Is Lamar Jackson already better than Atlanta Vick ever was?

RandyMossIsBoss

2 hours ago, JustAnotherFan said:

Lamar has been in the league for 2 years and has had 1 terrible rookie year and 1 good year.......and this thread has gone on for 18 pages, why?!

Jesus christ, this is a perfect example of FF's constant short-term memory and recency bias. Some of you just cannot wait to anoint the next best thing, can you?  

say what? lol

Edited by AFlaccoSeagulls
  • Like 1

On 1/26/2020 at 3:53 AM, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

say what? lol

He looked awful in his rookie his year. Playing in less ideal circumstances or not, he looked awful. 

The point is, all it takes is for one good year (or even 1 game in some cases) to convinced people on this forum that a player is the next best thing. The case with Jackson is no different.

Edited by JustAnotherFan

2 hours ago, JustAnotherFan said:

The point is, all it takes is for one good year (or even 1 game in some cases) to convinced people on this forum that a player is the next best thing. The case with Jackson is no different.

I would say winning MVP in your second year in the league probably constitutes more than a “good year”, no? I imagine that’s a strong correlation with some success, at least. 

Also, saying Lamar>Vick does not equal being the next big thing. Patrick Mahomes is the next big thing. Vick was almost always a great athlete but mediocre quarterback.

5 hours ago, Yin-Yang said:

I would say winning MVP in your second year in the league probably constitutes more than a “good year”, no? I imagine that’s a strong correlation with some success, at least. 

Also, saying Lamar>Vick does not equal being the next big thing. Patrick Mahomes is the next big thing. Vick was almost always a great athlete but mediocre quarterback.

So what differentiates Lamar Jackson from him? You basically just described Lamar Jackson

9 hours ago, JustAnotherFan said:

He looked awful in his rookie his year. Playing in less ideal circumstances or not, he looked awful. 

He was really good and did what he was asked to do. No he didn't have the passing stats that box score scouts like you base your opinion on - or we could say that if you focus on one thing he didn't do well, then a lot if not every single QB in the league is awful.

If you refer to the playoff game, which was really bad - especially the oline that destroyed the Ravens opportunity to do anything, then you are focusing on one single game of Lamars career so far.

Huh. Interesting. I wonder how the Ravens turned their season around and went to the playoffs with an awful QB.

Huh. Interesting. Today I learned that a "good" year is winning MVP, breaking Michael Vick's rushing record and leading the NFL in touchdown passes while winning 14 games. I'm willing to bet a significant amount of money that if any other QB in the NFL had that kind of year, you wouldn't be calling it 'good'.

4 hours ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

So what differentiates Lamar Jackson from him? You basically just described Lamar Jackson

Virtually every stat available and every advanced grading site disagrees with you. Hell, I could lean on stats if I wanted to. 

Go through every category of Vick’s career, take the best, and put it all in one - and you still have an inferior season to Jackson’s. As a passer and a runner (though I wouldn’t say Lamar has an advantage as a runner, if any at all). Whether or not Lamar shows this ability throughout his career remains to be seen, but he was a good passer this year.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Yin-Yang said:

Virtually every stat available and every advanced grading site disagrees with you. Hell, I could lean on stats if I wanted to. 

Go through every category of Vick’s career, take the best, and put it all in one - and you still have an inferior season to Jackson’s. As a passer and a runner (though I wouldn’t say Lamar has an advantage as a runner, if any at all). Whether or not Lamar shows this ability throughout his career remains to be seen, but he was a good passer this year.

Come on bro, we should be past the "stats" argument. To be quite honest, you can make the argument that Greg Roman Is just as responsible for Jackson's success as he is. Vick didn't have the same luxury until he got to Philadelphia, as a matter of fact, if you put Vick with Baltimore offense it would be even more dynamic because of Vick’s ability to attack defenses vertically, which Jackson can't.

29 minutes ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

Come on bro, we should be past the "stats" argument.

Seems convenient since Vick doesn’t come close in most stats. Stats aren’t all that matter but there’s a big gap, that counts for something. 

To be quite honest, you can make the argument that Greg Roman Is just as responsible for Jackson's success as he is.

There’s no argument that he’s equally as responsible. He played a big part, but equal share? 

Vick didn't have the same luxury until he got to Philadelphia, as a matter of fact, if you put Vick with Baltimore offense it would be even more dynamic because of Vick’s ability to attack defenses vertically, which Jackson can't.

Lamar can sling it. He struggled throwing ropes intermediate, outside. Vick could hit those with his cannon...when he wasn’t sailing it over a receiver’s head. The guy just wasn’t accurate. Even in his best season with Reid, his accuracy was barely reliable. 

I don’t buy these “if” arguments. They’re 100% unprovable. You believe Vick is some sort of good passer? 

Browns fans after 2018: Baker Mayfield is a future MVP and Lamar can’t throw a football.

Yeah, anyone who isn’t a Ravens fan and used to that CLE fan base’s derangement when it comes to Lamar: it’s honestly not worth arguing with them. 

They stuck their stake in the “Baker = God Lamar = Bum” hill all last year, so now they’ll do any contorting of any argument involving Lamar to try and not look as ridiculously wrong as they all were about him - and Baker, as it stands right now - all last offseason when they were beating their chests.

cc: @Yin-Yang

4 hours ago, Ray Reed said:

Browns fans after 2018: Baker Mayfield is a future MVP and Lamar can’t throw a football.

Yeah, anyone who isn’t a Ravens fan and used to that CLE fan base’s derangement when it comes to Lamar: it’s honestly not worth arguing with them. 

They stuck their stake in the “Baker = God Lamar = Bum” hill all last year, so now they’ll do any contorting of any argument involving Lamar to try and not look as ridiculously wrong as they all were about him - and Baker, as it stands right now - all last offseason when they were beating their chests.

cc: @Yin-Yang

Then there are those like myself who actually wait for more than 1 year from ANY QB before beating my chest about any of them.

If Jackson falls back down to earth next season then you guys are going to be in the same boat as those CLE fans, and I hope you all keep the same energy. 

12 hours ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:
22 hours ago, JustAnotherFan said:

Huh. Interesting. I wonder how the Ravens turned their season around and went to the playoffs with an awful QB.

The same way we have seen two dozen other QB's make it to the playoffs. But I'm sure having a top 3 defense had nothing to do with that....it was all because of LJ. GTFO.

Example. What was your opinion of Mitch last year? Point made.

12 hours ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Huh. Interesting. Today I learned that a "good" year is winning MVP, breaking Michael Vick's rushing record and leading the NFL in touchdown passes while winning 14 games. I'm willing to bet a significant amount of money that if any other QB in the NFL had that kind of year, you wouldn't be calling it 'good'.

Wrong again. And all you had to do was read my post without the glasses on and expecting everyone to gravel at your Jesus Lamar to figure this out.