This Aint Packers Talk v69

CWood21

13 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

I don't even know how you can say  with any confidence how it would be reacted to 15 years ago. There's no cultural context for it fifteen years ago. If anything, I think that it's prevalent enough to be reacted to so vehemently is probably a good sign. If you tried to lecture somebody about "toxic masculinity" in 2004 they wouldn't have the slightest idea what you're talking about, and probably would have just shrugged you off as a weirdo for being concerned about it. 

As far as why it pisses people off, in the case of Gillette, it's hypocritical as hell. They don't give a **** about toxic masculinity. They're trying to get paid and cash in on that "woke" money. They don't care about women, at least not more than they care about their dollars. They're still charging women laughably more money for inferior razors. They still throw their name up on the Patriots stadium when that team employed Aaron Hernandez, like the NFL isn't the most "Toxic Masculine" institution outside of maybe the military. Why the hell shouldn't people be pissed off about companies lying about their values? It gets old fast. This is the exact definition of corporate virtue signalling. It's annoying. 

As far as why some men get annoyed when they get lectured about sexual harassment, getting lectured about sexual harassment when you don't sexually harass people is irritating. I'm not saying a good portion of the anti-SJW population isn't mouth breathing trolls, but it would help if the same people who post about this "equality" weren't just looking for a check. Carrie Underwood is a classic example. Produces a **** song and then takes a shot at the women for calling a spade a spade under the guise of feminism.

Look at Disney's reaction to their Last Jedi flop (being a relative term) it wasn't that everyone in the movie behaved irrationally, it was the sexist's fault. As far as the criticism that they were putting their "inclusive" tendencies over immersive story telling not being valid, in the next movie they released, Lando was ******* a robot, not like a humanoid android, like a freaking toaster. It's not like there's a shortage of examples of this kinda thing. Sacrificing quality for diversity isn't something that people should be happy about. 

****. I have to hate Alex now :(

Edit: I'll make an actual reply when I'm on the PC later. Too lazy to type thoughts on this one

Edited by Norm

10 hours ago, Leader said:

"In the co-main event Saturday night at Barclays Center, former NFL defensive lineman Greg Hardy was disqualified for throwing an illegal knee in the second round of his heavyweight fight with Allen Crowder.

Hardy, who had reached the second round for the first time in his short MMA career, was grappling on the canvas with Crowder when he began to get on his feet. Crowder still had a knee down when Hardy launched his right knee into Crowder’s temple in an illegal maneuver. Crowder couldn’t continue and Hardy was disqualified in his UFC debut"

Did you watch it? I didn't.  Was it intentional, and I mean did he know the knee was illegal and just wanted to hurt the guy, or did he just throw the knee because he thought he saw an opening and didn't realize that it was a foul?

38 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

Did you watch it? I didn't.  Was it intentional, and I mean did he know the knee was illegal and just wanted to hurt the guy, or did he just throw the knee because he thought he saw an opening and didn't realize that it was a foul?

No. I didnt see it. Came across an article about it and thought to post the info as an update on his whereabouts.....

2 hours ago, ThatJerkDave said:

oh, ok.  Not all DQs are the same is all I'm saying.  

MMA + UFC are bloodsports IMO and I dont watch the vast majority of it for that reason. I'll tune in when the top talents are fighting - but other than that no. I've seen some fights that are just "gushers" of blood. I mean, some guy is just getting sliced and diced - but the "fight" goes on. Another fighter developed a - I dont even know what to call it - but a baseball/softball sized bulge on the side of his forehead from getting kicked - and the fight went on. Ahhhhhhh come on. I dont need to watch such stuff.

Dont know the rules - but putting a guy lights out with a knee shot to the head while he's kneeling or getting to his feet (?) - thats fairly vicious IMO. It's probably deemed okay if the guy was on his feet - but even that is somewhat questionable - again IMO.

5 hours ago, Leader said:

MMA + UFC are bloodsports IMO and I dont watch the vast majority of it for that reason. I'll tune in when the top talents are fighting - but other than that no. I've seen some fights that are just "gushers" of blood. I mean, some guy is just getting sliced and diced - but the "fight" goes on. Another fighter developed a - I dont even know what to call it - but a baseball/softball sized bulge on the side of his forehead from getting kicked - and the fight went on. Ahhhhhhh come on. I dont need to watch such stuff.

Dont know the rules - but putting a guy lights out with a knee shot to the head while he's kneeling or getting to his feet (?) - thats fairly vicious IMO. It's probably deemed okay if the guy was on his feet - but even that is somewhat questionable - again IMO.

No doubt it is brutal.  I am not the biggest fan of MMA because I am not really entertained by the wrestling aspect of it.  But I love boxing, so go figure.  

14 hours ago, ThatJerkDave said:

Hardy was getting gassed and the other guy started jawing, I think that clouded the judgement a bit. Maybe he straight didn't know it was a rule but that'd be a pretty serious black mark on his camp because that's a pretty basic one. Like it'd be top 5 to someone who just came into a gym and wanted to fight. 

29 minutes ago, HighCalebR said:

Hardy was getting gassed and the other guy started jawing, I think that clouded the judgement a bit. Maybe he straight didn't know it was a rule but that'd be a pretty serious black mark on his camp because that's a pretty basic one. Like it'd be top 5 to someone who just came into a gym and wanted to fight. 

I can't picture who right now but back when I watched all the time I saw big names do this a couple times. But that was probably guys who came from Pride where that was legal I think? My memory sucks

1 hour ago, Norm said:

I can't picture who right now but back when I watched all the time I saw big names do this a couple times. But that was probably guys who came from Pride where that was legal I think? My memory sucks

Wanderlei Silva loved stomping skulls but yeah that savagery was pride haha.  The 3 point contact rule in ufc definitely keeps guys from going from ring to hospital. 

All that said Hardy is such a cash grab with no real background in the sport that I could see where he was oblivious. 

15 hours ago, ThatJerkDave said:

Hardy was losing badly and clearly had nothing left. Not saying he wanted it to end, but he probably viewed it as a win/win. He wins the fight if the ref doesn't call it and he loses on the DQ rather than a knockout, tapout, or decision if he does.

23 minutes ago, HighCalebR said:

Wanderlei Silva loved stomping skulls but yeah that savagery was pride haha.  The 3 point contact rule in ufc definitely keeps guys from going from ring to hospital. 

All that said Hardy is such a cash grab with no real background in the sport that I could see where he was oblivious. 

It wasn't Wanderlei but someone with a big name took a DQ for "forgetting" they weren't in PRIDE anymore once, at least once. But the hell if I can remember who. That's what I was trying to say lol

• Like 1