This Aint Packers Talk v69

CWood21

26 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

I also watched The Staircase.  IF that really was how the prosecution presented the case, I don't think Peterson should have spent any time in jail.  I do believe that he did it though.  

Is this the Scott Peterson case? Yeah he's guilty as sin too. There was waaayyyy more than enough circumstantial evidence to find him guilty too.

That's another case I dug into at one point.

16 hours ago, incognito_man said:

They unfortunately completely screwed up that interrogation. Should have been smarter. Brendan was obviously involved in the rape and murder so it's unfortunate the state didn't get a clean conviction.

It's also a shame the docu-drama is so one-sided and worse, so dishonest. One need only have watched the first season to understand nothing can be taken seriously that comes from that show. It's useful only for perhaps pointing to actually useful documents. Like an badly opinionated Wikipedia page with some useful links :)

It's in my DNA to be skeptical, to question everything - it's why I work at a national science laboratory in the DOE complex.  Therefore, I've been equally as critical (and skeptical) of the show and the State in their case against both Avery and Dassey.  I have my own theories about these cases, informed by many different sources.  I'm not happy that this show casts such a negative light on my home state, but crime is rarely an exotic walk down the finer streets of society, and in this case, we get to see some of Wisconsin's finest (that was sarcasm), both it's citizenry and its institutions.  That's not the Wisconsin I want the broader public to form an opinion of.

54 minutes ago, Sasquatch said:

It's in my DNA to be skeptical, to question everything - it's why I work at a national science laboratory in the DOE complex.  Therefore, I've been equally as critical (and skeptical) of the show and the State in their case against both Avery and Dassey.  I have my own theories about these cases, informed by many different sources.  I'm not happy that this show casts such a negative light on my home state, but crime is rarely an exotic walk down the finer streets of society, and in this case, we get to see some of Wisconsin's finest (that was sarcasm), both it's citizenry and its institutions.  That's not the Wisconsin I want the broader public to form an opinion of.

It's rough too because that part of the state (Manitowoc, two Rivers, mishicot, Sheboygan a bit) has a VERY strong and unique yooperish accent that admittedly sounds dumb on tv, too.

It's kinda crazy how that accent is so localized there. I grew up like an hour away and it's just simply not there. ?

29 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

It's rough too because that part of the state (Manitowoc, two Rivers, mishicot, Sheboygan a bit) has a VERY strong and unique yooperish accent that admittedly sounds dumb on tv, too.

It's kinda crazy how that accent is so localized there. I grew up like an hour away and it's just simply not there. ?

Yeah, my wife made a similar comment about the accents when we first started watching the show - definitely strong.

I grew up in West Bend, but have family up in that area.  Love the people and the country, but the accents make me giggle a bit.

22 hours ago, incognito_man said:

Is this the Scott Peterson case? Yeah he's guilty as sin too. There was waaayyyy more than enough circumstantial evidence to find him guilty too.

That's another case I dug into at one point.

Yes.  The problem I had with the documentary is that if that were truthful and that was what the prosecution brought, he has to be found not guilty.  That is what confused me the entire time.  I thought it looked pretty easy to find the guy guilty.  But the prosecution was probably worse than against OJ.  THEN, the jury still found him guilty.  

10 hours ago, ThatJerkDave said:

Yes.  The problem I had with the documentary is that if that were truthful and that was what the prosecution brought, he has to be found not guilty.  That is what confused me the entire time.  I thought it looked pretty easy to find the guy guilty.  But the prosecution was probably worse than against OJ.  THEN, the jury still found him guilty.  

The Staircase was about Michael Peterson, not Scott Peterson. I got really bored with the doc and didn't finish it but the premise was basically that an ex-wife died falling down stairs and which apparently gave him knowledge of how to fake his next wife's death by claiming she fell down the stairs too? 

If you have the time, Evil Genius is another good one. It doesn't try to argue in favor of innocence, probably because there's no doubt that they were involved, and instead just examines how these people managed to pull off a their crime and the extent to which the perpetrators were involved. 

Edited by skywindO2

1 hour ago, skywindO2 said:

The Staircase was about Michael Peterson, not Scott Peterson. I got really bored with the doc and didn't finish it but the premise was basically that an ex-wife died falling down stairs and which apparently gave him knowledge of how to fake his next wife's death by claiming she fell down the stairs too? 

If you have the time, Evil Genius is another good one. It doesn't try to argue in favor of innocence, probably because there's no doubt that they were involved, and instead just examines how these people managed to pull off a their crime and the extent to which the perpetrators were involved. 

Correct.  Michael Peterson.  My bad.  It was kind of boring, but once I start a story, I really want to know the end.  

I will watch Evil Genius at some point.  It looked good.  

I really liked Mindhunter as well, though that is a historical drama, not a documentary.  

• Like 1

This is why I don’t really bother with these kinds of true crime docs, despite having some interest in the subject. Most are financed at least in part by the defense team so you’re getting a lot of propaganda. If not that, the defense team is likely to be a lot more generous with access to evidence than the DA’s office.

Tomorrow is my annual work chili cook-off contest.

This is my first time entering. 

Those poor bastards have no idea what's about to happen...

The best 13 ingredients ever assembled.

100 incog points to whomever can get the most ingredients correct (limit of 13 guesses per entry).

7 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

100 incog points to whomever can get the most ingredients correct (limit of 13 guesses per entry).

Cumin, cayenne pepper, paprika, oregano, chili powder, cilantro, black beans, Great Northern beans, ground beef, onion, mushroom, dairy (half and half, butter, milk), and jalapeno.  Replace the jalapeno with green bell pepper and those are the ingredients I use.  I also usually skip on the oregano or the cumin and I usually put in some pinto beans. 

10 hours ago, Outpost31 said:

Cumin, cayenne pepper, paprika, oregano, chili powder, cilantro, black beans, Great Northern beans, ground beef, onion, mushroom, dairy (half and half, butter, milk), and jalapeno.  Replace the jalapeno with green bell pepper and those are the ingredients I use.  I also usually skip on the oregano or the cumin and I usually put in some pinto beans. 

3/13