The Development of Sam Darnold

jetskid007

23 hours ago, doumeyer said:

Gase, & Douglas, were dealt a lousy hand, 90% of the Jet roster are all Macc, players. We all know from early in the season we had a real bad roster. One thing is for sure Douglas, will seabag at least 25% to 30% of the current roster. The sad thing is next year will be a rebuilding year, and we just went thru 5 years of rebuilding with Macc,, We can't rebuild a O line in one year. 

Lol I know how you dislike mock drafts but i used a draft simulator (First Pick) and without trades came up with this

1 LT Thomas (Wirfs went ahead of him but I’d take either)

2 C Humphrey 

3a RT/G Throckmorton 

3b WR D Smith

4 OG Lemieux (Throckmorton running mate)

5 Edge Anse ( probably will go higher but who knows)

6 CB Lenoir

This could fix our OL and add depth to edge and CBs

Darnold is the 3rd highest rated QB in the past 4 games. 

Build that OL get a couple WRs, watch him work defenses. I am worried that Gase won't ever learn how to use Bell, but Bell is pretty much guaranteed to be on the roster next season because of his contract, unless traded. 

I think Bell can have a big year next season if we build up the OL and commit to running more, use him as a WR and move him around. Give Darnold some help. 

16 minutes ago, NYJets4716 said:

Darnold is the 3rd highest rated QB in the past 4 games. 

Build that OL get a couple WRs, watch him work defenses. I am worried that Gase won't ever learn how to use Bell, but Bell is pretty much guaranteed to be on the roster next season because of his contract, unless traded. 

I think Bell can have a big year next season if we build up the OL and commit to running more, use him as a WR and move him around. Give Darnold some help. 

Yeah deep ball on first drive aside I thought Sam gave us a chance and the line was just abysmal. I’ve been happy with his play and hope he just stays healthy the rest of the way. 

The running game is an issue. Partly on the line, partly on Gase’ scheme which is awful in running game and the fact that he never commits to it, but also partly on Bell.  Bell has looked very slow and even though he’s a patient runner it’s simply not working here, Bilal just hits the whole fast and has been a little more effective. Simply improving the line substantially won’t even be enough...Gase has to diagram better running schemes and Bell has to run better as well. All three need to be held accountable.

I wouldn’t mind selecting a RB in 4th or 5th round if a quality one falls further than expected. Need new blood and physicality back there. Sam would be able to actually keep defenses honest with a running game. 

8 minutes ago, ekill08x said:

Yeah deep ball on first drive aside I thought Sam gave us a chance and the line was just abysmal. I’ve been happy with his play and hope he just stays healthy the rest of the way. 

The running game is an issue. Partly on the line, partly on Gase’ scheme which is awful in running game and the fact that he never commits to it, but also partly on Bell.  Bell has looked very slow and even though he’s a patient runner it’s simply not working here, Bilal just hits the whole fast and has been a little more effective. Simply improving the line substantially won’t even be enough...Gase has to diagram better running schemes and Bell has to run better as well. All three need to be held accountable.

I wouldn’t mind selecting a RB in 4th or 5th round if a quality one falls further than expected. Need new blood and physicality back there. Sam would be able to actually keep defenses honest with a running game. 

Blaming Bell for our poor run game is a poor analysis IMO. We have the worst OL in the NFL. No RB can succeed with that bad of an OL. Name me any RB that succeeded with literally the worst OL in the league? Please. You can name RBs that did good with ok or even below average OLines… but not the worst.

11 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

Blaming Bell for our poor run game is a poor analysis IMO. We have the worst OL in the NFL. No RB can succeed with that bad of an OL. Name me any RB that succeeded with literally the worst OL in the league? Please. You can name RBs that did good with ok or even below average OLines… but not the worst.

Agreed, metrics say that Bell isplaying well. But our line is the worst in football at run blocking shown by the leagues worst yards before contact line.  Bell is breaking tackles making guys miss for minimum gains due to poor blocking. 

42 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

I said he’s only part of the issue...but to say it’s not his fault AT ALL to me is even worse analysis when Bilal has looked better. 

Also Saquon as rookie who had an atrocious OLINE Had a monster year.

Just sounds like more excuses...

33 minutes ago, ekill08x said:

I said he’s only part of the issue...but to say it’s not his fault AT ALL to me is even worse analysis when Bilal has looked better. 

Also Saquon as rookie who had an atrocious OLINE Had a monster year.

Just sounds like more excuses...

