Tony7188

Is Zeke declined?  

17 members have voted

1. 1. Has Zeke declined?

• Yes
    • No
    • Too early to tell

33 minutes ago, Tony7188 said:

Maybe a little bit. But do you believe Zeke still has the speed to make these kind of plays?

His heel toe dance moves might not be as smooth anymore. 

Nope. At least not right now. 

Just read that the vikings only stacked the box on 10% of the plays. That is an absurdly low number for how badly they stopped Zeke.

5 hours ago, Matts4313 said:

were you missing the first 3-4 games of the season? He was putting up big numbers and the entire forum was still saying the same thing about him being slow...

They werent prioritizing the run over the pass. The announcers made it sound like the vikings were selling their soul to stop Zeke. 

No, I was here, reminding those that had their hair on fire that he is a notorious slow starter. Has Zeke been all world, absolutely not.  Has Zeke lived up to his contract, absolutely not, I would argue the only sports player to live up to a contract is Tom Brady given how overpaid all of these guys are. Yet somehow Zeke is still will probably finish top 5 in rushing yards and it is not enough for people here because he isn't hitting home runs every game. The bar sure has been set high.  This place is really going to explode when we pay Dak and Amari and they are all world every week.  

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

Makes you wonder why it took them so long to discover the passing game.  Also pretty sure he posted a lower yard per carry in 2017, but I am sure that doesn't count because the 10 games he played can't be matched up against the 9 games hes played this year. 

2 minutes ago, acowboys62 said:

Yet somehow Zeke is still will probably finish top 5 in rushing yards

I dont think I really need to quote my position on this and how irrelevant it is to winning.

My issue with Zeke is he is leaving a lot on the field. I know he can carry it 25 times for 4.5 yards and have over 100 most every game. What annoys me is he just doesnt look like himself. No agility, no cutbacks. Did you see Cook? Thats what Zeke used to look like. Running through arm tackles, great vision. Turning 3 yards into 8 regularly. 

But I do want to say this: His role in the pass game has really been superb. His blitz pick up was amazing. And in previous games, he provided a little something extra as a receiver also. 

3 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

I dont think I really need to quote my position on this and how irrelevant it is to winning.

My issue with Zeke is he is leaving a lot on the field. I know he can carry it 25 times for 4.5 yards and have over 100 most every game. What annoys me is he just doesnt look like himself. No agility, no cutbacks. Did you see Cook? Thats what Zeke used to look like. Running through arm tackles, great vision. Turning 3 yards into 8 regularly. 

But I do want to say this: His role in the pass game has really been superb. His blitz pick up was amazing. And in previous games, he provided a little something extra as a receiver also. 

Well and at least you acknowledge that. I never wanted to pay Zeke or any RB, but way too many people on this forum speak as if he is the worst RB int he league.  Is he worth his contact, HELL NO...is any RB? Maybe 1 every decade.  Zeke is not nearly as agile as he once was but I will say he is much more aggressive in terms of seeking contact than he was as a rookie (thinking coaching has anything to do with that?).  Zeke got that contact because of all of those other things as well.  There is no better RB in the NFL at picking up the blitz, not even close.  Why we don't use him in the pass game more is beyond me and how we do not run screens anymore makes me want to rip my hair out.  My only point in all of this back and forth is (like you said) what the RB does is not that important so whether he rips off 1 20 yard run or 4 5 yard run does not matter.  The coaches are not putting him in a good position to be efficient. 

Watched the video...love Baldys stuff but a few observations...and I say this as someone who did not want to pay Zeke or any RB any amount of money beyond their rookie contract. The problem currently is not Zeke it is the OLine as a run line has regressed to be at best middle of the road if now bottom half of the league.  Why is no one up in arms about those high paid guys who are failing to do their jobs? Zeke has hardly been great enough to overcome their issues, but our currently run blocking and our coaches insistence to continue to rely on it is downright pathetic. 

At the 1 min mark where the does not run over the LB no the Rams...he does not point out that the DB is hanging onto Zekes feet.  Few players in history can run through a guy who outweigh them by 15-30 pounds with another person hanging onto their feet. Try getting any leverage and keep your momentum going after that. 

At the 1:25 min mark the saints have 8 men in the box, bring in Cobb which brings a 9th man into the box vs 8 for Dallas, 93 is hitting Zeke before the LOS and it is 100% on Zeke that he losses a fumble which arguably in the long scheme of that game costs us the game, however...what type of **** play calling is that?  Let's run 7 vs 8 oh actually let's make the LOS more crowded and run 8 vs 9. Trash all around

At the 1:37 min mark 6 guys in the box and the safeties are not back...only 1 is back with the other creeping in and coming down into the box, O Line gets blown up and yea some no name guy stuffs Zeke, but what cut back or alternate lane was available? Oh and the fact that a Cowboy player trips Zeke because he let his man carry him down the line, so sure it looks like a pancake for Martin but he got absolutely bull rushed down the line into the play. At 2:00 min he says the play is not horribly blocked...please watch that video and tell me that is a valid take

At the 2:30 min mark, Zeke 100% could have cut that and voided that contact, that is on him. But we need to please acknowledge the called a run there vs a 9 man box and had once again were running 9 v 8...just stupid from the start. Zeke should have overcome that however. 

