Is Lamar Jackson already better than Atlanta Vick ever was?

RandyMossIsBoss

Vick's career is a tale of 2 halves, pre and post prison, Atlanta and Philly. I am asking about Atlanta Vick here since that was a fundamentally different QB than Vick w/ the Eagles, and one much more comparable to Lamar Jackson, an absolute electric factory whenever he touched the ball but still fairly raw as passers and nowhere near their peak. In Philly, I would guess due to a combination of being a tad slower and more fragile along with Reid as coach, scrambling was last resort, he tried to play the part of pocket QB.

His best year in Atlanta is probably 2006 (although the 04-06 Vick is essentially same player statistically). So let's look at that.

Now Lamar has him beat in both passing and rushing volume, a little less than 100 more Y/G in offense. Vick boasted a higher Y/C as a runner, but fumbled more. Now the passing efficiency gap isn't quite as extreme as raw number suggest, but it's still a pretty big gap. Vick has an era adjusted 93 in PFR's passer rating index (100 average for time) for 2006 (peaked at 97 in 04) vs Lamar's 112 in '19 (92 in '18). 

I have a feeling Lamar will run away with this, I mean the #s paint a pretty clear picture and they're both pretty equal as far as athleticism goes... but I'm interested to hear from those who were following the NFL to witness the Vick experience live and what they think. Is Lamar simply a new and improved version by every measure?

• Like 1

I read today that Lamar Jackson has a higher QB rating over his first 16 games than Tom Brady, and has more rushing yards that Ladanian Tomlinson had over his first 16 games. 

That's beyond rare. From a statistical perspective, Jackson is clearly further than Vick - pre-prison and post-prison.

• Like 9

6 minutes ago, ET80 said:

I read today that Lamar Jackson has a higher QB rating over his first 16 games than Tom Brady, and has more rushing yards that Ladanian Tomlinson had over his first 16 games. 

That's beyond rare. From a statistical perspective, Jackson is clearly further than Vick - pre-prison and post-prison.

I don't even know if post-prison Vick is necessarily better than pre when you consider 2010 is just a pure anomaly and truly the result of teams having no answer IMO. Obviously became a slightly more refined passer in a better system, and while he remained the NFL's premier running QB, he was nowhere near as dangerous as he was in ATL.

I saw that, and while I usually don't like such cherry picked stats, the more rushing yards than LT is pretty ridiculous when thrown in with the passing numbers.

• Like 1

it sure seems like it. i want to ask this though, because i genuinely don't know- i was just about old enough during vick's ATL prime to appreciate it, but way too young to comprehend anything about offensive systems or whatever. did the falcons scheme around vick like the ravens have done so successfully with lamar? i would guess that they didn't just based on what NFL offenses were back in the day.