Is Lamar Jackson already better than Atlanta Vick ever was?

RandyMossIsBoss

I watched every single game Micheal Vick played for the Falcons. Trust me, he's not even remotely close to Lamar's level. Micheal Vick showed you some flash and for a couple of possessions every game, he would do something amazing and special. And then for the rest of the game, he would be awful. He just wasn't consistent enough.

A lot of people get starry-eyed at Vick's highlight reels (and those highlight reels are very pretty, for what that's worth), but some of y'all need to go back and watch full games of Vick as a Falcon. It was not nearly as pretty as you remember.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Hukos said:

I watched every single game Micheal Vick played for the Falcons. Trust me, he's not even remotely close to Lamar's level. Micheal Vick showed you some flash and for a couple of possessions every game, he would do something amazing and special. And then for the rest of the game, he would be awful. He just wasn't consistent enough.

A lot of people get starry-eyed at Vick's highlight reels (and those highlight reels are very pretty, for what that's worth), but some of y'all need to go back and watch full games of Vick as a Falcon. It was not nearly as pretty as you remember.

We just saw the best of Jackson, he did really well with that gimmick offense but it is what it is, gimmick, he will never beat a team as a normal QB sitting in the pocket. You all mistake being good in a gimmick offense confused with being able to excel under Andy Reid, you can't plug Lamar Jackson into a conventional offense and expect the same results because you will fail miserably (Funny how you omit his time with the Eagles)

Secondly, Vick routinely made throws DOWN THE FIELD, that throw Jackson made down the sideline was a pathetic duck that Brown bailed him out with a spectacular catch and struggled trying to throw simple 10-12 yard outs accurately and seems to only be able to lollypop drags to Andrews

Not to mention Vick has two more playoff wins than Jackson has, even Vick with the Falcons has at least one

I think that they are probably pretty comparible at this point. I still believe that Vick is more dynamic as an athletic, but his offense really held him back in that regard. Jackson is definitely a more accurate passer. Vick had a much better deep ball. Just like Vick, I'm pretty sure that he'll see a pretty early career peak from Jackson. He should be pretty good for the next 5-7 years, but I wouldn't want anything to do with him by then. I also would expect some regression next year. The league will spend a bunch of time figuring out a way to slow him down. And based on the laws of physics/economics...he has to regress just because this year as so good.

But this is a win now type of league, and Jackson should keep the Ravens as contenders over that time frame. 

3 hours ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

Secondly, Vick routinely made throws DOWN THE FIELD, that throw Jackson made down the sideline was a pathetic duck that Brown bailed him out with a spectacular catch and struggled trying to throw simple 10-12 yard outs accurately and seems to only be able to lollypop drags to Andrews

Those down the field throws were usually over someone's head. The most damning indictment on Vick was that Roddy White looked horrible in Atlanta while Vick was throwing to him. A rookie Matt Ryan made Roddy White look a million times better as a WR.

I will give you that our coaching staff was run by a bunch of idiots in those years. However, Mike Smith was also objectively not a good head coach and got much better results of the broken pieces of the 04-07 era Falcons, at least what remained of those teams.

As an Eagle, Vick was 10000000x better than he ever was in Atlanta. I think some people are transposing Vick's 2010 season onto his Atlanta years, but those eras never really meshed up. And if you think I'm being harsh on him, I was really happy for Vick to find success and I was glad he was able to redeem himself. I just don't think he was ever a good QB in ATL.

Edited by Hukos
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Hukos said:

Those down the field throws were usually over someone's head. The most damning indictment on Vick was that Roddy White looked horrible in Atlanta while Vick was throwing to him. A rookie Matt Ryan made Roddy White look a million times better as a WR

And conversely, he made Micheal Jenkins,  Brian Finneran, and Alge Crumpler look good so....

Forgive me but I don't recall Jenkins ever looking like anything other than a wasted draft pick. Jenkins was always a JAG. Finneran was kind of okay but he was really overrated by the fanbase in those years. Crumpler was about the only reliable Vick target in those years. We know that Roddy White was a top 5/10 WR until about 2012 where his body started to break down, so Vick's inability to get on the same page as Roddy is very curious.

