Who you got?  

27 members have voted

1. 1. Who you got?

• Browns
    • Baker Mayfield's Facial Hair
    • The Pittsburgh Defense
    • Kiwibrown
    • Hope

The Browns are holding onto playoff hope by a finger.

61Mc7ZAl58L._SY550_.jpg

The Steelers are somehow achieving mediocrity with 2nd and 3rd string QBs that remind us all of this guy.

Brandon-Weeden-Caught-Under-USA-Flag.gif

Start of the year, everyone was expecting this to be a battle of two quality teams battling for the playoffs. Instead, we get two teams who want to keep being able to use the words "if we make the playoffs" unironically.

Let's hope we get this Baker...

maxresdefault.jpg

And not this Baker...

EIfhNDzWsAA-cU2.png

Browns vs. Steelers, this Thursday. Who you got?

• Like 7

7 hours ago, Mind Character said:

On How Bad the Steelers Offense is from last week's GDT...

Their defense is putting out some special efforts  and is real but you're right it cannot be emphasized enough regarding how absolutely terrible their offense and QB are/have been.

Their Offense ranks between the dreadful Bengals and Bears in Drive Success Rate and they are 28th in DVOA Offensive Efficiency between Buffalo and Chicago,  with only the Bengals, Washington, Miami, Jets after them. https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/teamoff/2019

However, the stats don't tell it all. Qualitatively, watching Rudolph reveals how truly awful he is. Browns fans who haven't watched the Steelers will be shocked probably with how bad he is when they finally see his strange backpedal backpedal backpedal throw he does every time pressure is on. He does this 5 to 6 times a game and it usually ends in disaster.

I've never seen it before outside of Cade McNown back in his rookie year with the Bears and David Carr when he was running for his life. The difference with Rudolph being that although the Steelers Offensive Line isn't good it's not historically terrible like those other guys.

The Steelers also have no running game at all. Jaylen Samuels was a really nice Hybrid Full-Back/H-Back/Gadget-TE coming out of South Carolina; a more talented version of Lawrence Vickers. He's now their primary RB. He's productive in the passing game but in the running game he doesn't see it at all. Even with Connor back he's been hobbled and ineffective.

Their Defense scoring points consistently makes their overall scoring seem like the offense does okay, but honestly 10 points outscores the Steelers Offense. Their defense is real, but honestly there is just no excuse at all to lose to a team with an offense like theirs.

3 hours ago, Mind Character said:

Weighted DVOA Offensive Efficiency (the one that matters) we're 24th and the Steelers are 28th; however, keep a few things in mind. If you and I were in a race and I finished 4th with a time of 1 hours and 10 minutes and you finished 5th with a time of 2 hours and 10 minutes, the fact that you finished one spot behind me doesn't tell the qualitative difference story of how much better my performance was relative to you. One would have to understand beyond the pure ranking; that is, what the numbers mean.

The difference in Weighted value between 24th to 28th is a substantial amount of efficiency falloff; two qualitatively different offenses with the Steelers offense being substantially worse and less efficient.. Also, as is the case in football the opponents an offense goes against matter.

Here's the link: https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/teamoff/2019

3 minutes ago, pnies20 said:

Conner is going to start Thursday.

i feel like this will be a 20-10 type of game. Low scoring. Lots of turnovers. Baker throwing to minkah Fitzpatrick instead of OBJ.

Outside of the Dolphins game Conner has only cracked over 44 yards total in a game 1 time and that was for 55 yards.  Apparently, according to Steelers beat reporters he has been playing bang up all season with a knee and his teammates have commended him for it. 

Returning from shoulder injury, it will be interesting to see how much he changes their offense for the better; however, they were struggling even with him present.

I agree; the team that gets to 20 points wins. Rudolph fumbles at least 2 times and throws 2 interceptions. Baker problem throws 2 and takes some bad sacks because he hasn't be able to read the blitz pre-snap.

Part of me is disappointed that Ben isn't healthy because then I think this would be a true barometer game where our performance on both sides of the ball really would tell us where we are overall as a team. Without Ben, it's still a good test because of their defense. 

I'm excited to see how we perform. Mason Rudolph will keep us in the game until the very end no matter how poorly our offense plays.

