The Development of Sam Darnold

jetskid007

On 11/18/2019 at 11:42 AM, jetskid007 said:

Absolutely LOVE reading these reports how Darnold sat with approached Gase about tinkering the offense. Well done.

Apparently Gase’s response to Sam’s suggestions was “about time” 

In one of Gase’s many press conferences he referenced that this would eventually come and when it did the offense would find the consistency it needs. He always wanted Sam to own the offense but Sam was smart enough to be patient until he had it all figured out.

Edited by KingOfTheDot
  • Like 1

Watching Josh Allen on the Bills is exactly why we need a OL. That OL gives him ALL DAY to throw, he sits back there without any pressure for a good 5-7 seconds to scan a field. Something I never see Darnold get. 

Darnold is clearly a better QB than Allen watching the 2, Allen is just on a better team and is asked to do a lot less. Darnold is asked to carry a football team, Allen is asked to not lose games. 

I see the talent of a top tier QB in Darnold, he just needs a OL and some WRs. Anderson is a good deep threat, but with our pathetic OL he never has time to run deep so hes been mute. 

Week in and week out, we are basically asking Darnold to win the game or we will lose because this team sucks. That is a lot to ask from a 22 yr old. 

54 minutes ago, NYJets4716 said:

Watching Josh Allen on the Bills is exactly why we need a OL. That OL gives him ALL DAY to throw, he sits back there without any pressure for a good 5-7 seconds to scan a field. Something I never see Darnold get. 

Darnold is clearly a better QB than Allen watching the 2, Allen is just on a better team and is asked to do a lot less. Darnold is asked to carry a football team, Allen is asked to not lose games. 

I see the talent of a top tier QB in Darnold, he just needs a OL and some WRs. Anderson is a good deep threat, but with our pathetic OL he never has time to run deep so hes been mute. 

Week in and week out, we are basically asking Darnold to win the game or we will lose because this team sucks. That is a lot to ask from a 22 yr old. 

Best part is Darnold is a year younger and with a line that can at least be functional and actually offer some run blocking (something we haven’t had in 3 years) to open up the pass even more, Darnold should take a huge step. I still would like him to play cleaner football. Don’t turn the ball over against these 3 defenses. 

Darnold is the highest pressured qb in the NFL,  he also has the 2nd most td passes under pressure and most of his ints are under pressure. 

The issue is our ol is terrible,  worst in football. Darnold with beachum is 3-1 this season,  he just needs a tiny bit of help. 

If we sucked enough for Andrew Thomas we would be set,  but I doubt we land him he'll probably go to the skins.

I want Beachum back. Maybe he plays RT, Maye he doesn’t even start all the games and we draft more guys that end up playing down the line. Great locker room guy, solid OT just not special be a solid veteran to a young player. Even if it’s not Thomas, I have a feeling Alex Leatherwood amongst others are going to start flying up boards. Getting a plug and play OT is paramount.

3 minutes ago, NYJets4716 said:

Darnold is the highest pressured qb in the NFL,  he also has the 2nd most td passes under pressure and most of his ints are under pressure. 

The issue is our ol is terrible,  worst in football. Darnold with beachum is 3-1 this season,  he just needs a tiny bit of help. 

If we sucked enough for Andrew Thomas we would be set,  but I doubt we land him he'll probably go to the skins.

In my 15 years on FF I went on the main board once. Realized that it’s infuriating and never went back. I’m sure they’re some great posters but Jets are low hanging fruit and I don’t have the patience for those fools. 

1 hour ago, ekill08x said:

I want Beachum back. Maybe he plays RT, Maye he doesn’t even start all the games and we draft more guys that end up playing down the line. Great locker room guy, solid OT just not special be a solid veteran to a young player. Even if it’s not Thomas, I have a feeling Alex Leatherwood amongst others are going to start flying up boards. Getting a plug and play OT is paramount.

I'd be cool with brining Beachum back, might not (realistically) find a better option in FA and obviously a great locker room guy + I have little faith in Edoga at the moment. 

Wonder how much he's going to be asking for? His current deal ($8mil) seems fair. 

