The Development of Sam Darnold

jetskid007

Lamar Jackson is having a great season, I'm not gonna take away from him. Will he do this for his career? Doubt it, his passing is like RG3. His running opens up his passes, if he can't run or they stop it, he struggles to throw. 

Josh Allen is on a loaded roster and is the weak point.  Hes played a weak schedule as well. Allen has everything going for him. Great OL, run game, great defense, asked not to do too much, weak schedule. I think he regresses next season.

I know we had a weak schedule too, but our team is terrible. We are among the worst in talent on a roster. Our OL is the worst in football. We have no edge rush or CBs. Limited at WR, and no run game. 

If the JEts fix that OL and add some talented WRs. I think Darnold is gonna have a QB rating in the 90s next season.  This is the worst team hes gonna play for. Massive injuries on a team that lacked talent already.

12 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

Agreed. But Lamar Jackson and Josh Allen say what’s up 😉 

I love watching them both, but I somewhat agree with @JetsFan15 as well... it's way too early to jump to conclusions on QBs, especially gimmicky ones, after one season of play. 

Both Lamar and Josh Allen are on very good teams and they are "it" right now, just like Baker was "it" last year, and the likes of Nick Foles, RGIII, Sam Bradford, Andy Dalton, Case Keenum, Cam Newton, and Colin Kaepernick before them. Hell, Josh Allen is not much different than Blake Bortles was in his second year (4428 yds, 35 TDs, 18 INTs with a 58.6 comp % with 310 yd rushing/2 ruTDs)... primary difference is wins. 

I'm not arguing that these guys won't be good, but we've become such a reactionary society that we allow present action to determine a conclusion far too quickly. Sure, Lamar and Josh have been doing wild things, but history shows their games are not sustainable. Let's see if they're doing the same things in 5 years when the rosters are turned over and they take a few big hits. On the flip side, lets see if Darnold's clime is steadily consistent... 

• Like 1

Darnold advanced stat updates: 

• QBR: 43.4 on the season (ranked 27th) 
  • PFF: 66.3 on the season (ranked 25th)  

Sam played a lot better than the stats indicate. Fumble was a tough one to swallow - just needed to hold the ball for a split second longer. INT was a bad mistake. Otherwise, he showed a lot of improvement against one of the league's hottest defense. He's a gunslinger. 

Also liked that we saw a pissed Darnold at the end of the game... everyone is making a bigger deal of this than they need to, but seeing that fire and his willingness to jaw at the coach shows his competitiveness... it's not like he stormed off, he calmed down and spoke to Gase for the next few minutes. 

I'm sensing some really complete performances out of him over the next 2 games. Darnold is a bit of a streaky player who takes a few games to get into a rhythm... he had a subpar performance against CIN, saw improvement against MIA but had his struggles, felt he had a better game overall against BAL, now he returns home against PIT coming off a mini-bye. If he can turn in a good one, it allows him to close out the season in a redemption game against the Bills. 

2 minutes ago, jetskid007 said:

Darnold advanced stat updates: 

• QBR: 43.4 on the season (ranked 27th) 
  • PFF: 66.3 on the season (ranked 25th)  

Sam played a lot better than the stats indicate. Fumble was a tough one to swallow - just needed to hold the ball for a split second longer. INT was a bad mistake. Otherwise, he showed a lot of improvement against one of the league's hottest defense. He's a gunslinger. 

Also liked that we saw a pissed Darnold at the end of the game... everyone is making a bigger deal of this than they need to, but seeing that fire and his willingness to jaw at the coach shows his competitiveness... it's not like he stormed off, he calmed down and spoke to Gase for the next few minutes. 

I'm sensing some really complete performances out of him over the next 2 games. Darnold is a bit of a streaky player who takes a few games to get into a rhythm... he had a subpar performance against CIN, saw improvement against MIA but had his struggles, felt he had a better game overall against BAL, now he returns home against PIT coming off a mini-bye. If he can turn in a good one, it allows him to close out the season in a redemption game against the Bills. 

It is very hard for Darnold. to have a rhythm now, ever week due to injuries he is playing with different receivers, and different O lineman. We had receivers playing last night I never hear of. Crowder & Anderson both had real good games.

This franchise I hope can get it right with Darnold. With Sanchez he didn't have the talent of Darnold but we gave him talent. A good OL, RBs and WRs. We then in turn got rid of all his talent and that (among other things) led to the fall of his career. With Geno he had less talent than Darnold and we never gave him talent either. And that's why he failed as well.

With Darnold we cant make this same mistake. He has franchise QB talent. Its on the franchise to get him an OL and weapons.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

This franchise I hope can get it right with Darnold. With Sanchez he didn't have the talent of Darnold but we gave him talent. A good OL, RBs and WRs. We then in turn got rid of all his talent and that (among other things) led to the fall of his career. With Geno he had less talent than Darnold and we never gave him talent either. And that's why he failed as well.

With Darnold we cant make this same mistake. He has franchise QB talent. Its on the franchise to get him an OL and weapons.

Let's just hoped our FO has learned: the best defense is a great offense. If you can score consistently and often, you can force opponents to make mistakes. Greg Williams' bend but don't break defense needs a great offense. It's built to waste time and put teams down early.

I don't think Lamar Jackson is that good. The DC will figure him out real fast. They will contain him and make him throw the ball more. He is just a flash in the pan type player. The DC are figuring out Mahomes too. The ones that are great are the ones that do it year after year like your Brees, Manning, Brady, and even Rivers (in his prime). 

I do expect the new GM to be very smart this off season. It will start with the trade of Bell to Tampa. I think Tampa gives the Jets a 4th round pick for him. I the see the Jets signing Trent Williams and A. Cooper. Then in the draft the Jets get Taylor from Wisconsin along with Whrif the tackle from Iowa in round 1. Your OL will look like this LT Williams, Lewis, Harrison, Winters, Whirf. Your starting RB will be Taylor and the 3 WR set will be Anderson, Cooper, Crowder. 

37 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

I finally read something smart by Manish. I hate Manish but he said this yesterday and there’s no truer words....

Sam Darnold isn’t the problem... in fact he’s the key piece to the solution. 

Agreed. This Ravens game proved it to me. We scored more points than any of the Ravens' last 9 opponents. We're talking about more than teams like the 49ers, pats, Rams, Texans, and Seahawks. It came from him being able to do things like rollout and finding the open WRs when the pocket busted and his ridiculous throw to Crowder for the first TD. These aren't perfectly drawn screen passes or something like that, he has the skills to make the play when defenses are well prepared. Revamping the oline and adding another WR is all he needs in terms of talent around him.  

51 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

I finally read something smart by Manish. I hate Manish but he said this yesterday and there’s no truer words....

Sam Darnold isn’t the problem... in fact he’s the key piece to the solution. 

That throw he made to Crowder for the TD after Crowder dropped a easy one, was a elite type throw. 

36 minutes ago, NYJets4716 said:

Ronnie Stanley is having the best pass blocking season at lt since joe Thomas. 

We need a dominant LT, I doubt 5-11 puts us in the running for andrew Thomas . 

Fa I expect a couple ol signingz

I’d be perfectly happy with Wirfs if Thomas was gone

On 12/14/2019 at 10:01 AM, Dr.O said:

Lamar’s been the best as of now, makes big boy throws and makes the plays when you need them.

and his team and coaching staff very clearly loves him and feels galvanized by him. The idea that this is entirely smoke and mirrors because he's using his once in a generation athleticism to his benefit is laughable. 

• Like 1