If you would have told me before the season that one team was sitting at 5-4 and the other was sitting at 3-6 and that we had beaten the 6-3 Bills and 7-2 Ravens, while losing to the 8-1 49ers, 8-2 Seahawks, and 8-1 Patriots, I think we all would have been pretty happy with that.

I think it's pretty funny how hated Tomlin is considering the job he's done to this point. 5-4 without Ben, AB, and having a dinged up Connor is impressive and their defense has capitalized on turnovers/gotten after the QB.

Baker needs to hold onto the football. We can't afford to turn it over vs. these guys. T.J. Watt vs. Hubbard/Robinson may keep me up at night.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

Baker needs to hold onto the football. We can't afford to turn it over vs. these guys. T.J. Watt vs. Hubbard/Robinson may keep me up at night.

Yeah, with the way Pittsburgh is playing defense, turnovers are a key component in a game like this. I’m not sure how Pittsburgh keeps winning because they look so unimpressive out there and really struggle to move the ball on offense. Forcing key turnovers and turning them into points has won them multiple games this season and that’s basically it. We would be wise to revolve our offense around the running backs and play this one pretty conservatively. Set up timely shots and look for 1 on 1s with OBJ but ground it out. 

• Like 1

I remember most of us thinking that the Steelers trading a first round pick the season for Minka Fitzpatrick was a huge gamble that would blow up in their face. They seemed to be on a path for a 4-12 season and high draft choice. It’s working out all right for them. He’s playing great and is arguably an impact player back there. And that draft choice is looking to be in the teens or 20s at this pace. A bargain really. Frickin Dolphins. 

2 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

If you would have told me before the season that one team was sitting at 5-4 and the other was sitting at 3-6 and that we had beaten the 6-3 Bills and 7-2 Ravens, while losing to the 8-1 49ers, 8-2 Seahawks, and 8-1 Patriots, I think we all would have been pretty happy with that.

I think it's pretty funny how hated Tomlin is considering the job he's done to this point. 5-4 without Ben, AB, and having a dinged up Connor is impressive and their defense has capitalized on turnovers/gotten after the QB.

If you told me that I probably would've been happy...

.... until you then said, "Oh hold on I forgot a few other things ... we'll get blown out by 30 points 43 to 13 in the home owner against Marcus Mariota, you then stink up the joint most of the game against an undermanned Jets team with Darnold out, after that you lose to a declining Rams by self-inflicted wounds, then you'll get your panties pulled off by the 49ers in utter oblivion in front of millions, then you lose to Brandon Allen first start QB led Broncos, and generally the team will lead the league in penalties and look unprepared most games" 

I think none of us would've been happy hearing that though. Buffalo's 6-3 was never real substance anyway and we barely pulled out a win in the last few minutes.

Indeed, I never understood the tribalist hate for Tomlin. He's a heck of a coach and it's okay to acknowledge he's a really good coach and at the same time hope nothing good happens for the Steelers at any point in time.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Mind Character said:

Indeed, I never understood the tribalist hate for Tomlin. He's a heck of a coach and it's okay to acknowledge he's a really good coach and at the same time hope nothing good happens for the Steelers at any point in time.

The Steelers went against the common NFL method of hiring the up-and-coming coordinator and just hired a great leader who the locker room also respects. There is a reason they have had so few coaching changes over the years. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

They’re nearly all “must win” games at this point, but like I said previously in another thread, lose to two backup QB’s in 3 weeks with your playoff hopes on the line and Freddie probably seals his fate.

I don't know man. You're the only person that has me still believing what you're saying is true.

Split with the Steelers, win vs Cards, win vs Dolphins, win vs Bengalsx2, loss vs Ravens.. 8-8 record... I'd be willing to bet the farm that there's no way Dorsey would be willing to acknowledge a coaching hire mistake, the Haslams would be willing to move on, and the public at large including the masses of Browns fans will be willing to support the firing of an first year coach going 8-8. -

There's simply just no way. I mean we're talking about 5 more wins from now. People might hold that belief after losing to Rudolph for maybe the 1st or 2nd win after that, but by the 3rd or 4th win none of that will matter one bit.

Even those that think so now will still do the whole "Well.. he was 8-8 and I don't trust we'll get someone better.. 8-8 is the best record we've had in forever and we could do a lot worse let's give Freddie another chance" type thoughts.

Freddie gets to 8-8, 95% of Browns fans will be all aboard the "He Gets Us" Express.  That's a guarantee.