1 hour ago, ekill08x said:

I'm all for re-signing Beachum, drafting an OL and playing them at an open spot (whether it be G/RT), and re-evaluate going forward. I think Edoga has talent, but by no means should we give him a spot. Knowing that Winters was playing with one shoulder, I could even consider bringing him back to compete, but my ideal line would be... 

• LT: Kelvin Beachum  
  • LG: Alex Lewis --- Round 2-3 draft pick 
  • C: Joe Looney --- Jonotthan Harrison 
  • RG: Graham Glasgow --- Tom Compton 
  • RT: Round 1 draft pick --- Chuma Edoga  

My reasoning for this group (from right to left): I think the draft is loaded with 1st round caliber tackles, and one should be available assuming we're picking between 4-13. Specifically, guys like Wirfs and Wills are versatile and can play on the left or the right, similar to Chuma (who shifts into a backup/developmental role, with the possibility to become a starter in the future). By signing Glasgow, you get a high caliber interior OL who has proven he can play any of the positions. This allows the Jets to be flexible in the rest of FA and the draft. Looney has played well as a spot starter throughout his career, so we give him a chance to be a full-time starter on a reasonable contract, but if the Jets find a stud G in the draft, they could always release Harrison, move Glasgow to C, and push Looney back into a reserve role. Lewis and Beachum have been a really great tandem when both are healthy, so I see no reason why to break them apart. Draft a G/C in day 2 of the draft to develop with eyes on him becoming a starter at one of the 3 interior line positions within the next year or 2. Boom, line rebuilt with tons of flexibly and versatility so the Jets don't pigeonhole themselves in the coming years. 

1 hour ago, NYJets4716 said:

Leveon bell has the least yards before contact in the NFL,  our ol truly is awful and anyone who watches the games see that is ouir issue . The ignorant fools on the main board thinking we need a qb change are inaccurate 

To be fair, you too would probably be one of those ignorant fools if not a Jets fan.

Most general fans have only seen the highlights of Sams ghost game or affiliate him with the dysfunction that has surrounded this team, so their perception is understandable. We've all seen enough of Sam to be optimistic about his future. We'll have the last laugh eventually B| 

Edited by NJC33

I heard Gase & Darnold starting meeting more and getting ideas from Sam. As much as I don't like Gase, I liked hearing that. It's better than gase forcing his system. 

Obviously, the last game was huge for Sam and if he can finish this season strong, it would help with free agency. 

8 hours ago, jetskid007 said:

I'm all for re-signing Beachum, drafting an OL and playing them at an open spot (whether it be G/RT), and re-evaluate going forward. I think Edoga has talent, but by no means should we give him a spot. Knowing that Winters was playing with one shoulder, I could even consider bringing him back to compete, but my ideal line would be... 

• LT: Kelvin Beachum  
  • LG: Alex Lewis --- Round 2-3 draft pick 
  • C: Joe Looney --- Jonotthan Harrison 
  • RG: Graham Glasgow --- Tom Compton 
  • RT: Round 1 draft pick --- Chuma Edoga  

My reasoning for this group (from right to left): I think the draft is loaded with 1st round caliber tackles, and one should be available assuming we're picking between 4-13. Specifically, guys like Wirfs and Wills are versatile and can play on the left or the right, similar to Chuma (who shifts into a backup/developmental role, with the possibility to become a starter in the future). By signing Glasgow, you get a high caliber interior OL who has proven he can play any of the positions. This allows the Jets to be flexible in the rest of FA and the draft. Looney has played well as a spot starter throughout his career, so we give him a chance to be a full-time starter on a reasonable contract, but if the Jets find a stud G in the draft, they could always release Harrison, move Glasgow to C, and push Looney back into a reserve role. Lewis and Beachum have been a really great tandem when both are healthy, so I see no reason why to break them apart. Draft a G/C in day 2 of the draft to develop with eyes on him becoming a starter at one of the 3 interior line positions within the next year or 2. Boom, line rebuilt with tons of flexibly and versatility so the Jets don't pigeonhole themselves in the coming years. 

I would be happy with this. I love the Glasgow and Looney ideas. I think it better than investing heavily in a high priced G even if Glasgow cost a decent amount. All I ask is for the love of god can we at least run block around the league average. I feel like we havent had an even mediocre run blocking Oline since Mangold and Brick retired. I really do hope Mac goes all in on Oline. Both FA and draft.