The Development of Sam Darnold

jetskid007

On 12/3/2019 at 5:53 AM, Bobby816 said:

Sorry im not buying this. A month ago I could have "maybe" bought it. But not at week 13.

You do realize that mono takes months to recover from right? And that very few nfl players get stronger get as the season goes on. 

Even if you want to argue that Darnold is superman and was completely over mono when he returned. He had still just missed a month being I'll with an energy draining illness. Theres simply no way that he didn't lose strength during this period.

Unlike the offseason however, once healthy enough to work out and try and get back to full strength he also has to juggle game prep related  and recovery stuff so he cant just focus solely on gaining strength mid season. 

It's not exactly realistic to expect him to look like he never got sick during this season.

2 minutes ago, drew39k said:

You do realize that mono takes months to recover from right? And that very few nfl players get stronger get as the season goes on. 

Even if you want to argue that Darnold is superman and was completely over mono when he returned. He had still just missed a month being I'll with an energy draining illness. Theres simply no way that he didn't lose strength during this period.

Unlike the offseason however, once healthy enough to work out and try and get back to full strength he also has to juggle game prep related  and recovery stuff so he cant just focus solely on gaining strength mid season. 

It's not exactly realistic to expect him to look like he never got sick during this season.

So I guess his 3 games previous to that (where he played great)... mono didn't affect him?

Just now, Bobby816 said:

So I guess his 3 games previous to that (where he played great)... mono didn't affect him?

It did... it's why his throws dont have the same zip and his deep ball is floating to much.

Never said he can't still be successful, just that he isnt working at 100%

Just now, drew39k said:

It did... it's why his throws dont have the same zip and his deep ball is floating to much.

And what players at Week 12 and on are 100%? I love that he wanted on the field badly once recovered. And his poor performances right when he came back... I will admit might have had something to do with recovering from mono. But here we are a couple months later and I'm not buying that his zip isn't there from it still. It appeared he didn't have a severe case of mono (based on reports). His deep ball needs to get better period.

6 hours ago, JetsandI said:

Darnold doesn't have strong arm strength by natural.  Right mechanic he makes a solid throw. Wrong mechanic he is a toast.  Simple.

I think it’s more he has no time to throw, is running improvising and not able to step into most his throws and why he’s been off strength wise. So that’s an OL issue once again. Not a Darnold issue 

7 hours ago, drew39k said:

I have been say that when I heard he had Mono. Only a fool thinks you get over mono in a few week. most if not all the time it takes months.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

Agreed. He has plenty of arm strength. Just bc he's not Favre or Mahomes doesn't mean he has a weak arm.

Sam's arm talent is among the top 10 in the NFL, but his game doesn't require him to rip it consistently. Sam's biggest struggle right now is his deep ball consistency, and a large reason for that is instinct to throw off base. When he learns how to consistently throw off a cleaner base, you'll see a lot more wow throws on the money. First step is improving the OL in front of him, and by the time he's in year 4, 5, 6, 7... you'll see a player who is much like Romo was at his peak. 

29 minutes ago, jetskid007 said:

Sam's arm talent is among the top 10 in the NFL, but his game doesn't require him to rip it consistently. Sam's biggest struggle right now is his deep ball consistency, and a large reason for that is instinct to throw off base. When he learns how to consistently throw off a cleaner base, you'll see a lot more wow throws on the money. First step is improving the OL in front of him, and by the time he's in year 4, 5, 6, 7... you'll see a player who is much like Romo was at his peak. 

Right now it is impossible to judge Darnold.as long as we have a pathetic offensive line, and a lack of pass receivers, and no running game because of the O line. These problems is what makes him look a step or two behind Jackson, Mayfield, and Josh Allen. He is built like Eli Manning, has the same demeanor, except Darnold moves and throws on the run better. And there is nothing wrong about being another Eli Manning. The bottom line is he needs much better talent around him. His only problem he has is the same ones he had at SO Cal. making terrible passes when under pressure, and good coaching can fix that. His demeanor is his big asset. Right now we have a expansion team offensive roster and Douglas, will fix that within two years.

14 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

I think it’s more he has no time to throw, is running improvising and not able to step into most his throws and why he’s been off strength wise. So that’s an OL issue once again. Not a Darnold issue 

Agreed. Darnold has been put into the WORST situation in the NFL. He is constantly under pressure, has zero run game to lean on.  This is not like Josh Allen or even Lamar Jackson where they were put into great situations. Josh Allen has a great OL, run game, great defense, and is asked just not to lose games.

Lamar Jackson is a different beast cause hes a running QB, but he has a ELITE OL, great defense, and a scheme nobody can figure out right now. I don't think Lamar would be as effective running here behind our pathetic OL that literally gets no push.

If you give Darnold a OL that is even average, a run game, you'll see a different QB. That is the best way to lower INTs as well. Problem is Darnold at 22 yrs old is asked to win games weekly. I think Darnold has the ability to be a top tier QB, but the Jets could also screw him up if they don't fix the issues we have. 

This will probably be the worst situation Darnold has to put up with. I have faith that Joe Douglas is going to be competent and construct a better football team by addressing important areas like the OL. 

2 hours ago, doumeyer said:

Right now it is impossible to judge Darnold.as long as we have a pathetic offensive line, and a lack of pass receivers, and no running game because of the O line. These problems is what makes him look a step or two behind Jackson, Mayfield, and Josh Allen. He is built like Eli Manning, has the same demeanor, except Darnold moves and throws on the run better. And there is nothing wrong about being another Eli Manning. The bottom line is he needs much better talent around him. His only problem he has is the same ones he had at SO Cal. making terrible passes when under pressure, and good coaching can fix that. His demeanor is his big asset. Right now we have a expansion team offensive roster and Douglas, will fix that within two years.

I've seen enough to know what he'll be in the NFL: Tony Romo-plus

The primary differences between him and Romo are that Sam was on the map (went to a PAC-12 school), he's bigger/stronger/quicker, and is younger than Romo was when he entered the NFL. Playing styles are extremely similar, but Sam is simply more gifted which is why I think he will be a "juiced up" version of Romo.

The primary questions we need to be asking ourselves are whether that talent gap gap will result in more wins than Romo had, if Sam can perform in clutch moments, and whether he can stay healthy. Otherwise, I think we should expect that Sam will be something around a 65% passer who will always throw around 10-15 INTs a year but will make up for those turnovers with a lot of yards, a lot of TDs, and some games where he simply puts the team on his back to generate wins. 

22 minutes ago, jetskid007 said:

I've seen enough to know what he'll be in the NFL: Tony Romo-plus

The primary differences between him and Romo are that Sam was on the map (went to a PAC-12 school), he's bigger/stronger/quicker, and is younger than Romo was when he entered the NFL. Playing styles are extremely similar, but Sam is simply more gifted which is why I think he will be a "juiced up" version of Romo.

The primary questions we need to be asking ourselves are whether that talent gap gap will result in more wins than Romo had, if Sam can perform in clutch moments, and whether he can stay healthy. Otherwise, I think we should expect that Sam will be something around a 65% passer who will always throw around 10-15 INTs a year but will make up for those turnovers with a lot of yards, a lot of TDs, and some games where he simply puts the team on his back to generate wins. 

In all honesty... Its impossible to predict Darnolds career. Its for Douglas to make this kid succeed. He can have Brady, Peyton, Brees talent... but if we don't protect him and give him weapons (until he can prove he can perform without big weapons). He will be below average. Give him an OL in front of him and a couple weapons and I have no doubt he will our franchise QB.