King Henry Appreciation Thread.

dtait93

36 minutes ago, -Hope- said:

if we can actually get him at that price it's a no brainer.

I mean he’s not going to be signed here or anywhere else at some of the crazy numbers thrown around like 15 million. He doesn’t have the accolades to demand that much and really if we look at his play overall during his 4 years here, he really didn’t do anything consistently until the end of last year. I really don’t see him getting anything over 10m per. The Bell, Johnson, Gurley, and Zeke’s of the world were able to demand that much because of their proven play over a multitude of seasons, multiple pro bowls, and versatility. He doesn’t have any of that yet outside of a little bit of versatility with his screen game. Nobody is signing him to the amount of money those guys got.

7 minutes ago, dtait93 said:

I mean he’s not going to be signed here or anywhere else at some of the crazy numbers thrown around like 15 million. He doesn’t have the accolades to demand that much and really if we look at his play overall during his 4 years here, he really didn’t do anything consistently until the end of last year. I really don’t see him getting anything over 10m per. The Bell, Johnson, Gurley, and Zeke’s of the world were able to demand that much because of their proven play over a multitude of seasons, multiple pro bowls, and versatility. He doesn’t have any of that yet outside of a little bit of versatility with his screen game. Nobody is signing him to the amount of money those guys got.

If it starts to trickle over 10m a season then you say thanks for your service and good luck. We all love Henry but let’s be honest, he’s limited in the passing game. He’s not an everydown back and you can’t pay someone like that 10+m a season. 

2 hours ago, dtait93 said:

8.5-9m/yr is perfect.

Yeah, I'd do that.  But if we would quickly sign him to that number it means he's worth more than that.  He'll be an unrestricted FA, correct?  You think every other team in the NFL is gonna look at a 6'3" 240 lb back who can run like a wideout and who puts up 180 yard games and just say, "Nope, that's too rich for our blood"?

5 hours ago, titanrick said:

Yeah, I'd do that.  But if we would quickly sign him to that number it means he's worth more than that.  He'll be an unrestricted FA, correct?  You think every other team in the NFL is gonna look at a 6'3" 240 lb back who can run like a wideout and who puts up 180 yard games and just say, "Nope, that's too rich for our blood"?

Is that really how the league sees him though? Or do they see him as a limited, one dimensional back that is useless in the passing game who plays a position they can draft and pay at a fraction of the price to give them similar production? I’d argue it’s moreso the latter than what you described. Atleast that’s how a lot of people in this forum see him judging by this thread.

We’d all be quick to sign him at that number because he’s the identity of our offense. He gives us value that he wouldn’t for most other teams.

Edited by dtait93

1 hour ago, titanrick said:

He’s gonna ask for Gurley money. May not get it but someone will pay him more than we are willing to. Start the acceptance process now. 

I could easily see this being the case. He's just not worth 12-14 million a year. No RB is actually and pretty much all backups have proven that across the league when the star ahead of them is out for whatever reason.

Once he hits 10 mil a year I think he needs to go somewhere else. Anything under that and I'd like to bring him back.

• Like 1

It's all in how his contract is structured. Luckily for us we have one of the best contract guys in the business in Vin Marino, so hopefully even if it does get over the 10M a year range we can be creative about front loading it, so we can get out of the contract relatively pain free in the later years if we have to. My opinion is that you don't let the "pillars" of your Franchise walk, and Derrick has turned into one of those pillars for us. Good teams keep their top homegrown talent around, and Derrick has turned into one of the best RBs in the league. He's still limited in the pass game, but he's such a special weapon in the run game. At 25 I feel like we gotta see him through to at least that 30 year old landmark before we move on.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, SerenityNow said:

It's all in how his contract is structured. Luckily for us we have one of the best contract guys in the business in Vin Marino, so hopefully even if it does get over the 10M a year range we can be creative about front loading it, so we can get out of the contract relatively pain free in the later years if we have to. My opinion is that you don't let the "pillars" of your Franchise walk, and Derrick has turned into one of those pillars for us. Good teams keep their top homegrown talent around, and Derrick has turned into one of the best RBs in the league. He's still limited in the pass game, but he's such a special weapon in the run game. At 25 I feel like we gotta see him through to at least that 30 year old landmark before we move on.

He might be one of the best pure runners in the game. It's a pretty complete package there, and we're going to continue running this type of offense, he's a great fit. 

But he is limited in the Pass game... Not only as a receiver, but also as a blocker. He can do both, but he's not above replacement level aylt either. He's become deadly on screens, but thats essentially a long handoff. 

I always thought that his game and Marcus' didn't mesh well. I still think Marcus will be good in a system similar to what he ran in college (some nfl offenses are running similar systems). And Henry is more of a throwback who gets better as the game goes on. He may not be a traditional bruiser... But defenders get tired of trying to hit him, or better said, getting hit by him. Even with 8 man boxes, he gets positive yards... Leads the league in ya contact. 

But he's not a 3 down back, like the Gurley and Bells and Barkleys, etc. The contract should make that clear... In order for me to be comfortable with it. 

• Like 2

I was wrong about Henry and im so happy I was. I thought he looked great behind that bama oline but ran tall and idk I just didnt see it. boy I was wrong. Guy is a monster and hes playing behind a trash oline for the most part. And if we arent paying Marcus then i see no reason why to let him walk. If I were him and had a choice ( I know he doesnt) Id want to leave. We don't deserve him. And last year I thought he came on so strong at the end. Why? The talk with George? Coach pressure? Media fan pressure?  MEH I really just think he is a late season back. No one wants to tackle him in the cold with their season probs over anyways. its happening again this year. Idk just a random thought

On topic.While its not the best idea to sign backs to big contracts Im willing to risk it for Henry. Hes special