I think we saw the future last night...

kurgan

18 hours ago, wwhickok said:

Speaking of future. My #1 preferred FA target would be FB Derek Watt who is a UFA after this season!

As a high school coach, I would love the idea of having Derek Watt, Rosie Nix and James Connor in my wishbone!!!!

We would straight up kill defenses like that Jerome Bettis commercial....

Now, I usually run 2 TE when I do it, so I would need Vanett, McDonald and even put Banner in a 90 number.   But, since we have the WRs we do, I can run 31 personnel and have a true split end.  That would have to be Juju and JW.... I could use DJ as a speed guy if I went broken bone, Maryland I or even Power I.  Student body sweeps with him would be SICK.

Thanks for allowing me to fantasize about dominating high school football teams with my outdated 1970's offense!!!

• Like 1

On 2019-11-12 at 7:50 PM, wwhickok said:

Speaking of future. My #1 preferred FA target would be FB Derek Watt who is a UFA after this season!

I-formation and some FB blocking in the run game. This is more like it for me, sets up PA and helps the young QB, keeps diva potential at a minimum ;)

Is he a better blocking FB than Nix?

8 hours ago, kurgan said:

Thanks for allowing me to fantasize about dominating high school football teams with my outdated 1970's offense!!!

It might not be fantasy or sarcasm at all. If the right players can execute a scheme that suits their skills, it should be a winning effort.  Now, if we fire fichner, are you available for the job xD Don't forget on resume, qualifications would be that you are a member  here  .

As a coach , what do you think of the OL this year compared to last year?

Imo, Derek Watt is the best blocking FB in the league, Devlin in NE who is injured I think, he is up there too.

Our rushing attack, believe it or not, for whatever reason has been worse this season with Nix on the field. Idk y, it doesnt make sense because Nix is a good blocker but stats say it isnt working apparently 

12 hours ago, 3rivers said:

It might not be fantasy or sarcasm at all. If the right players can execute a scheme that suits their skills, it should be a winning effort

I for one, would love to see this offense come back.... it would be a stylistic nightmare for "today's" NFL, and fly in the face of all of the Air Raid crap we are seeing now more often.

Now, if we fire fichner, are you available for the job xD Don't forget on resume, qualifications would be that you are a member  here  

100%... I can let my Head Coach know immediately.  I would love to tackle the Pitt media and let everyone know that we are going 2TE, wishbone.  God, would that be amazing.  I would have to trade, trade, trade.

As a coach , what do you think of the OL this year compared to last year?

Honestly, I think we seeing the result of an OL built for Ben to do his scramble around, pass downfield attack, and how it does not fit what we need to do with Rudolph, which is run-based attack, clock management and timing routes to maximize his assets.

I LOVE AV, Decastro, and Feiler.  Those 3 guys are cornerstone linemen, that are good for at least 2-3 more years, each.  I almost put Pouncey in there as well, as I think he is one of the best centers in the league, regardless of his play as of late and the metrics by PFF that everyone spouts out.  I use more of the eye test, and I know he has had a rough couple of weeks, but he is still good.  Could he be better?  Yes, but there are also challenges of Foster (will get there in a sec), different QB, stylistic changes when the offense has to evolve that affect the center more than other linemen (calls, playclock, pace, cadence, snap locations).  

Now, Foster... I think he is a serviceable NFL lineman.  For 20 other teams, he would be their top 3 OL, but for us, we are used to elite OL play and the 'old' Foster.  There IS a noticable dropoff in his play, at least for me, but not to the degree that I would classify him as a weakness.  (BTW, as a former OC, I HATE the snap count thing that Foster/Ben do.  Ya know, where Foster looks at Ben and then touches Pouncey and he snaps... I never got that, and never will.)

As for the others.... Banner is amazing and his story is even better.  He is the new OL coach's AV in that he saw moldable clay and turned him into a helluva player.  I really have mixed feelings about Chuks, as he played well IMO on Sunday, but is still do young.  I do think he is the future of the RT slot.  Finney is an above average OL who, like Foster, is going to start on 10-15 of NFL teams at guard.  Just not in Pitt.  Because a) we won't be able to afford him and b) too loyal to Foster AND/OR have Feiler.

AAAAND, since I am evaluating OL guys... I LOVE Gray.  I think he is a future player for us.  I know everyone loved Fred Johnson (as did I), but he was more NFL ready.  I think everyone is going to be shocked by how well he progresses this year on the PS, and how much of an impact he will have as the "new Finney" next year.