At the 3:15 min mark, confused entirely by Baldys take on this. Collins lets Hunter go as he should...Frederick completed missed on Kendricks, like absolutely whiffed.  Hunter is unreal around the edge on that play and hits Zeke. Not sure where they are on the field here but the ball is 1 yard shy of the main line...Zeke is lined up 5-6 yards behind that spot and gets the ball 5 yards behind the LOS.  Zeke has 7 yards to gain for the first down based on the distance...Hunter and Kendricks unlocked have 1 yard to get into the backfield. Please someone who played RB or Oline or coaches explain to me why Zeke should easily make 2 yards there? At 3:31 Baldy says Zeke can make that, but the time Zeke has full possession of the ball he has 5-6 yards to go and Hunter is already squared up on the LOS with Kendrick right behind. I just do not see how anyone in their right mind things that is the correct take on that play. 

...Need to go back to work, but the question is not what happened to Zeke, it should be what happened to the highest paid Oline in the NFL?

"Loses interest"

All of the following can be true

1. Runningbacks are just not that valuable to winning in the NFL. Both drafting him and extending him were likely inefficient uses of resources.
  2. Zeke has not been as explosive this year, and he had a bad game especially against the Vikings
  3. He shouldn't be overused just to justify the fact that we paid him. 
  4. He's still a really good football player who brings a lot to the field. And we already signed him, so let's move on. Zeke's not even on the radar for biggest issues this team has right now.

34 minutes ago, Nextyearfordaboyz said:

All of the following can be true

1. Runningbacks are just not that valuable to winning in the NFL. Both drafting him and extending him were likely inefficient uses of resources.
  2. Zeke has not been as explosive this year, and he had a bad game especially against the Vikings
  3. He shouldn't be overused just to justify the fact that we paid him. 
  4. He's still a really good football player who brings a lot to the field. And we already signed him, so let's move on. Zeke's not even on the radar for biggest issues this team has right now.

I think all of those are 100% true. 

I saw Zeke making several cuts when the hole just wasnt there in the Vikings game just to make it back to the line of scrimmage. He still has his burst and power but seems to be favoring finding the best hole rather then making one himself this year. Which I do not think that is a bad thing. 

Edited by Calvert28
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, acowboys62 said:

Watched the video...love Baldys stuff but a few observations...and I say this as someone who did not want to pay Zeke or any RB any amount of money beyond their rookie contract. The problem currently is not Zeke it is the OLine as a run line has regressed to be at best middle of the road if now bottom half of the league.  Why is no one up in arms about those high paid guys who are failing to do their jobs? Zeke has hardly been great enough to overcome their issues, but our currently run blocking and our coaches insistence to continue to rely on it is downright pathetic. 

At the 1 min mark where the does not run over the LB no the Rams...he does not point out that the DB is hanging onto Zekes feet.  Few players in history can run through a guy who outweigh them by 15-30 pounds with another person hanging onto their feet. Try getting any leverage and keep your momentum going after that. 

At the 1:25 min mark the saints have 8 men in the box, bring in Cobb which brings a 9th man into the box vs 8 for Dallas, 93 is hitting Zeke before the LOS and it is 100% on Zeke that he losses a fumble which arguably in the long scheme of that game costs us the game, however...what type of **** play calling is that?  Let's run 7 vs 8 oh actually let's make the LOS more crowded and run 8 vs 9. Trash all around

At the 1:37 min mark 6 guys in the box and the safeties are not back...only 1 is back with the other creeping in and coming down into the box, O Line gets blown up and yea some no name guy stuffs Zeke, but what cut back or alternate lane was available? Oh and the fact that a Cowboy player trips Zeke because he let his man carry him down the line, so sure it looks like a pancake for Martin but he got absolutely bull rushed down the line into the play. At 2:00 min he says the play is not horribly blocked...please watch that video and tell me that is a valid take

At the 2:30 min mark, Zeke 100% could have cut that and voided that contact, that is on him. But we need to please acknowledge the called a run there vs a 9 man box and had once again were running 9 v 8...just stupid from the start. Zeke should have overcome that however. 

At the 3:15 min mark, confused entirely by Baldys take on this. Collins lets Hunter go as he should...Frederick completed missed on Kendricks, like absolutely whiffed.  Hunter is unreal around the edge on that play and hits Zeke. Not sure where they are on the field here but the ball is 1 yard shy of the main line...Zeke is lined up 5-6 yards behind that spot and gets the ball 5 yards behind the LOS.  Zeke has 7 yards to gain for the first down based on the distance...Hunter and Kendricks unlocked have 1 yard to get into the backfield. Please someone who played RB or Oline or coaches explain to me why Zeke should easily make 2 yards there? At 3:31 Baldy says Zeke can make that, but the time Zeke has full possession of the ball he has 5-6 yards to go and Hunter is already squared up on the LOS with Kendrick right behind. I just do not see how anyone in their right mind things that is the correct take on that play. 

...Need to go back to work, but the question is not what happened to Zeke, it should be what happened to the highest paid Oline in the NFL?

Who's been bad on the O-line this year?

Tyron? He's cheap contract wise as far as LT's go

Martin? Highest paid Guard - Is he not playing up to the $$

Frederick? - Has he not returned to form, Is he a shell of his former self?

Williams? It can't all be just one guy, every line has a weak link

La'el? Everything I've read says this has been a career year for him