The Giants OL last year was WAY better than this OL for starters. And I'm not at all making excuses. My analysis is that this OL needs an overhaul. And to judge a RB and a QB behind this OL is just not fair. If you want to point a finger... point that to years of neglecting the offense in the draft and even FA. Not just even Macc... bc this trend has been going for us neglecting offense for several GMs. #What we field on offense is embarrassing and it shows. Its so bad we make superstars like Bell look below average. And like I said you cant put Jim Brown behind this OL and he will not do much better. So pointing a finger to Bell is just poor IMO.

1 minute ago, Bobby816 said:

The Giants OL last year was WAY better than this OL for starters. And I'm not at all making excuses. My analysis is that this OL needs an overhaul. And to judge a RB and a QB behind this OL is just not fair. If you want to point a finger... point that to years of neglecting the offense in the draft and even FA. Not just even Macc... bc this trend has been going for us neglecting offense for several GMs. #What we field on offense is embarrassing and it shows. Its so bad we make superstars like Bell look below average. And like I said you cant put Jim Brown behind this OL and he will not do much better. So pointing a finger to Bell is just poor IMO.

Listen agree to disagree here. The giants OLINE last year was not WAY better. Say that to a Giants fan and they’ll spit their beer out. Our line is atrocious, no question.  I agree about everything else your saying but I’ve been saying Bell has looked slower for weeks. I’m not simply pointing my finger...I’m saying we have 3 issues that are hurting the running game and part of it is how Bell has ran. Not utilizing him is a completely different story. Gase also can’t diagram a run blocking scheme to save his life or commit enough to get Bell going. Bell is by far the least at fault but I’d still like to see more burst from him. 

Comparing the running styles of Bell to Barkley is not overly accurate.  Bell is a patient inside the tackles runner who exploits a hole before it is completely open.  Similar to the way C-Mart played.  Saquon is able to run outside, make a cut and is gone.When a D plays contain on the outside, Barkley falters.  Plus Barkley is used more in the passing game which, for some reason, Gase refuses to do with Bell.

I'd trade Bell if someone offered a 2 for him on draft day.  That way we can draft multiple ol in round 1 and 2 and have an extra pick to draft a wr in round 2 where there should be a few studs on the board.  I'd be ok drafting a RB with the Giants pick or round 4 where we should be able to find a well rounded back to run behind a restocked OL.

Bell does look slow out there but that's always been his style.  I just hate having heavy resources tied to a RB as a general roster construction strategy.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, xrade said:

Comparing the running styles of Bell to Barkley is not overly accurate.  Bell is a patient inside the tackles runner who exploits a hole before it is completely open.  Similar to the way C-Mart played.  Saquon is able to run outside, make a cut and is gone.When a D plays contain on the outside, Barkley falters.  Plus Barkley is used more in the passing game which, for some reason, Gase refuses to do with Bell.

Wasn’t comparing running styles 😔...just used as an example of a RB having success behind a horrible OLINE.

Our line is by far the worst I have ever witnessed as a Jets fan. Darnold's escape-ability is the only reason why we aren't leading the league in sacks/QB hits. We're currently 3rd most in sacks with 46 (TEN/MIA tied with 49), and 4th in QB hits with 87 (MIA leads with 106, ATL 100, NYG 96). 

Improving the line will impact the entire offense, especially the run game and deep passing. I feel we can go either way with Bell - he's been a great teammate and he's done the best he could behind a shoddy OL, but his style isn't conducive to this line. The argument for keeping him: his play will improve as our line improves; the argument for trading him: he's a 28 year old RB who won't be spending his 29th year with the Jets - might as well accumulate assets for him while the team still can. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jetskid007 said:

Our line is by far the worst I have ever witnessed as a Jets fan. Darnold's escape-ability is the only reason why we aren't leading the league in sacks/QB hits. We're currently 3rd most in sacks with 46 (TEN/MIA tied with 49), and 4th in QB hits with 87 (MIA leads with 106, ATL 100, NYG 96). 

Improving the line will impact the entire offense, especially the run game and deep passing. I feel we can go either way with Bell - he's been a great teammate and he's done the best he could behind a shoddy OL, but his style isn't conducive to this line. The argument for keeping him: his play will improve as our line improves; the argument for trading him: he's a 28 year old RB who won't be spending his 29th year with the Jets - might as well accumulate assets for him while the team still can. 

I'd add that money will still have to be there... but having Bell could only help attract FA OLineman. What are we selling if we trade him besides money.

I was merely stating that Barkley is able and willing to go outside while Bell does not.  Running between the tackles as opposed to outside the tackles requires more sustained blocking.  Both OL are/were bad, but a runner able to use his speed to get around the corner with maybe a LB and/or DB in his way does not need as much help from the OL.  That was my point.