The Development of Sam Darnold

jetskid007

At the beginning of the year, I try and predict what each offensive starter will do statwise. Nothing fancy, just traditional stats.

I took a look this morning and was somewhat surprised.

Darnold’s Yards/Game and Completion percentage was slightly lower (nothing significant). His TD/Game were pretty much spot on. His INT/Game were higher though. I expected a 2:1 ratio. All in, some good progress.

What surprised me was how much our starting skill players underperformed. Only Crowder exceeded my expectations. 

Also surprising, how did Darnold’s completion percentage increase despite what appeared to be a decline in accuracy? I’m going to give Gase some credit here. If you look back at the 2018 season, Darnold was accurate but his receivers did not get any separation. This year, it looked like (despite having receivers hurt) he was throwing to open players. 

Our running game was our biggest issue this year. Not having a reliable running game held this team back. That’s partly due to the OL but it was also Bell. Powell had some success running. Bell waiting for the perfect whole was an issue. 

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, SDotNova said:

At the beginning of the year, I try and predict what each offensive starter will do statwise. Nothing fancy, just traditional stats.

I took a look this morning and was somewhat surprised.

Darnold’s Yards/Game and Completion percentage was slightly lower (nothing significant). His TD/Game were pretty much spot on. His INT/Game were higher though. I expected a 2:1 ratio. All in, some good progress.

What surprised me was how much our starting skill players underperformed. Only Crowder exceeded my expectations. 

Also surprising, how did Darnold’s completion percentage increase despite what appeared to be a decline in accuracy? I’m going to give Gase some credit here. If you look back at the 2018 season, Darnold was accurate but his receivers did not get any separation. This year, it looked like (despite having receivers hurt) he was throwing to open players. 

Our running game was our biggest issue this year. Not having a reliable running game held this team back. That’s partly due to the OL but it was also Bell. Powell had some success running. Bell waiting for the perfect whole was an issue. 

Our OL is awful so it was a lot of short passes that increased his completion numbers. His down field passing still wasn’t good but that’s bc he had no time

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

Our OL is awful so it was a lot of short passes that increased his completion numbers. His down field passing still wasn’t good but that’s bc he had no time

All these stats about Darnold doesn't mean anything, the only thing that counts is points he puts up on the board, and he sure has not done that. If we can get him offensive help that will change for sure. I don't blame him at all, the guy I blame is our X GM Macc. In his five years as GM he did nothing to get us Offensive help. We can talk all day long, five years of bad drafting has set the Jets back five years. And now we are in a rebuilding mode again.

16 minutes ago, NYJets4716 said:

Jets ol 3rd in nfl history to allow 50+ sacks and average 3.3 ypc. Historically bad unit.

Likewise, we're going to see a historic investment into this unit this offseason. I'm projecting over 16 years, $150,000,000 in total contract value via FA and the draft. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Bianconero said:

I'm assuming we all want to target Conklin @ RT and Brandon Scherff (is he even good?) Then we draft our LT and C high

My Titans fan friend thinks Conklin returns so we'd have to throw big $ at him.

LT: Rookie

LG: Winters

C: Rookie

RG: Scherff

RT: Conklin

LT: Wills

LG Joe Thuney

C: Graham Glasgow

RG: Alex Lewis

RT: Hal Vaitai

1 hour ago, GangGreen420 said:

I still can’t believe we had the worst offense in the NFL. And look at some of the QBs other teams had to start this season. Next year we will rank in the low-mid 20s but progress, right? Sad 

Most of the top offenses in football have one thing in common. A strong OL. 

Our teams best years were when they invested into the OL and we had a top unit. Its hard to be a bad team when you have a strong unit. Of the 3 teams in NFL history with as bad of a OL as we had. We actually had the best record, those teams were like 4-12. And that is because of the fact that we have Darnold who often performed miracles with the lack of talent we have.

People bash on Gase for not using Bell, but it was pretty impossible to call run plays knowing we rarely got any yards running with how bad the OL is. Mainly Manish who continues to bash Gase on those fronts. 

I think there is a good chance Bell returns for the simple fact, who is taking on that contract after a career low? But I think Bell would be better next season with a improved OL. 

But really what weapons did we have at the end of the season? Anderson is a career 700+ yard a year WR, Crowder is a solid slot guy, then no one else. We had our 2 top TEs out, Darnold loved throwing to Griffin and then he went out injured.

It sucks that they paid Enunwa money, I hope he just retires for his and the teams sake. 

Darnold had very little to work with, he was on a bad roster. And Gase is not very likable and annoying, but he had his excuses with the injuries and the state of the OL being as bad as they were. 

On 12/31/2019 at 10:32 AM, GangGreen420 said:

I still can’t believe we had the worst offense in the NFL. And look at some of the QBs other teams had to start this season. Next year we will rank in the low-mid 20s but progress, right? Sad 

lol can't be shocked. His offense didn't outscore Bowles his final 3 seasons when he had to use Bryce Petty, Hackenberg, Fitz, and McCown. I'm not going to vent about Gase anymore. I'm just hoping JD can load up the offense as much as possible to kill the excuses.