All in all, to answer your question more directly... it would be untruthful to say that we have not regressed in the OL department since last year.  However, I do believe it is MORE to do with the scheme change of Ben's injury than anything.  I know it sounds crazy, but changing QB's does change how the line works, especially going from a gunslinger to a young kid.  The whole scheme has to change, and the line is affected so much by the change of style.  Going from pass, pass, pass to ball control and run oriented is TOUGH.  AV said himself that the line is built for the pass, and I think the change of Feiler to guard and Chucks to RT was an attempt to jumpstart the run game.  And, I think it worked.  Now, I expect the line to return to 'normal' this week, BUT.... I think we saw the 2020 OL vs the Rams.

BTW, I was re-reading this thread and I thought that maybe @wwhickok might have taken my post as I was being a smart***.  That was not my intention.  I am sorry if I came off as being rude.

Edited by kurgan
  • Like 1

So, most of us appear ready to turn the page and face the future of our Steelers. I for one question if we are going to lose valuable pending FA because of sense of loyalty to give the old Ben one more year to make a run at something.

Is it worth it? Are there other changes we could make to keep from losing Hargrave and Finney and Dupree (if he's at all affordable or if not a decent FA)? Ben has been a HOF quarterback for us, but personally I believe that his tank is empty. If Mason flops next year and the team has a terrible season, then we look to the draft for our next franchise quarterback. Honestly, Baltimore is the only AFC North team that knows they have their future franchise quarterback. If we don't turn the page now, how much more time will it take us to catch up?

We all know it was easier for the Ravens to move on from Average Joe Flacco. But, look at how the NFL can reward teams that make intelligent quick timely decisions.

4 hours ago, oksteeler said:

So, most of us appear ready to turn the page and face the future of our Steelers. I for one question if we are going to lose valuable pending FA because of sense of loyalty to give the old Ben one more year to make a run at something.

Is it worth it? Are there other changes we could make to keep from losing Hargrave and Finney and Dupree (if he's at all affordable or if not a decent FA)? Ben has been a HOF quarterback for us, but personally I believe that his tank is empty. If Mason flops next year and the team has a terrible season, then we look to the draft for our next franchise quarterback. Honestly, Baltimore is the only AFC North team that knows they have their future franchise quarterback. If we don't turn the page now, how much more time will it take us to catch up?

We all know it was easier for the Ravens to move on from Average Joe Flacco. But, look at how the NFL can reward teams that make intelligent quick timely decisions.

Not worth it. He never made the playoffs with more talent and an easy schedule last year and the OL playing solid with Munchak coaching. Thats a fail, and consider him returning from injury to less talent and no Munchak?  I am hoping they move on, keep the defence and let that unit get better as many of these defenders are actually going to get better as they enter their prime.  I think the defence could be a formidable/dominant unit for 4+ years without many additional players required. The offence had their run, but it failed.

Time to go back to defence and a rushing attack , share the cap there while Mason and Duck play QB.  If we get a decent OC, I am ready to watch a few years with Mason or Duck at QB and this defence intact.  Wisenhunt , wait, fire fichner now and bring back wisenhunt xD Not sure about that, but you get the idea, until fichner earns his keep, he is on the hotseat.

And about Dupree, while we are eating crow. He has taken severe amounts of criticism from all the media and fans alike, but he never once shouted back at all in any way . He just kept going about his business, working away and never blamed teammates, coaches or the scheme.  There have been players on offence in recent time that would complain and go all drama if they never got their way or it they didn't like the OC etc. I would prefer to keep players that keep working and stay quite, free of drama.  I never want tolerate the BS that we had to endure last season or anything close to that. Last season might have been what was required for the organization to realize what they needed to about certain players. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, kurgan said:

My god... that was bad.  OL wise, AV and Foster were deplorable.  Pouncey wasn't much better.  I don't remember how Feiler even did (probably good).  I even saw DDC have some bad moments.

A totally forgettable performance.

Feiler got walked backward a number of times.

That is terriying... it was just a total crap show from the first drive.   I could tell the sledding was going to be tough, but I never imagined our OL would turn into swiss cheese, Rudolph would revert to a middle school QB, and EVERYONE would literally start getting knocked out of the game with head injuries.  I was sick to my stomach BEFORE the end of the game incident.

Whatever Cleveland did to us defensively better not be a harbringer of the rest of the season.  This is going to be a long one if so.

8 hours ago, warfelg said:

Foster was absolutely horrible.

and has been all season, as has pouncey.  The 2 players that spoke out about Bell's $, both can't play anymore. 

This OL doesn't even resemble the unit that Munchak coached.  What a difference he was, Liked it when he got hired, a nd was pissed when he left. What a loss, can't praise Munchak enough, what a great coach.