Week 11: Broncos (3-6) at VIKINGS (7-3)

swede700

When the offense plays with urgency and allows Cousins to let loose, it seems like it works a lot better. They tried leaning on Cook way too long in the first half. Should have done the uptempo stuff to start the second quarter when they were already down two scores.

• Like 4

I'll admit that I turned it off (I was listening to it on Game Pass) once the Broncos were about to go up 20-0, but I was immensely pleased to see that they came back to win...so I watched the 2nd half later that night.  Even though I knew they were going to win, at the end, I was still nervous.  xD

This should hopefully give the team an immense morale boost coming out of the bye.  I was, of course, significantly disappointed at how they came out and played, but like a good team does, they didn't quit.  I've seen many a Vikings team quit in the past when they got down like that.  This one didn't.  I think this bodes well for the rest of the season.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, swede700 said:

This should hopefully give the team an immense morale boost coming out of the bye.  I was, of course, significantly disappointed at how they came out and played, but like a good team does, they didn't quit.  

At halftime of Sunday’s game against the Broncos, Vikings coach Mike Zimmer didn’t rant and rave. He didn’t throw things. He didn’t deliver a fiery speech. As explained by phone to PFT after Minnesota’s improbable come-from-behind victory by Vikings tight end Kyle Rudolph, Zimmer simply told the team: “That’s not us. That’s not good enough. But we still have 30 minutes left. We can go fight and see what happens.”

Rudolph said that the players recognized the importance of doing whatever they could in the final two quarters to get their eighth win in Week 11, especially with a bye looming.

“It was huge to get to 8-3 at the bye,” Rudolph said. “It was so big to fight and not give up if we wanted to keep pace with the other teams in the NFC.”

Rudolph said that the desire to keep fighting became confidence that the Vikings could win once they took the opening kickoff of the second half and converted it into a nine-play, 75-yard touchdown drive. Even after the Broncos added a field goal, Rudolph said that the Vikings realized that they were only two possessions from tying the game.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/11/18/first-touchdown-made-vikings-believe-they-could-win/

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

When the offense plays with urgency and allows Cousins to let loose, it seems like it works a lot better. They tried leaning on Cook way too long in the first half. Should have done the uptempo stuff to start the second quarter when they were already down two scores.

I've noticed that all year it wasn't just this game. Kirk runs that uptempo really well for the most part.

Did we try to grt Dalvin invloved the passing game in the first half? I don't remember seeing any screens or anything involving him. Would've helped get offense going quicker

Edited by KOTN-93

1 minute ago, KOTN-93 said:

I've noticed that all year it wasn't just this game. Kirk runs that uptempo really well for the most part.

Did we try to grt Dalvin invloved the passing game in the first half? I don't remember seeing any screens or anything involving him. Would've helped get offense going quicker

They did, but he often got bottled up at the LOS or very shortly thereafter.  

22 minutes ago, KOTN-93 said:

The screen game probably wasn’t used as much as it should have early on given that the run game wasn’t working.

I can't believe that was Smith Jr.'s first touchdown.  I thought he had some earlier in the year.  I was positive.  Guess not.

I can't believe how wide open Slo-Mo was on that 32 yard touchdown pass.

Crazy, crazy game.  Two 2 minute warnings?

If the Broncos receiver turns around a split second sooner on the final two plays, the Vikings lose.

24 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

it's a game of inches...

Agreed.  If the Vikings' corner had moved his hands a couple of inches closer, maybe Courtland Sutton and that Patrick guy never make the catches they made and the Vikings actually may have gotten ahead sooner.  

6 hours ago, Illadelegend215 said:

While I understand your gripes, this comeback is special because the broncos have the number 4 ranked defense. You can argue that they have the best passing defense in football, with the number one rated safety and Chris Harris at corner. Down 20 at the half with a dline that not only abused our oline, but KNOWING we had to pass our way out of this is what made it special. Kirk came out there and lead 4 touchdown drives while our all world running back was being shut down. Hell, it wasn’t dalvin who opened the game for Kirk, it was the other way around. 

What im trying to convey is that we have a qb that has come a long way from turning into check down Charlie against a top 5 defense (a la week 4). And actually broncos defense are rated higher than that bears defense. That’s what this victory is truly about. With this win it is no doubt in my mind our offense is sharp enough to win a Super Bowl. Defense HAS to perform though.

I agree with all of this.  He has played well.  I just can’t feel ecstatic yet, how other fans seem so easy doing. 

Cousins has been impressive and this game was one for the ages, but we can’t expect our glaring holes not to cost us in very important games against great football teams unless they improve or a bit of luck is on our side. I hope we improve. 

In terms of Cousins though, yes, this game was very impressive. 

i think if we all speak less of fans, and more of football, it will be better.

NFL teams who trailed by at least 20 points at halftime were an astounding 0-99 over the past five seasons. You can now make that 1-99 after a wild second half in which the Vikings outscored Denver, 27-3.

https://www.vikings.com/news/5-takeaways-vikings-outcome-determined-on-final-play-for-3rd-straight-week?sf223879584=1

• Like 2

The Vikings' final stop came on third down, and capped off a successful day for the Vikings in that category. Denver converted just five of 18 attempts on third downs, including just two of 10 conversions in the second half.

The Vikings were especially stout in the fourth quarter, as Denver converted just once on seven third downs.

https://www.vikings.com/news/5-takeaways-vikings-outcome-determined-on-final-play-for-3rd-straight-week?sf223879584=1

52 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

The Vikings' final stop came on third down, and capped off a successful day for the Vikings in that category. Denver converted just five of 18 attempts on third downs, including just two of 10 conversions in the second half.

The Vikings were especially stout in the fourth quarter, as Denver converted just once on seven third downs.

Three fourth down conversions though... cough... cough....

Edit:  Of course the Vikings converted two also, right?  Wonder when the last time there were 5 fourth down conversions in one game...?

Edited by since72
I'm half asleep.

1 hour ago, swede700 said:

Agreed.  If the Vikings' corner had moved his hands a couple of inches closer, maybe Courtland Sutton and that Patrick guy never make the catches they made and the Vikings actually may have gotten ahead sooner.  

Those were unbelievable.  It looked like the ball went right through the defender and into the hands of the receiver.  Inches indeed.