This Aint Packers Talk v69

CWood21

2 hours ago, Greg C. said:

Holy crap, did anyone see Serena Williams' meltdown in the U.S. Open final? I think she deserved exactly what she got. Earlier in the match, I was telling my wife that Serena never chokes, but I had forgotten how she can react when her ego is threatened. It was a shame to see her ruin the match for Naomi Osaka, who was outplaying Serena when it all went down. It was a lot like the time a few years ago when Serena told that official, "If I could, I would taking this ----ing ball and shove it down your ----ing throat!" This time there was a lot of pointing and yelling at the chair umpire and calling him a "thief" for penalizing her a point for two violations (being coached during the match and smashing her racquet). Then she got penalized a whole game. She even played the "mom" card ("I have a daughter...") and the woman card (claiming that this never happens to male players). It was embarrassing to watch. 

I don't know why the "thief" comment is the one that's being discussed and not her threatening the umpire with, "You'll never be on a court with me again,". That's a legitimate *** threat considering her position in the sport.

But yeah, what a **** show for her and the sport. I didn't really have an opinion on Serena other than residual irritation for her fans feeling the need to interject into every Federer conversation to remind everyone "who the real GOAT in tennis is". She came off like a super entitled lunatic there. Especially to take away from Osaka's moment like that.

Even more confusing, everybody acting like she's some saint for asking the fans to stop booing Osaka on the podium. Like, you don't get points for fixing a mistake that you caused. They're booing because of the reffing that was your fault. 

How does that make sense?

47 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

I don't know why the "thief" comment is the one that's being discussed and not her threatening the umpire with, "You'll never be on a court with me again,". That's a legitimate *** threat considering her position in the sport.

But yeah, what a **** show for her and the sport. I didn't really have an opinion on Serena other than residual irritation for her fans feeling the need to interject into every Federer conversation to remind everyone "who the real GOAT in tennis is". She came off like a super entitled lunatic there. Especially to take away from Osaka's moment like that.

Even more confusing, everybody acting like she's some saint for asking the fans to stop booing Osaka on the podium. Like, you don't get points for fixing a mistake that you caused. They're booing because of the reffing that was your fault. 

How does that make sense?

I agree that the "You'll never be on a court with me again" comment was probably the worst, plus there was all of the yelling and pointing. It went on for a couple of minutes. Asking the umpire to apologize after the first warning was just plain ridiculous and showed how out of touch with reality she is. I was relieved when she told the fans to stop booing afterwards, but yes, the damage was done, and it doesn't make up for the behavior that made it necessary for her to say that. 

2 hours ago, snackattack said:

Just watched the finale of hard knocks. Though elliot came off a little prickish. That is all.

I thought he looked kinda unnatural, as if he was out of his element, which is weird because he's been around NFL offices for decades. Maybe it was just the cameras making him nervous.

5 hours ago, Packer_ESP said:

I thought he looked kinda unnatural, as if he was out of his element, which is weird because he's been around NFL offices for decades. Maybe it was just the cameras making him nervous.

I was surprised he was the guy making "the Turk" bring in your playbook calls. More often thats seems to be relegated to some low level assistant.
Maybe they were shopping him for a possible trade.

It wasnt one of Williams finer moments and she's had plenty of those.

She's a STUD in professional tennis. Of historical significance. Has been for years. Reason yesterdays outbursts are so noteworthy - they're entirely out of character with her history and social media (the "outrage machine") exists.

McEnroe, Nasty, Connors....and on down a long list....any number of tennis players have had similar outbursts. Not in exact verbiage - but in temperament, outrage and declarative statements.

It was somewhat embarrassing - but thats because of her career standing - both on and off the court. It was out of character for her - but consistent with some past player outbursts. She's a historic figure in the game. Yesterdays bump in the road.....was a bad day all around. I've not made the rounds....but I suspects todays news will include an apology of some sort. 

Edited by Leader

22 minutes ago, Packer_ESP said:

Considering some people are giving her kudos for standing up for women's rights, I doubt it.

I've not read that but I suspect its just social media blabbering or the infamous "clickbait" that so many around here are sensitive to. 

Her career's been marked by class, success and achievement.

She had a bad day. It happens. I dont think it characterizes her as either a player or a person.

Edited by Leader
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, Leader said:

I've not read that but I suspect its just social media blabbering or the infamous "clickbait" that so many around here are sensitive to. 

Her career's been marked by class, success and achievement.

She had a bad day. It happens. I dont think it characterizes her as either a player or a person.

In response to a linked article (on another football site you frequented in the past), about bad-boys in the nfl, here was my response to that .

