The Development of Sam Darnold

jetskid007

3 hours ago, SDotNova said:

Robby catches that ball for sure. Smith slowed down when he looked back for the ball. Robby seemlessly tracks the ball in the air. Sam’s deep ball is not great though. So, I’m up in the air about resigning Robby. Smith can stretch the field even though he’s not on Robby’s level. And Smith brings other traits to the table.

If Anderson returned, it has to be for a team friendly contract. He simply isn't a #1 WR.  Hes more of a #3 WR, maybe decent #2. Crowder is the best all around WR on the roster, hes the one running crisp routes and clearly Darnold has a comfort level with him. Thomas is still solid as well, I trust him fighting for the ball more than Anderson who is weak. 

Anderson is a streaky WR, if he doesn't break that 50+ yard TD, he will go for 3 catches 24 yards type games.  WE need a more complete WR that can run different routes on the outside. 

What hurts Anderson this year is that our OL is so bad that Darnold never has time to hit up a 50 yard pass.  We can't establish any kind of run game either. 

I think Sam will be fine in the long run.  JD WILL address the OL.  I believe this is the biggest factor holding Sam back.  I think mono affected as well - I had it at his age and I can tell you that I was not really right for about 2 months and I was not an NFL player ..lol.

I thought he played really well yesterday.  I was most impress with him throwing the ball away and not pressing to make something happen.  I was glad to see some roll outs.  He flat missed the flea flicker (had a nice side view from my seats of that) - needs to make that throw but I am not sure how much work he has done with Smith so far. 

I am anxious to see if he can build the next four weeks before the challenge of playing the Ravens, Steelers and Bills D to close the season.  Those last three games are going to be very interesting to me to see how he is coming along.

Where do we go first with protecting him? Interior OL or two Tackles to you contain those EDGE rushers?

Im comfortable with Lewis at LG and a veteran RG. Edoga will compete against RT IMO and I think Beachum returns. 

Center seems to be the clear first upgrade available with Tackle being next but i don’t think they wanna put a rookie at LT next year. 

4 hours ago, KingOfTheDot said:

Where do we go first with protecting him? Interior OL or two Tackles to you contain those EDGE rushers?

Im comfortable with Lewis at LG and a veteran RG. Edoga will compete against RT IMO and I think Beachum returns. 

Center seems to be the clear first upgrade available with Tackle being next but i don’t think they wanna put a rookie at LT next year. 

LT is clear and obvious with Beachum a free agent, but interior pressure has been what effects him the most. I think Edoga will have a role- he has the skill set his biggest jump will come in years 2/3. 

In an ideal world you add Scherff in FA, but I expect him to be tagged. This is why I think the Jets will pivot to Glasgow- he’s a FA and considering the amount of OL Detroit will have to pay in the coming years, he’ll walk. As it is they rotate their lineman. He has played well at LG, C, and RG. He’s the type of player you can sign and figure it out later. 

5 hours ago, KingOfTheDot said:

Get players where you can to be honest. The only guy currently on the team I don’t mind starting is Lewis. Edoga, Harrison and Compton could form a strong depth. 

FA may have a few good iOL available. We’ll have to see. But I’m hoping we snap one or two and then snag a couple of tackles in the draft.

I think the one thing people miss on Sam is his health. He has failed to play all 16 games in a season. That is a bad sign for a young QB. I hope is not the QB that plays 10-12 games and we need to spend money on a good backup QB who can cover those 4-6 games he misses. I think the combination of an extreme hard schedule and Sam getting mono killed the first half of the season. I just want to see Sam have 1 or zero turnovers in the next 6 games with easy teams lined up. I want wins not draft positions. We need to look alive to attract the OL who are FA this year. 

1 minute ago, jetfuel34 said:

I think the one thing people miss on Sam is his health. He has failed to play all 16 games in a season. That is a bad sign for a young QB. I hope is not the QB that plays 10-12 games and we need to spend money on a good backup QB who can cover those 4-6 games he misses. I think the combination of an extreme hard schedule and Sam getting mono killed the first half of the season. I just want to see Sam have 1 or zero turnovers in the next 6 games with easy teams lined up. I want wins not draft positions. We need to look alive to attract the OL who are FA this year. 

Him getting Mono has zero to do with how bad this OL is and how bad the pass rush and CB play has been.

These next 6 games should not just be for attracting free agents, it should be for an honest and unbiased assessment of how good Sam Darnold is and can be.

There are going to be a LOT of good QBs available in free agency, and potentially some great ones as well. There is also a new crop of young QBs coming in via the draft.

No matter how well Darnold plays the rest of the way, we need to have a better QB situation overall. We cannot start games with the likes of Luke Falk and Trevor Siemien anymore. 

• Like 1

Sam knows how important sticking with a system will be for him. Next year we might see that leap we all want from him. The confidence he’ll have in his reads and knowing what looks defensively he’s already seen will be a huge benefit. Fixing the Line will help tremendously as well. I think next years offense will break some Jets records if everything comes together. 

Oh God another year with Gase. SMH. I know he will be here for this year and next but man he is not a HC. I think his job is be out of the league. He has proven nothing in the NFL. He has Tannehill and now that Ryan left he looks pretty good for the Titans. Gase is part and most of the problem. I'm tired of the "Oh we don't have this or that." Good coaches make the adjustments and put their players in good positions to make plays. We will be no more than 5-11 next year and be in the same spot again. 

9 hours ago, KingOfTheDot said:

Sam knows how important sticking with a system will be for him. Next year we might see that leap we all want from him. The confidence he’ll have in his reads and knowing what looks defensively he’s already seen will be a huge benefit. Fixing the Line will help tremendously as well. I think next years offense will break some Jets records if everything comes together. 

“I knew that Christopher was that confident in coach Gase, so it didn’t come as a surprise to me,” Darnold said. “Just for him to do that publicly, that’s awesome that he did it.”

Should we begin to badger Darnold?

Edited by JetsandI

Not expecting Sam to throw 4 TDs every week, but stats aside yesterday was more in line of what I’m expecting for the rest of the season. +2 TDs per game, +62% comp, Y/A over 7, with the expectation that there will be 1-2 turnover-worthy plays per game (hopefully none). Ending the season on a good note will go a long way for him next year.