Jordan Thomas activated off of IR

ET80

I was a big fan of Thomas last year too (Watson also seemed to have a good connection with Thomas last year.) and was expecting big things from him this year. Fells basically has just replaced what Thomas was doing last year, so I wonder where he would fit in the offense now.

• Like 1

On 11/12/2019 at 8:16 PM, Pastor Dillon said:

Thomas needs to learn from fells. They have similar skill set and fells is 10 years younger. Him and Warring are probably the future so hopefully he can grow and learn this year. 

Agreed.  One of the reasons I was so high on Fells this season was that I have long felt one of the missing links in O'Brien's offense, or better said Devlin's line, was a true blocking TE to slow the pass rush and help the outside the tackles run game.  Tackle play has obviously been improved, but the impact of Fells pitching in can't be understated.  His impact on the passing game particularly in the red zone is a massive bonus, but considering the attention Hopkins will always draw, TE's are going to always have favorable LB matchups in this offense.  There are only so many bodies to go around on defense and if the defense spies Watson (as they should) TE's should be drawing either run stopping LBs or undersized safeties.

As for Thomas, there is no excuse for a guy that is 6'6" 278 to still play like he's a big WR.  The dude needs to add technique and a mean streak to his obvious physical advantages as a blocker as he's a mismatch nightmare as a receiver with his size and hands.  Personally, I'd like to see us use far more 2 and 3 TE packages than we do as we still don't get squat out of the slot aside from the seemingly pointless fake jet sweep every other play.

I don't see any reason to introduce Warring into the equation at this point as Akins is solid in the move TE role and we know BOb isn't going to get a rookie involved at this point, especially one as raw as the water polo player.  I wasn't big on the pick at the time as I was excited about what Fells and Adams brought to the table as blockers to go with Akins and Thomas in the passing game.  We had far bigger depth needs in the secondary, o-line, RB, and Dline that should have been addressed that early, but I guess he fit a best player available model. I'm skeptical whenever player comps are used as every big guy is hyped as the next Gronk and every fast guy as Kelce, but the reality is more often Maxx Williams and Tyler Eifert.  I'm all for Warring getting a shot next year or perhaps we can move one of them to get a 3rd or 4th rounder (New England, Miami, Dallas, Buffalo, Carolina, Pittsburgh, Chicago).  

Edited by Apollo Stallion