27 members have voted

1. 1. Who you got?

• Browns
    • Baker Mayfield's Facial Hair
    • The Pittsburgh Defense
    • Kiwibrown
    • Hope

Just now, Mind Character said:

If you told me that I probably would've been happy...

I think anyone with common sense would have looked at our first 9 games and said "5-4 seems realistic".

.... until you then said, "Oh hold on I forgot a few other things ... we'll get blown out by 30 points 43 to 13 in the home owner against Marcus Mariota,

The Titans are one of those "Rasputin" NFL teams. They perennially are on the brink of a wildcard, are currently sitting at 5-5, and will undoubtedly finish somewhere between 7-9 or 10-6. They have a good defense and running game, and are therefore capable of beating anyone or losing to anyone on any given day. The score was worse than the game as a whole IMO. Baker's turnovers in that game were more indicative of an astronomical amount of penalties throughout the game and inability/unwillingness to establish the running game early and often.

you then stink up the joint most of the game against an undermanned Jets team with Darnold out,

Yes, but at the same point, the Jets defense Week 2 was solid and we were playing against our former HC/veteran DC who drew up a fantastic gameplan against his former 2nd year QB.

after that you lose to a declining Rams by self-inflicted wounds,

That game was extremely frustrating. Our defense was essentially nothing but backups and our Red Zone woes started to rear their ugly heads sending a message for the rest of the season up until this point at least.

then you'll get your panties pulled off by the 49ers in utter oblivion in front of millions,

This is when I started to bail on the 2019 Browns. Truly pathetic/embarrassing. That said, the stretch of us playing the 49ers with them coming off of a bye, getting Seattle on a short week with them having 10 days, and us getting New England coming off of our own bye and then going TO mile high for a 2nd straight year????? What are you doing NFL????

then you lose to Brandon Allen first start QB led Broncos,

Don't even get me started. I wasn't surprised we lost at mile high, and the Broncos are about 4 plays away from having a winning record. The Brandon Allen part was obviously the worst, but the rest wasn't surprising to me.

and generally the team will lead the league in penalties and look unprepared most games" 

And yet if we could have just found a way to beat EITHER the Seahawks OR the Rams, if not both, this season's outlook is drastically different up until this point.

I think none of us would've been happy hearing that though. Buffalo's 6-3 was never real substance anyway and we barely pulled out a win in the last few minutes.

I think that Buffalo has one of the best defenses in the NFL coupled with one of the worst offenses in the NFL. They are a poor man's Tennessee on offense and a rich man's Tennessee on defense. They don't have a good running game and their QB play is subpar. 

Indeed, I never understood the tribalist hate for Tomlin. He's a heck of a coach and it's okay to acknowledge he's a really good coach and at the same time hope nothing good happens for the Steelers at any point in time.

Mike Tomlin preaches accountability, being a professional, and not making excuses, and it starts with him. He owns his mistakes/shortcomings and is the first to stand up and answer every question the media has with honesty and truth, and it's apparent that his players buy into what he does. We all now know just how much of a net negative AB is/was over the past several seasons, and now that he's gone, you can truly see/appreciate how well coached and prepared they are week in and week out.

IMO if you swap Kitchens and Tomlin, the records and makeup of these teams are exactly reversed, if not us sitting at 6-3 or so.

30 minutes ago, Mind Character said:

I don't know man. You're the only person that has me still believing what you're saying is true.

Split with the Steelers, win vs Cards, win vs Dolphins, win vs Bengalsx2, loss vs Ravens.. 8-8 record... I'd be willing to bet the farm that there's no way Dorsey would be willing to acknowledge a coaching hire mistake, the Haslams would be willing to move on, and the public at large including the masses of Browns fans will be willing to support the firing of an first year coach going 8-8. -

There's simply just no way. I mean we're talking about 5 more wins from now. People might hold that belief after losing to Rudolph for maybe the 1st or 2nd win after that, but by the 3rd or 4th win none of that will matter one bit.