• Like 1

We just saw the best of Jackson, he did really well with that gimmick offense but it is what it is, gimmick, he will never beat a team as a normal QB sitting in the pocket. You all mistake being good in a gimmick offense confused with being able to excel under Andy Reid, you can't plug Lamar Jackson into a conventional offense and expect the same results because you will fail miserably (Funny how you omit his time with the Eagles)

What is gimmicky about RPOs and zone-reads? They’ve been around for a while, they’re not new or innovative. Might argue they’re not sustainable for a playoff run but I don’t think you can flip the script and find an offense that is 100% playoff-proven.

Lamar struggled throwing outside-intermediate but LOL Vick was not a great downfield passer. He had a rocket but his accuracy, everywhere on the field, was never remotely consistent. 

Not to mention Vick has two more playoff wins than Jackson has, even Vick with the Falcons has at least one

Peyton Manning didn’t win a playoff game until his 6th season, going 0-3 prior to that. Joe Flacco has a better playoff record than Drew Brees. Yeah, gonna go ahead and say two playoff performances make a player does not.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Yin-Yang said:

Peyton Manning didn’t win a playoff game until his 6th season, going 0-3 prior to that. Joe Flacco has a better playoff record than Drew Brees. Yeah, gonna go ahead and say two playoff performances make a player does not.

One of Vick's playoff wins is against an 8-8 Rams team that had no business even being in the playoffs. Granted, he absolutely destroyed them (as he should). The playoff win against Green Bay on the road was legitimately impressive, but you can also argue that game is just as much about Brett Favre being terrible in that game.

8 hours ago, Hukos said:

One of Vick's playoff wins is against an 8-8 Rams team that had no business even being in the playoffs. Granted, he absolutely destroyed them (as he should). The playoff win against Green Bay on the road was legitimately impressive, but you can also argue that game is just as much about Brett Favre being terrible in that game.

And that's more than what Jackson has

12 hours ago, sammymvpknight said:

I think that they are probably pretty comparible at this point. I still believe that Vick is more dynamic as an athletic, but his offense really held him back in that regard. Jackson is definitely a more accurate passer. Vick had a much better deep ball. Just like Vick, I'm pretty sure that he'll see a pretty early career peak from Jackson. He should be pretty good for the next 5-7 years, but I wouldn't want anything to do with him by then. I also would expect some regression next year. The league will spend a bunch of time figuring out a way to slow him down. And based on the laws of physics/economics...he has to regress just because this year as so good.

But this is a win now type of league, and Jackson should keep the Ravens as contenders over that time frame. 

And if he doesn’t brother? Wht then? Huh. What then BROTHER. 

47 minutes ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

And that's more than what Jackson has

Are we going back to the "wins are a QB stat" thing again? Vick's two playoff victories (in a terrible and weak NFC) didn't even amount to anything other than getting bounced by the Eagles in complete blowout games. But go off.

• Like 3

On 1/14/2020 at 12:18 AM, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

bruh he just turned 23....this was his first full year starting! He's about to win MVP. He just broke numerous NFL records, including Vick's!

The "he's never won a playoff game" is what they'll parrot this entire offseason just like they parroted "he can't throw" all last offseason - better get used to it lol not worth even arguing it tbh

• Like 1

On 1/14/2020 at 12:18 AM, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

bruh he just turned 23....this was his first full year starting! He's about to win MVP. He just broke numerous NFL records, including Vick's!

QBs don't even truly mature as passers until they hit 27/28. Jackson has plenty of time for that. Plus, based on everything I've heard Jackson say, I think he would love nothing better than to throw for 50 TDs/5000 yards in a season to prove people wrong.

Hindsight is 20/20, but Vick never really seemed to have that desire (when he was in Atlanta of course, I'm sure he feels differently now) that Jackson does.

• Like 2