The Development of Sam Darnold

jetskid007

1 hour ago, xrade said:

Does anyone else see the second coming of Favre in Darnold?  I think Sam may be a bit more accurate on the short to intermediate routes but Brett had a stronger arm. 

I see more the Romo comparison with him than Favre. If he really pans out he could have a Rodgers type career.

5 hours ago, xrade said:

Does anyone else see the second coming of Favre in Darnold?  I think Sam may be a bit more accurate on the short to intermediate routes but Brett had a stronger arm. 

Stats wise, I think he's going to be like Phillip Rivers as far as TD/INT ratio. 

On 12/15/2019 at 11:26 AM, xrade said:

I don't see Darnold at all like Favre, If you want to compare him to any body its Eli Manning, except Darnold throws better on the run.  If Darnold ends up being as good as Eli, he will be a major success. 

43 minutes ago, doumeyer said:

I don't see Darnold at all like Favre, If you want to compare him to any body its Eli Manning, except Darnold throws better on the run.  If Darnold ends up being as good as Eli, he will be a major success. 

I don't get the Eli comparison at all. Eli has always been one the most immobile QB's in the league and mobility is one Darnolds greatest strengths. I've always thought Sam's game was so similar to Romo

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Malik said:

If he pans out he could be one of the most talented QBs of all time? 

If we get the right coach and players around him? Maybe. I think he has the talent to do it. But situation is WAY more important than talent at this level. But Lamar Jackson on our team and he’s not going to be close to what he is. Brady doesn’t have BB is he that good? Brees have Payton, etc. add the players along side them... and they have the tools to be great. It’s odor our GM to do this. Personally I don’t think Gase is the answer. But JD can still build this OL and get a couple weapons this offseason to put Darnold in position to succeed.

14 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

If we get the right coach and players around him? Maybe. I think he has the talent to do it. But situation is WAY more important than talent at this level. But Lamar Jackson on our team and he’s not going to be close to what he is. Brady doesn’t have BB is he that good? Brees have Payton, etc. add the players along side them... and they have the tools to be great. It’s odor our GM to do this. Personally I don’t think Gase is the answer. But JD can still build this OL and get a couple weapons this offseason to put Darnold in position to succeed.

I look at things this way: whether results are there or not, Gase does teach QBs fundamentals. He puts a lot on them and gives them a lot of responsibility. There's a lot of value in that. I like the idea of him spending these two years with Sam, and if they can't get it right by the end of next year move on and bring in a new coach that will help put the team over the top. 

That said, I've tried not to lose sight of the fact that Gase for his own right is only 41 years old. He's 28-34 (.452) with one playoff appearance so far in his first 4 seasons as a HC. Belichick was 36-44 (.450) with one playoff appearance in his first 5 seasons. In his first year as head coach for the Patriots he was 5-11, and the following year they won 11 games and the SB.

I'm in no way shape or form saying Gase will be the next Belichick, but the hardass mentality, detail orientation, emphasis on process > results, and the desire to build a program/culture is very similar. Player's weren't all about Bill's way for a long time, but once they started seeing results, that's when Bill's reputation blossomed and his power grew. In a weird way I do think that's possible for Gase, because he has the QB and has the right GM. I do think this team will be good next year - mainly because the Pats are declining and I wholeheartedly believe Sam is going to explode, which could be what we need to get into the playoffs. If that were to happen there's no way you're not bringing Gase back, and then we can see what happens from there. Every Jets fan should be hoping that Gase can prove us all wrong, but if he doesn't, find solace that he's challenging Sam to be a true pro-style QB - read defenses, call protections, go through progressions, etc. - and that is extremely valuable. I know it's a cliche, but Peyton Manning is one of the smartest QBs to ever play the game (if not the smartest), and he's a strong proponent of Gase. There's a reason for it. 

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

By my count, Darnold finished 2019 (13 games):

273/441 (61.9%) for 3,024 yards (6.9 Y/A). 21 total TD (19 pass, 2 rush) and 16 total turnovers (13 INT, 3 FL). Passer rating: 84.3.

Record: 7-6.

Last year (also 13 games):

239/414 (57.7%) for 2,865 yards (6.9 Y/A). 18 total TD (17 pass, 1 rush) and 17 total turnover (15 INT, 2 FL). Passer rating: 77.6.

So... improvement. That Y/A needs to be better though in the modern game. And the Pats game alone tanked a lot of stats this year. Obviously this isn't how things work, but out of interest I ran the numbers without that game:

262/409 (64.1%) for 2,938 yards (7.2 Y/A). 21 total TD (19 pass, 2 rush) and 11 total turnovers (9 INT, 2 FL). Passer rating: 91.7

That game was brutal.

16 minutes ago, TheChad said:

By my count, Darnold finished 2019 (13 games):

273/441 (61.9%) for 3,024 yards (6.9 Y/A). 21 total TD (19 pass, 2 rush) and 16 total turnovers (13 INT, 3 FL). Passer rating: 84.3.

Record: 7-6.

Last year (also 13 games):

239/414 (57.7%) for 2,865 yards (6.9 Y/A). 18 total TD (17 pass, 1 rush) and 17 total turnover (15 INT, 2 FL). Passer rating: 77.6.

So... improvement. That Y/A needs to be better though in the modern game. And the Pats game alone tanked a lot of stats this year. Obviously this isn't how things work, but out of interest I ran the numbers without that game:

262/409 (64.1%) for 2,938 yards (7.2 Y/A). 21 total TD (19 pass, 2 rush) and 11 total turnovers (9 INT, 2 FL). Passer rating: 91.7

That game was brutal.

He showed enough to believe hes our guy. Next step is to build a team around him. 

Fact is Darnold had a terrible supporting cast and awful coaches. Without Darnold the offense was historically bad. 

Darnold has to.improve on his footwork more and continue to improve on not always forcing passes in, though part of his game is taking risks.

But if he gets a ol, run game, and some healthy and better wrs I think we see a jump from him.  He has shown glimpses of elite accuracy and ball placement,  but man have I not seen a qb constantly under pressure and thrown into bad situations as he was. He handled it pretty well for a 22 yr old.  This is no mark Sanchez who was handed a sb contending team and struggled. 

Look at the ravens, their run game still tore it up without lamar Jackson. Sometimes scheme and supporting talent matters,  ol is the biggest thing you can do to help a QB. 

Edited by NYJets4716
  • Like 1

54 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

Per Cimini

Sam Darnold’s final numbers, compared to last year:

⬆️

61.9 completion pct (from 57.7).

⬆️

19-13 TD-INT ratio (from 17-15).

⬆️

84.3 passer rating (from 77.6)

↔️

6.9 yards per attempt (6.9).

⬇️

41.5 QBR (down from 45.5).

IMO this is just natural progression of being in the league another year.

Yeah he improved, but that’s not the jump any of us wanted to see under an “offensive guru”

it sucks we have to waste next year with Adam Gase at the helm 

11 minutes ago, GangGreen420 said:

Yeah he improved, but that’s not the jump any of us wanted to see under an “offensive guru”

I don’t think Darnold had a bad year. That being said I don’t think he had a good one either. But he was pissing into the wind with the OLine we had. Very few QBs ever could succeed with a line like that. 

7 minutes ago, GangGreen420 said:

A lot of Darnold, completion are short passes, he has not been good on long throws or mid range passes. But I am SURE that will improve with more offensive help. His passes when he is on the run are very good. I still believe he will be a better than average NFL QB.