Even those that think so now will still do the whole "Well.. he was 8-8 and I don't trust we'll get someone better.. 8-8 is the best record we've had in forever and we could do a lot worse let's give Freddie another chance" type thoughts.

Freddie gets to 8-8, 95% of Browns fans will be all aboard the "He Gets Us" Express.  That's a guarantee.

You’re not wrong, but I guess I feel like if we don’t win this one at home, I’m not sure why we’re a “lock” to win 5 more?

The Steelers have a great locker room, a great coach and a lot of great veteran talent, but they have no business going on the road on a short week and beating us.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

And to be clear, I don’t fire him either if we get to 8-8.

It’s not what I would have hoped, but it’s 2 games off where I thought we’d be at 10-6.

With a second year QB and a rookie HC, new staff/defense/etc., I can’t be tooooo pissed.

The sad thing about it is we've been beaten to a pulp and abused by a recent 20 years of utter insane incompetence to the point where it seems crazy to even think about firing a 8-8 coach even if we are consciously witnessing and acknowledging various troubling signs that get in the way of sustained success.

It's unclear for sure but interesting to ask questions like: 1.) Given the same schedule and circumstances, how many Head Coaches in the league currently would at least get 8-8 out of this team, or how many would get many more? 2.) To what extent is the talent on the team masking coaching failures and/or potential long-term coaching issues?

It's just hard because now at the outset of building a new house with a ton of shiny top of the line tools none of us want to look back in 3 years and say "damn we all kind of knew we hired the wrong builder.. this house is messed up .. man I wish we just would've fired that guy and hired a new one."

Freddie can get better and let's hope he does..

Edited by Mind Character

If we happen to go 8-8 (or better) this year, I retain Freddie, give him another offseason/season, and "strongly encourage him" (subtle mandate) to get a QB guy for Baker and revamped OC that utilizes more of the power run/play-action aspects of what we do that helps with tempo, getting plays in on time, and utilizing more motion concepts to help Baker identify defenses.

Also, to be blunt, one of the reasons that we struggle in the Red Zone so much is that Baker CLEARLY isn't ready to operate from under center, making our run/pass concepts super easy for defenses to identify, which also vastly shrinks the playbook. How many "slant RPO" variations and "inside zone" variations are there inside the 10? It's frustrating.

Well if Kitchens wins this one is highly doubtful he gets fired.

The last time we faced a division foe was the first time our guys really played hard. They come into this one after putting forth that same kind of effort vs the Bills.

When the offense complements the defense there is a great chance to win even if only scoring fgs.

It'd be nice for us not to have any to's this game but the Steelers defense is legit. So we need Chubb to keep being a monster and Hunt to do the same thing.

Also could use a to of our own. Myles, ward, greedy, scho or wilson are all about due. Keep playing smart though on the screens.

11 minutes ago, Reginaldm9 said:

I haven't watched a single Pittsburgh game this season, but if Mason Rudolph outduels Baker then we've got gigantic issues. 

Would you really be that surprised tho? Steelers have better coaching and have put their QB in ideal situations a majority of the time with their offense. We won despite of our coaching last week. Steelers are winning because of their coaching

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, buno67 said:

Would you really be that surprised tho? Steelers have better coaching and have put their QB in ideal situations a majority of the time with their offense. We won despite of our coaching last week. Steelers are winning because of their coaching

You put getting stopped 7 consecutive plays on the one yard line on coaching?

And you used to play OL??

Slow that rush down with PA, teams have had success with that all year. Should be able to find some rush lanes if going N/S. We'll see how the refs are as well...

A big unknown is OBJ's impact. Pit faced indy without Hilton, LA w/o Cooks, and have traditionally given up big games to top WR's.

1 hour ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

You put getting stopped 7 consecutive plays on the one yard line on coaching?

And you used to play OL??

I agree to an extent. The OL didn't help, but that play calling was clunky. You don't run toss sweep on the 1 yard line. You're asking for a S or a LB to shoot a gap and create a negative play. You run the freaking football up the middle 4x in that situation.