Jump to content
jetskid007

The Development of Sam Darnold

Recommended Posts

19 minutes ago, jetskid007 said:

I've seen enough to know what he'll be in the NFL: Tony Romo-plus

The primary differences between him and Romo are that Sam was on the map (went to a PAC-12 school), he's bigger/stronger/quicker, and is younger than Romo was when he entered the NFL. Playing styles are extremely similar, but Sam is simply more gifted which is why I think he will be a "juiced up" version of Romo.

The primary questions we need to be asking ourselves are whether that talent gap gap will result in more wins than Romo had, if Sam can perform in clutch moments, and whether he can stay healthy. Otherwise, I think we should expect that Sam will be something around a 65% passer who will always throw around 10-15 INTs a year but will make up for those turnovers with a lot of yards, a lot of TDs, and some games where he simply puts the team on his back to generate wins. 

If there is question  (does he have the demeanor to put  the team on his back) so far he hasn't show it. That was his big problem at SO Cal. If Douglas get the Offensive pieces he needs he won't have to put the team on his back. His release could be faster, but that should come with time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, doumeyer said:

If there is question  (does he have the demeanor to put  the team on his back) so far he hasn't show it. That was his big problem at SO Cal. If Douglas get the Offensive pieces he needs he won't have to put the team on his back. His release could be faster, but that should come with time.

I completely disagree with this. Sam is 22 years old and when you factor in injury/mono has barely played a full season in the nfl. He's already shown the ability to put the team on his back and win games when the O line has played slightly better. No QB in the league could succeed with the offensive line we have. 

Edited by mattmanz91

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, NJerseypaint said:

Kinda crazy how looking at Darnold's stats compared to everyone else (https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/qb/2019), he's been absolute trash. But watching him, he's been doing great. That Pats game is either totally trashing his overall, or he's just a good QB that puts up ugly numbers (ala Eli).

Garbage rating system that had our defense top 10. Idk why people on football future are so glued to it

Prescott is not the best qb, he struggles when things arent perfect

Edited by NYJets4716

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/6/2019 at 2:48 PM, doumeyer said:

If there is question  (does he have the demeanor to put  the team on his back) so far he hasn't show it. That was his big problem at SO Cal. If Douglas get the Offensive pieces he needs he won't have to put the team on his back. His release could be faster, but that should come with time.

He's 22 years old and has played one full season as a HS starting QB, 2 seasons as a collegian starting QB (which he went 21-6... what have they done since under the same leadership?), and is now in his second year in the NFL. Be patient. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

By my count, Darnold has:

15 passing TDs

11 INTs

2 rushing TDs

1 fumble lost

 

So, 17 TDs to 12 TOs. If he can hold or even improve on that ratio by season's end, I'll be pretty happy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Throwing a ton off the back of his feet. Most of the time bc he has to bc of how bad the OL is. But I have noticed he does it quite a bit when he doesn't have to. A quality that's going to need to be fixed once we upgrade the OL. That's the bad part about not surrounding him with talent is developing some bad habits and this throwing off the back of his feet is the main one that needs to be fixed in the offseason.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

Throwing a ton off the back of his feet. Most of the time bc he has to bc of how bad the OL is. But I have noticed he does it quite a bit when he doesn't have to. A quality that's going to need to be fixed once we upgrade the OL. That's the bad part about not surrounding him with talent is developing some bad habits and this throwing off the back of his feet is the main one that needs to be fixed in the offseason.

Yeah he had a clean pocket yesterday for most of the game and simply just missed reads and throws. Not a good game for him and he got bailed out on that last drive twice. It’s going to be a really rough final three weeks for him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Also, for what it's worth, we're terrible, but we're 5-5 in games that Sam started this season. Considering the (lack of) talent on this team, that's not so bad.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, TheChad said:

Also, for what it's worth, we're terrible, but we're 5-5 in games that Sam started this season. Considering the (lack of) talent on this team, that's not so bad.

Not bad, not great, but I can't overstate it enough... he is 22 years old. It's going to take him time and he's not going to be a star overnight. Need to build up the OL, continue building the defense, and maintain a balanced offensive attack. 

My eyes told me that yesterday was one of his poorer games of the season, but he still managed to get the W, generate a come-from-behind victory, and have a plus TD-to-turnover differential. That's a good sign. I know Baltimore is a very good team and the odds-makers have us getting blown out, but hoping Darnold can show up and put up on national television considering how poorly the past two games have gone for him (Mono vs. CLE, Ghosts vs. NE).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

Throwing a ton off the back of his feet. Most of the time bc he has to bc of how bad the OL is. But I have noticed he does it quite a bit when he doesn't have to. A quality that's going to need to be fixed once we upgrade the OL. That's the bad part about not surrounding him with talent is developing some bad habits and this throwing off the back of his feet is the main one that needs to be fixed in the offseason.

Noticed that too.  The OL must be addressed this offseason and I am confident we will see a much improved Darnold.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, TheChad said:

By my count, Darnold has:

15 passing TDs

11 INTs

2 rushing TDs

1 fumble lost

 

So, 17 TDs to 12 TOs. If he can hold or even improve on that ratio by season's end, I'll be pretty happy.

How about Mayfields stats

15 Passing TDs, 16 INTs, 5 Fumbles and 2 lost and 3 rushing TDs.  

Points to how it takes some time to progress....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, JetsFan15 said:

How about Mayfields stats

15 Passing TDs, 16 INTs, 5 Fumbles and 2 lost and 3 rushing TDs.  

Points to how it takes some time to progress....

Agreed. But Lamar Jackson and Josh Allen say what’s up 😉 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

Agreed. But Lamar Jackson and Josh Allen say what’s up 😉 

I am  not long term believer in either.  Jackson's style makes me nervous for him staying healthy and productive.  The list is long for "running" QBs who have a great couple of year run then flame out.  Allen reminds me of how Sanchez had success with us.  Great defense helping him manage game.  Solid running game with two good RBs.  I have more confidence in him to improve though.  I'd still rather have Sam long term over the other three.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×