is EXACTLY what I wanted to see. Zeke is a shell of his rookie year self where he had elite agility and burst. The Cowboys drafted Zeke at #4 because he was supposed to be a homerun hitter and have that extra gear. He's lost a step (or two) at an unbelievably fast rate. I'm speechless, I don't think I've ever seen an elite RB's speed decline so fast (w/o a serious injury).

This seems a bit hyperbolic. 

14 hours ago, Matts4313 said:

Has he had 1 "break away" run all year? 

He was getting smacked around the Vikings...why don't these threads ever pop off when he rattles off 120+? Doesn't really matter if Zeke is not a home run hitter, that is not the key to our success or failures.  Failure to get him the ball in space sure is. 

13 hours ago, Matts4313 said:

6 man boxes is the opposite of "keying on him" and the "the secondary was wide open". They were playing coverage. 

And when I said they were playing coverages, you told me "you (me) might be the only person to think that". 

Not trying to be argumentative, but between this and reddit, literally 90% of the post have been "the vikings sold out to stop Zeke"... which last night looked false, and seeing coach breakdown proves it was false (at least in his opinion). 

Playing man all night and safeties and LBS dropping in and out maybe it was tradition stacked 8 man boxes, but to say they were not focused on the run the entire night is just a bad take. 

2 hours ago, acowboys62 said:

Has he had 1 "break away" run all year? 

He was getting smacked around the Vikings...why don't these threads ever pop off when he rattles off 120+? Doesn't really matter if Zeke is not a home run hitter, that is not the key to our success or failures.  Failure to get him the ball in space sure is. 

were you missing the first 3-4 games of the season? He was putting up big numbers and the entire forum was still saying the same thing about him being slow...

2 hours ago, acowboys62 said:

Playing man all night and safeties and LBS dropping in and out maybe it was tradition stacked 8 man boxes, but to say they were not focused on the run the entire night is just a bad take. 

They werent prioritizing the run over the pass. The announcers made it sound like the vikings were selling their soul to stop Zeke. 

5 hours ago, acowboys62 said:

Find me one game this year where Zeke was not touched and did not take it for a big gain, please I will wait. 

You have to be joking. There was evidence Zeke might've been slowing down a year or two ago (when reporters asked him about his speed), but now it's as clear as day. Those runs he had for a big gain in the beginning of this season, he takes to the house as a rookie. 

Edited by Tony7188