"So the NFL has bad boys in it. I'm just shocked.   

I never understood this sports-star hero worship thing, and how fans that indulged in these things were so shocked, when their hero fell from grace. Certainly when I was young, say from 5-20, while I appreciated good players, I never 'worshipped' anyone. Footballers shouldn't be stuck on a pedestal and looked up to, as though they were shining beacons of righteousness. Love them as a player - ok, but don't project onto them or expect, outstanding moral behaviour. They are just people, with the failings of people (and considering the tough background of many players, they may have more failings than the average Joe on the street).

You can love Favre on the field and hate the things that he did at the end of his career, seperating the player on the field from the inner recesses of his character. As with Favre, so with all the other players. If they are a wonderful person off the field, that's a bonus, if they are not, it's up to you whether you love them, hate them, or just ignore their failings. Players contain all the good things and all the bad things within them in different measure......in short, 'it is what it is'."

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Leader said:

It wasnt one of Williams finer moments and she's had plenty of those.

She's a STUD in professional tennis. Of historical significance. Has been for years. Reason yesterdays outbursts are so noteworthy - they're entirely out of character with her history and social media (the "outrage machine") exists.

McEnroe, Nasty, Connors....and on down a long list....any number of tennis players have had similar outbursts. Not in exact verbiage - but in temperament, outrage and declarative statements.

It was somewhat embarrassing - but thats because of her career standing - both on and off the court. It was out of character for her - but consistent with some past player outbursts. She's a historic figure in the game. Yesterdays bump in the road.....was a bad day all around. I've not made the rounds....but I suspects todays news will include an apology of some sort. 

Why the hell are people saying this is out of character? This is her third major incident at the US Open. She had a major blow up resulting in fines and penalties in both 2009 and 2011.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/serena-williams-oops-she-did-it-again/

Also her bringing up her daughter in the middle of a lie, as well as playing the sexist card are both in line with what she's done as far as social issues.

She's a spoiled diva. The greatest woman's tennis player of all time for sure, but she's not a saint and the way people bend over backwards to say she is, is disappointing but not altogether shocking for a lot of that demographic.

Edited by AlexGreen#20

23 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

She's a spoiled diva. The greatest woman's tennis player of all time for sure, but she's not a saint and the way people bend over backwards to say she is, is disappointing but not altogether shocking for a lot of that demographic.

LOL. Interesting how people run to generalizations and characterizations to describe a situation - without really saying anything. Put some meat on that bone. Lets hear your "demographic analysis" and how it pertains to viewing this woman's career achievements.

I didn't watch it, but from reading about it I don't even care if she had previous similar incidents. One time doing that is enough for me to form an opinion on her character. Either someone has the capability of doing that or they do not.

She obviously does, and that tells us a lot about her.

27 minutes ago, Leader said:

LOL. Interesting how people run to generalizations and characterizations to describe a situation - without really saying anything. Put some meat on that bone. Lets hear your "demographic analysis" and how it pertains to viewing this woman's career achievements.

The new "Woke" media carries water for Serena in a way that I haven't seen the media do for any athlete since John Madden and the old boys were doing for Favre. Read Deadspin's article on this situation: https://deadspin.com/sensitive-ref-pushes-serena-williams-to-meltdown-and-ru-1828912450

What does CNN have to say: https://www.cnn.com/2018/09/09/us/serena-williams-sexism-tennis-controversy/index.html

Are you kidding me? Not even going to push an update saying that her coach admitted to coaching? The journalism standards are embarrassing. 

Serena should be on blast right now by the entire media, and I'll even say that the coaching violation is almost never called. Just for the "I demand to speak to your manager routine" she should be getting blasted. 

She ruined what was probably the best night of Osaka's life because she was embarrassed she was getting her *** kicked. It's not a coincidence this happened while she was getting dominated. She pulled the same stunt in 2009 when she was about to lose to Kim Clijsters: Down 6-5 in the second set after losing the first set. Or again in 2011 while down in the second set after losing the first set. 

Edited by AlexGreen#20
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

I didn't watch it, but from reading about it I don't even care if she had previous similar incidents. One time doing that is enough for me to form an opinion on her character. Either someone has the capability of doing that or they do not. She obviously does, and that tells us a lot about her.

You using the plural or singular sense? Did you (and the others you reference) come to similar conclusions about other men (and other women) when the had similar outbursts?

Note - I'm not challenging or trying to change your opinion. You're entitled and its really of no consequence to me - but I am interested if you apply a consist brush to all such incidents and the players that have/cause them.