Has McVay been overrated?

patriotsheatyan

Has McVay been overrated  

63 members have voted

1. 1. Has McVay been overrated

• Yes
    • No

7 hours ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Gurley hasn't been playing terrible, that OL has regressed MASSIVELY from last year to this year - and so did Goff tbh.

Yes, I don't think any QB will look very competent behind a porous OL.   It is hard to find open receivers when you are running for your life.

59 minutes ago, thebestever6 said:

I think Les Snead is more overrated than Mcvay logging out of my account now mic drop lol.

They certainly swing for the fences with big trades and FA signings. Now are suffering from bad Oline play. And limited resources the next couple seasons after the Ramsey trade.

McVey, like Shanahan come from the Gruden tree and they use the running game to set everything else up. So if you're Oline is leaky, there are going to be problems. 

McVey is not overrated. He's a great coach and leader. Teams are going to go through ups and downs. They had some attrition on the Oline and it's lead to some issues but McVey is still a winning coach 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

They certainly swing for the fences with big trades and FA signings. Now are suffering from bad Oline play. And limited resources the next couple seasons after the Ramsey trade.

I just view the Ramsey trade as worse off than Trading for OBJ(also hated). Two firsts and a 4th?? I mean those two firsts if nothing else restock your line, trench play is the most sustainable metric for consistency and playoff births.

I have no doubt Ramsey can come up big in a big moment similarly to OBJ if he ever got to one. The challenge now is getting to one consistently with limited resources the next couple of years. The team will notice it for sure.

Edited by thebestever6

2 minutes ago, dtait93 said:

I remember some Ram fan laying claim to Goff being similar to Peyton Manning and me saying he’s more like Matt Ryan than anything and getting chastised for it. Lmao. 

What's wrong with being Matt Ryan? Borderline hall of fame guy whose peak is a MVP.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Hunter2_1 said:

If we're to take criticism of Goff with a grain of salt, due to the above, by the same token should us non-Rams fans take his positive acclamation with a grain of salt as well? Because there have been instances on here where if someone hasn't accepted Goff as a top (10 for example) QB, they get corrected pretty quickly.

We need to wait for Brady to reach 45 before we can really say what he is or isn't at quarterback as well. Lol.

• Like 1

Im sorry but this is exactly whats wrong with this society today. Give a guy too much credit too soon, then ready to take it away too soon. McVay is a great coach. He is no different that Payton. Payton has been with the Saints for 13 seasons now, has one Superbowl and the league basically said that was the Bountygate. Which btw in the NFCCG Vikings fans felt the same way that Saints fans feel in the NFCCG with the Rams. Since that Superbowl the Saints lost to (7-9) Seahawks, Smith when he was with the Niners, Seahawks again, went three straight seasons of (7-9), then lost to Keenum and the Vikings, then Goff and the Rams. I didnt even mention how the seasons before they won the Superbowl they lost to Grossman and the Bears then went (7-9) and (8-8). So write the narrative all you want about the Saints but take this for what its worth, McVay first 3 seasons so far with the Rams have been more successful than Payton first 3 seasons with the Saints AND overall its not like Payton has been killing it with the Saints looking at his track record but nobody will sit hear and say he is overrated. I think Payton is a great coach too and thought that when he signed with the Saints in 2006 and saw the instant turnaround. I find it actually funny someone would actually think McVay is overrated. The guy went to the playoffs in his first two seasons, right now the Rams sit in the 7th spot 1.5 game back of Minnesota out of the last wildcard spot. So even in a tough season for the Rams they still are in great position to get into the playoffs. Now have the Rams underachieved so far this season? Yes. But the main two goals for teams every season is win your division and if you cant do that just get into the playoffs. Doesnt look like the Rams will win the division but they are in great shape as we stand today to get into the playoffs because they are not that far behind the Vikings and even right there with the Seahawks whom they play again this season.

Now if we look at McVay from a pure coaching perspective again I think he is similar to Payton because just look at yesterday. My friend and I was talking and he was utterly disgusted the Saints only ran the ball 11 times. He said Payton went McVay and its funny because McVay didnt give Gurley a touch in the 4th quarter. Like Gurley started to get hot in the 2nd half and the Rams offense was moving and in a close game I dont know why McVay thought it was a good idea to not give Gurley the ball in crunch time? So to me some of McVay decisions especially when it comes to running the ball is puzzling. But again in terms of McVay being overrated, he isnt. Again I think it goes back to what I originally said in this society too quick to crown someone or too quick to bury someone. 

