Jump to content
jetskid007

The Development of Sam Darnold

Recommended Posts

Hopefully him having to fight for his life with no OL will make him better, not rattle him. We are pretty much all in on him, so we need to do whatever it takes to make him work. I think he’s still a hard guy to judge with no OL. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Vyncint Smith isn’t “better” than Robby but I’ve seen more versatility in his game than Robby has ever shown. 

End arounds, screens, hitches, deep shots and he returns kicks. 

Edited by KingOfTheDot

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm very luke warm on Darnold right now. He's shown he can ball, but he seems to lack that confidence and on field "charisma" that many top franchise QBs have. I don't see a killer instinct either. It doesn't help that Robby is only good at running straight down the field and that the OL can't even hold 4 back from reaching Sam, but I'd like to see Sam come out with fire towards the end of the game and drive a few nails into the coffin.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, KingOfTheDot said:

Vyncint Smith isn’t “better” than Robby but I’ve seen more versatility in his game than Robby has ever shown. 

End arounds, screens, hitches, deep shots and he returns kicks. 

I agree I like what I have seen from smith. Sam just missed him on that flea flicker type play, honestly he should have hit that but Smith has the ability to be more versatile because unlike Robby he’s not built like a pipe cleaner. I hope we continue to develop Smith. Could be worth it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, ekill08x said:

I agree I like what I have seen from smith. Sam just missed him on that flea flicker type play, honestly he should have hit that but Smith has the ability to be more versatile because unlike Robby he’s not built like a pipe cleaner. I hope we continue to develop Smith. Could be worth it. 

Smith missed it cause he can't track like Robby. Robby isn't a good all around, but he's really good at that one thing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The hope is that he comes out better after this adversity. He played solid yesterday. He threw the ball away when he needed to and made plays when he needed to.

I personally don’t think investing big dollars or spending high draft picks on WRs is needed with Sam. When giving time, he’s had success with average guys.  In terms of allocating resources, I think it’s best to truly focus on the OL (top priority) and defense (distant second). Sam’s struggles this year have come when playing from behind (a good D would help in this area) and when not giving time to throw (obviously an OL would help here). 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, NJerseypaint said:

Smith missed it cause he can't track like Robby. Robby isn't a good all around, but he's really good at that one thing.

It looked like it was overthrow not really a tracking issue. Smith caught some deep balls in Houston. But Robby does track those off target ones better.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, NJerseypaint said:

Smith missed it cause he can't track like Robby. Robby isn't a good all around, but he's really good at that one thing.

Robby catches that ball for sure. Smith slowed down when he looked back for the ball. Robby seemlessly tracks the ball in the air. Sam’s deep ball is not great though. So, I’m up in the air about resigning Robby. Smith can stretch the field even though he’s not on Robby’s level. And Smith brings other traits to the table.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Darnold played really well under faces of defense yesterday.   Stupid Mono.  He would handle Patriots' defense better had he not received mono (Inactivity period).

 

I watched Panthers vs Packers game.  Kyle Allen made several crazy throws but he was lucky that his WRs came back for underthrown balls.  Jets didn't have those kind of luxury so Darnold isn't going to be fading out like Mark Sanchez.  Still, give him some protection for further better than he is now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, ekill08x said:

I was honestly really pleased to see the tempo early in the game but for whatever reason we don’t like to stick to the recipe that’s working. 
 

Interesting thought, anyone think maybe Bilals style of running is more suited for this line situation. Bell likes to hesitate and then find the hole whereas even though Bilal won’t run you over he burst straight forward through whatever is there. Bell has been extremely ineffective and 90% of that is the line.

Completely agree I noticed this yesterday. I'd like to see Bilal gets more touches

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

48 minutes ago, NJerseypaint said:

I'm very luke warm on Darnold right now. He's shown he can ball, but he seems to lack that confidence and on field "charisma" that many top franchise QBs have. I don't see a killer instinct either. It doesn't help that Robby is only good at running straight down the field and that the OL can't even hold 4 back from reaching Sam, but I'd like to see Sam come out with fire towards the end of the game and drive a few nails into the coffin.

While I agree that the "killer instinct" is a real thing, I haven't seen a player that is 22 that already has it in the NFL... it usually takes years before that becomes a thing for a QB consistently. Sam shows confidence in his arm almost to a fault, but his biggest issue at this point seems to be that he lets poor play get to him. In NE, he had a bad start and you could clearly see it rattled him in that game and it carried over to Jacksonville. Some of Jacksonville carried over to Miami, and he finally broke out of it yesterday. He was confident, he was accurate, he made plays under duress, and he kept his eyes down field. The stats don't pop out, but when you consider the 4 drops and the 3 throw aways, his on-target percentage was 85%, with none of the incomplete passes being turnover-worthy. That's a pretty great number. 

