Week #11 GDT Steelers at Browns Backyard Brawl Pt. 1

Steeler Hitman

2019-steelers-vs-browns.jpg

Who: Pittsburgh Steelers 5-4 at Cleveland Browns 3-6

When: Thursday, November  14, 2019 @8 pm

Where: First Energy Stadium Cleveland, Ohio

History: Steelers hold edge 75-58-1 including 7-0-1 record in the last eight meetings.

Last Meeting: 33-18 Steelers win in Pittsburgh on 10/28/18

DEFENSE:

Fitzpatrick_Minkah_RegWk03_49ers-1200x60

1. The Minkah factor.Talk about bad moves for the Steelers. :D9_9A wasted #1 draft choice that could be used on an impact player. :D9_9 We could have gotten a better player in the draft. xD:D  We blew a sure top five draft pick. :DxD9_9  I could go on and on .Amazing how much of an impact a smart and really good player has made on the secondary and overall defensive scheme. DC Keith Butler and HC Mike Tomlin now look pretty smart with good players to coach huh? This guy deserves some consideration for NFL DPOTY and definitely the Steelers MVP.  He has made a major impact on the defense and this team overall.

Einstein-meme.jpg

2. Stop the run.  The Browns follow the trend with playing teams with a good rushing attack.  Nick Chubb is running the ball as well as anyone in the entire NFL.  Stopping him and Hunt will be the priority of the defense.

3. Don't forget that the Browns have some pretty good receivers in Landry, Odell, and Calloway.  The Steelers secondary has been a strngth with the arrival on Minkah and Nelson, but they will be tested again this week.  Don't let the TE's run free either......

4. Fluster Baker.  This is a good QB with an attitude and competive fire. However, he can be flustered and taken out of his game.  Bud and TJ should be meeting up with Baker quite often. If not, Baker can pick you apart or hang in there long enough to throw that last second TD as he did against Buffalo.

baker-mayfield-gq-september-2019-01.jpg

OFFENSE:

th?id=OIP.eTUeCKBAqunBdS2pZs6h4QHaFb&pidNeed to see more of this from the Steelers offense. Big Ed "Da Hulk" Hochuli showing the guns.

1. It is becoming a cliche' at this point, but start fast!!!  The Steelers can't keep playing three quarters of football on offense. This is the week with a physical/tough/desperate Browns team to jump out in front early. No turnovers, no three and outs, no pick six or fumble return for TD. It would be nice to get an opening drive TD and allow the defense to play with a lead for once.

2. Establish the ground game. Run to help the pass. Play action pass (just don't do it inside of your 5 yard line) will open up and will help the intermediate and long passing game. You have to run the ball to win and our passing attack has not been good enough to rely on Mason and company throwing the 45 times a game.

3. Get your mojo back or in our case our Ju Ju back.  You have a great offensive weapon that has not been utilized consistently.  Ju Ju is best running crosses and getting one on one running. He is deceptively fast and is good at getting YAC yardage in this scenario.

873328552.jpg.0.jpg

4. Hold onto the ball. No butterfingers. No fumbles, tipped passes or poor throws for INT's. Turnovers create problems for the defense and missed opportunities.  You can't score without the ball. Or I should say, we can't expect the defense to score a TD or two every game. You are on the road and turnovers will doom you to a loss. Protect the football. It is prime time on a short week and on the road. You can't beat yourself.

butterfinger2.jpg

5. Eliminate offensive turnovers and negative down in distance. - - The offense is not that good right now and they cannot afford to play behind and on the road against a talented and hungry rival. No holding, false starts, illegal motion's, illegal formations or other penalties that can hurt you. The offense has to be more disciplined.  And while you are being disciplined, be more physical.  Steelers have not had great games running the ball the past two weeks without James Connor. Some has been the backs not reading blocks effectively, but a lot has been just not pushing the defense as well.

PRETTY LADIES:

girls-in-bikinis-07.jpg

202231H.jpg

ea2a94961a865c5cf1960608213fbf51.jpg

Prediction: The Steelers have enjoyed a healthy bit of success against the Browns over the years, but as last year showed, the Browns tie contributed to the Steelers failure to reach the play-offs.  This is by no means a gimme for either team. With rivalries, records seldomly matter.  The Steelers are hot and the Browns are coming off a big win.  The key will be who runs the ball better and gets more turnovers.  I think the Browns will run better based on their success, but I think the Steelers defense will create more turnovers.  Close game, but Steelers squeak out a win: Steelers over Browns 23-16. Minkah factors in the win again.

minkah-2.png

Edited by Steeler Hitman
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Chieferific said:

After such Defensive dominance vs the Rams, this sems like the typical let down game. Hopefully this team is different 

this is the problem with tomlins steelers, we will have to wait and see of course if this team is ready or will it be another last second win.