Edited by stl4life07
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, stl4life07 said:

Im sorry but this is exactly whats wrong with this society today. Give a guy too much credit too soon, then ready to ****** it away too soon. McVay is a great coach. He is no different that Payton. Payton has been with the Saints for 13 seasons now, has one Superbowl and the league basically said that was the Bountygate. Which btw in the NFCCG Vikings fans felt the same way that Saints fans feel in the NFCCG with the Rams. Since that Superbowl the Saints lost to (7-9) Seahawks, Smith when he was with the Niners, Seahawks again, went three straight seasons of (7-9), then lost to Keenum and the Vikings, then Goff and the Rams. I didnt even mention how the seasons before they won the Superbowl they lost to Grossman and the Bears then went (7-9) and (8-8). So write the narrative all you want about the Saints but take this for what its worth, McVay first 3 seasons so far with the Rams have been more successful than Payton first 3 seasons with the Saints AND overall its not like Payton has been killing it with the Saints looking at his track record but nobody will sit hear and say he is overrated. I find it actually funny someone would actually think McVay is overrated. The guy went to the playoffs in his first two seasons, right now the Rams sit in the 7th spot 1.5 game back of Minnesota out of the last wildcard spot. So even in a tough season for the Rams they still are in great position to get into the playoffs. Now have the Rams underachieved so far this season? Yes. But the main two goals for teams every season is win your division and if you cant do that just get into the playoffs. Doesnt look like the Rams will win the division but they are in great shape as we stand today to get into the playoffs because they are not that far behind the Vikings and even right there with the Seahawks whom they play again this season.

Now if we look at McVay from a pure coaching perspective again I think he is similar to Payton because just look at yesterday. My friend and I was talking and he was utterly disgusted the Saints only ran the ball 11 times. He said Payton went McVay and its funny because McVay didnt give Gurley a touch in the 4th quarter. Like Gurley started to get hot in the 2nd half and the Rams offense was moving and in a close game I dont know why McVay thought it was a good idea to not give Gurley the ball in crunch time? So to me some of McVay decisions especially when it comes to running the ball is puzzling. But again in terms of McVay being overrated, he isnt. Again I think it goes back to what I originally said in this society too quick to crown someone or too quick to bury someone. 

It's OK, we won't know what he is for another 3-5 years. When he's doing well, he's coach of the year. When he's not - it's ok, we'll give it 4 years. Not sure why Payton has been brought up?

Edited by Hunter2_1

2 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

Is that a surprise to anyone though given how old that OL was/is.

Wait, are you saying the OL is bad because it's not old enough (inexperienced) or too old? Because it's not that old. It was old last year maybe with Saffold and Sullivan. The ages of the starters week 1 were 37, 24, 23, 27, and 27.  And the 37 year old one is by far the best guy we have.

9 minutes ago, Hunter2_1 said:

It's OK, we won't know what he is for another 3-5 years.

We already know what McVay is. He is a great coach but just like brilliant minds they can overthink things. Like I think Bradshaw once said, "keep it simple stupid". Sometimes McVay doesnt keep it simple when he should. Reid is a great coach as well but he has only made it to one Superbowl, constantly is famous for regular season success but postseason failure. He isnt overrated. He is also known for bad clock management. McVay is guilty of bad clock management and also Payton. At the end of the day and Ill keep saying this because I dont like to complicate things. If your team has a shot to win thats all I ask for. Cant win every game. Cant win the Superbowl every season. The Rams have won way more games than they have lost under McVay and most of the games they lost, they had a shot to win late in the 4th quarter but came up short. So far McVay has put the Rams in the postseason and in this season the Rams are 1.5 back of the wildcard with 7 games left to play. We have a great shot still if we win and I dont doubt that will wont win. So its not that complicated. As a fanbase the two things you shouldnt want to see and thats your team not be competitive in games/seasons and if they are competitive constantly fall short. Well guess what? So far the Rams with McVay the Rams have been competitive and won alot of those close games.

Edited by stl4life07