55 minutes ago, JetsandI said:

Darnold played really well under faces of defense yesterday.   Stupid Mono.  He would handle Patriots' defense better had he not received mono (Inactivity period).

 

I watched Panthers vs Packers game.  Kyle Allen made several crazy throws but he was lucky that his WRs came back for underthrown balls.  Jets didn't have those kind of luxury so Darnold isn't going to be fading out like Mark Sanchez.  Still, give him some protection for further better than he is now.

I'm sure the mono didn't help, but I wouldn't go that far. The Patriots did what they do best: they studied Darnold's Dallas tape and saw a player who was willing to make throws off his back foot because he good. Their response to that: blitz. He's not developed enough how to respond to it and they were alert for his "YOLO" ball, so the Pats saw an opportunity to use one of his strengths against him. He'll learn from it (we're seeing it now; while Sam has been throwing off balance, the number of throws off his back foot have reduced tremendously). 

I don't care what the stats say, Sam is the furthest thing from Sanchez. Sanchez was a player who had the athletic ability, but didn't have the instincts or the rare arm talent; he and Mitch Trubisky are literally the same (albeit Trubisky has better coaching). Sam has the athletic ability, but also has rare arm talent and rare instincts. You can see that on the field. He needs to cut down his turnovers/bad decisions and become more consistent, but I think he'll end this year on a similar note like he did last year. Slowly his stats will improve and will look more acceptable by year's end, but I truly can care less about them: more important is what do our eyes tell us. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sucks that he probably won’t have Herndon at all this year. Was really looking forward to seeing them both grow together 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, KingOfTheDot said:

It looked like it was overthrow not really a tracking issue. Smith caught some deep balls in Houston. But Robby does track those off target ones better.

This was an overthrow, simple as that. The positive take: he threw it in a spot that couldn't result in a turnover, just a few inches too far

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, jetskid007 said:

 

While I agree that the "killer instinct" is a real thing, I haven't seen a player that is 22 that already has it in the NFL... it usually takes years before that becomes a thing for a QB consistently. Sam shows confidence in his arm almost to a fault, but his biggest issue at this point seems to be that he lets poor play get to him. In NE, he had a bad start and you could clearly see it rattled him in that game and it carried over to Jacksonville. Some of Jacksonville carried over to Miami, and he finally broke out of it yesterday. He was confident, he was accurate, he made plays under duress, and he kept his eyes down field. The stats don't pop out, but when you consider the 4 drops and the 3 throw aways, his on-target percentage was 85%, with none of the incomplete passes being turnover-worthy. That's a pretty great number. 

I'm sure the mono didn't help, but I wouldn't go that far. The Patriots did what they do best: they studied Darnold's Dallas tape and saw a player who was willing to make throws off his back foot because he good. Their response to that: blitz. He's not developed enough how to respond to it and they were alert for his "YOLO" ball, so the Pats saw an opportunity to use one of his strengths against him. He'll learn from it (we're seeing it now; while Sam has been throwing off balance, the number of throws off his back foot have reduced tremendously). 

I don't care what the stats say, Sam is the furthest thing from Sanchez. Sanchez was a player who had the athletic ability, but didn't have the instincts or the rare arm talent; he and Mitch Trubisky are literally the same (albeit Trubisky has better coaching). Sam has the athletic ability, but also has rare arm talent and rare instincts. You can see that on the field. He needs to cut down his turnovers/bad decisions and become more consistent, but I think he'll end this year on a similar note like he did last year. Slowly his stats will improve and will look more acceptable by year's end, but I truly can care less about them: more important is what do our eyes tell us. 

 

I agree with you on Darnold's  mono,  takes a lot out of anybody who had it. It is not like getting the 24 hour flu. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

But now once again Darnold loses one of the few good players he has. Herndon out for season.

Our OL lost another starter for the season with Winters, hopefully Winters is released for a 7.5 mil savings and use the money to go after Brandon Shreff. 

Darnold is deadly accurate, the man completes 70% of his passes like every game. THat is under duress nearly every drop back.

Darnold is the LEAST of our worries, we need a supporting cast not a new QB. This is the first time in a while I can COMFORTABLY say that.  Spend the money on that OL and you will see a franchise QB. 

Most of Darnold's INTs are because hes trying to get the team back into games or trying to make something out of nothing, unfortunately Darnold is a playmaking QB, he will drive you crazy at times but he will also make those special plays. Just give the man a real team to work with and watch him work a defense. 

Many around the league keep saying that Joe Douglas is going to fix the JEts, first time in a long time we had a GM that people around the league respect and are high on. He has that 6 year monster contract, let him earn that money and build a team for Darnold. 

1st round needs to be on the OL. I want another Brick, someone to lock down LT for the next decade. Would love if we could get our Brick and Mangold in this draft to build the OL up. 

Edited by NYJets4716

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×