• Like 1

with our offense I can't look at this game as a "let down" game for the steelers. Browns very well can beat us if they score just a few touchdowns. a lose this Thursday won't be the worse thing tho. we'll be 5-5 with the Bengals and browns again at home. I can see 7-5 being possible

59 minutes ago, August4th said:

with our offense I can't look at this game as a "let down" game for the steelers. Browns very well can beat us if they score just a few touchdowns. a lose this Thursday won't be the worse thing tho. we'll be 5-5 with the Bengals and browns again at home. I can see 7-5 being possible

Agreed. I was referring to the Defense specifically. After shutting down the Rams, if Baker/OBJ and Co. shred the Defense I'm gonna be peeved

I'm hoping it'll be a good game.

Your defense excels at forcing turnovers, and that's been one of our biggest problems all year long, although we've been better about it the past couple of weeks. And our OL really struggles when going up against a good front seven, so your front seven will likely abuse our OL and thus cause problems for our offense.

If we can limit the mistakes, run the ball a lot and just have an efficient offensive game, then we'll have a chance. Defensively we're a bit inconsistent, and we lost to a backup QB the other week vs. the Broncos, so I won't be surprised if Rudolph has a really solid game.

26 minutes ago, DawgX said:

Your defense excels at forcing turnovers, and that's been one of our biggest problems all year long, although we've been better about it the past couple of weeks. And our OL really struggles when going up against a good front seven, so your front seven will likely abuse our OL and thus cause problems for our offense.

If we can limit the mistakes, run the ball a lot and just have an efficient offensive game, then we'll have a chance. Defensively we're a bit inconsistent, and we lost to a backup QB the other week vs. the Broncos, so I won't be surprised if Rudolph has a really solid game.

I think it will be the usual tight Divisional Game. The Browns may just be a solid OL away from being true contenders. Hopefully that never happens. ;)

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, DawgX said:

It should be a close game , I don't expect this team to be the offensive dynamo and divisional games can be close.  I want to see how the Steelers OL contains Garrett and if we can get pressure on Baker. People bash Robinson, but lets se if Dupree can win that matchup.  I am most concerned about Chubb running, he might get the rushing title this year

• Like 1

6 hours ago, 3rivers said:

It should be a close game , I don't expect this team to be the offensive dynamo and divisional games can be close.  I want to see how the Steelers OL contains Garrett and if we can get pressure on Baker. People bash Robinson, but lets se if Dupree can win that matchup.  I am most concerned about Chubb running, he might get the rushing title this year

Yeah, Chubb/Hunt are the Browns key to victory. There is no way we will contain your pass rush, TJ Watt always kills us and he has stepped up his game. Both of our tackles are middling to bad depending on the game and usually they are both closer to bad against the pass.

Browns are better against the pass than the run but we don't get any pressure about 80% of the time so any QB will look great in that scenario. We either stop a run for no gain or they get by the initial line of defense and pick up anywhere from 10 to 75 yards.

Browns are favored by 3 at home so the oddmakers think it is anybody's game. Steelers score a couple more points per game and give up 4 less. Browns get 70 more yards per game and give up 20 more.

The officials are much bigger fans of the Steelers than the Browns so that will probably be a 10 point swing so my guess would be Steelers 17 - Browns 13. There is always a chance the Browns offense finally clicks but that will depend on our offensive line and I doubt that happens. But hey, a man can dream so Browns 31- Steelers 17.

• Like 1

This is a huge game for us, win this and then Cinci and Cleveland at home.But in the past after a huge win we usually come out flat and lay an egg.

Watt and Dupree should give Mayfield fits - browns tackles are awful - need to contain their run game

Cant kick fg's need to score TD's - time for the receivers to step up and play a complete game - no drops, no fumbles - JuJu time to show up and help your QB

Hopefully Connor is back

Our run defense better bring their big boy pants. Cleveland is going to look to smash us in the mouth and they've got a team that can do it. Our run defense has been shaky. Our pass rushers get neutralized if they run it down our throats. I hope Heyward gets them hyped because we're going to need big games from him, Hargrave, Alualu, and Vince. Teams haven't challenged us with the run as much as they should and this is going to be a big test. The Brownies have some legit backs. 

• Like 1