Week 2 GDT - Philadelphia Eagles @ Kansas City Chiefs - Sept. 17, 1:00 PM

Phire

His ability to extend the play and keep his eyes down the field is an added element to Wentz’s game this year. That quality hasn’t gone unnoticed by Reid.

“He’s a big strong kid. He moves around well. You have to stay disciplined in how you rush him,” Reid said during a press conference on Monday. “When you have an opportunity, you have to make sure you wrap up. He has great vision down the field so you have to maintain your coverage and stay on your guys forever. He’s a talented kid and looks like he has a bright future ahead.”

10 hours ago, ninjapirate said:

Darby wasn't all that good last year and didn't look great in the preseason for us. 

He played in two preseason games. He looked absolutely great in the 1st game. He struggled a bit in the second one but I think it was overplayed. From what I recall, he was targeted three times and gave up two catches, the deep one to Parker and about a 20 yarder to Landry on a post corner. He was in good position on the long pass to Parker but the ball was placed high and Darby couldn't get up high enough over Parker to get it. Not much he could do there. He also broke up a 3rd down pass intended for Ajayi, breaking on a dig. He got rave reviews in practice as well.

He definitely got beat on two occasions in the first quarter of the game Sunday, but I haven't seen anything suggesting that he can't be a low-end #1 for us. He gives us something that we desperately need at cornerback, with his elite speed and closing burst. That alone allows him to be left alone on an island more often and give us the opportunity to blitz. The two biggest effects of an injury to Darby are the aggressiveness of Schwartz with his blitz calls and the way we have to play our safeties. Without him, we don't have a guy with the speed to really keep up in man coverage down the field, which means we'll have to utilize safety help over the top at virtually all times.

I'm pretty worried about this game, this would be tough enough at home but having to play in Arrowhead? It's gonna take a hell of a performance. Ertz should feast again and be a top target if Berry's backup is going to play a similar role. Wentz will have to be one his A game since I don't see us getting the run game going against that front. On D, I'm not even that worried about Hunt, we can handle any run game. It's Alex Smith and Hill who have me sweating. Smith looked good as hell, and that best way to stop him is being very aggressive, but can we afford to do that when they have Hill and we have.... our CBs?

I feel like our standards are ridiculous for some players. Oh a corner got beat? Then he must not be that good. Uhh, you might as well write "getting beat" into a corner's job description. What corner doesn't get beat? The game is designed for them to get beat. It's why the defense doesn't know what play the offense is running. It's one thing to get beat over and over and over again like Jalen Mills last year. At some point you get beat frequently enough that you just become bad. We don't have enough sample size on Darby as an Eagle to say whether getting beat would be frequent enough to doubt his capabilities.

When Sidney Jones comes back, you know what'll happen? He'll get beat. I can't wait for our fans to say he can't play based on the first time he gets beat. It's so inevitable.

He did get beat on like a 50 yard bomb by a WR that has done absolutely nothing in the NFL thus far.  I'm not saying he sucks, I think he'll be a fine #2, but people acted like we got ourselves a #1 corner when we made the trade and if we're going to make excuses for his 2nd preseason game, then we also need to acknowledge the first game was against Anquan Boldin, who retired a week later. We'll definitely miss him though, because Mills is absolute trash and P-Rob is likely the same.

11 minutes ago, BLick12 said:

He did get beat on like a 50 yard bomb by a WR that has done absolutely nothing in the NFL thus far.  I'm not saying he sucks, I think he'll be a fine #2, but people acted like we got ourselves a #1 corner when we made the trade and if we're going to make excuses for his 2nd preseason game, then we also need to acknowledge the first game was against Anquan Boldin, who retired a week later. We'll definitely miss him though, because Mills is absolute trash and P-Rob is likely the same.

Im not sure what you mean by #1 corner, but I think people were excited that we didn't have to start Mills and Robinson moreso  than they  thought we were getting an all-pro CB.

21 minutes ago, Phire said:

Im not sure what you mean by #1 corner, but I think people were excited that we didn't have to start Mills and Robinson moreso  than they  thought we were getting an all-pro CB.

Sure, and rightfully so .But we also don't realistically know what exactly we're getting either.  

22 hours ago, BLick12 said:

I think it's unfair to really kick Darby for giving up the 50 yard pass. He was in great position on the play and was on Parker's hip the whole way but simply got outjumped for a deep pass by a guy who has 4-5 inches on him.

Archived