This Aint Packers Talk v69

CWood21

5 hours ago, HighCalebR said:

It was green out and 50⁰ 3 days ago. Now I've got 2' of snow in the yard and storefronts are drifted over. THE LIQUOR STORES DIDNT OPEN YESTERDAY RANDY.

My favorite thing about Colorado winters is getting to respond to these types of posts.

Reel feel of 82° on Tuesday afternoon. 

Real feel of -8° and 5" of snow Wednesday evening.

Snow was melted on the sidewalks when I woke up and I didn't have to shovel Thursday morning. 

4 minutes ago, wgbeethree said:

My favorite thing about Colorado winters is getting to respond to these types of posts.

Reel feel of 82° on Tuesday afternoon. 

Real feel of -8° and 5" of snow Wednesday evening.

Snow was melted on the sidewalks when I woke up and I didn't have to shovel Thursday morning. 

Unreal. My town decided it was no use plowing and shut down operations altogether. We made the national news though, so that was neat.

8 hours ago, Cakeshoppe said:

I mean speaking objectively, bald eagles can and do waste geese for food. Golden eagle would defeat both, and also hunt cranes.  Golden Eagles have been known to hunt and kill fully-grown deer and pronghorn. Adding raptors into the equation is probably unfair though. Try a cassowary. Pelicans are also not to be trifled with.

I read that a crane and a bald eagle is a 50-50 bet.  They usually don't fight because they both know that it is a bad choice.  If an ambush doesn't work, the crane is going to beat most other birds of similar sizes.

I bet geese, turkeys, cranes and eagles would run from a peacock.

Cassowary doesn't count because it is an unreachable weight class for these birds.  That is like pitting a boston terrier against a hyena. 

Also, on the walk to the bar, I saw some kind of bird that got annihilated by the peregrine falcons that live on the roof of my building.  It had a really long beak, and was maybe 1.5 times as large as a pigeon.  It was brown.  It kind of looked like a picture of a sandpiper, but the web page I looked at said they aren't in this region.

6 hours ago, ThatJerkDave said:

I read that a crane and a bald eagle is a 50-50 bet.  They usually don't fight because they both know that it is a bad choice.  If an ambush doesn't work, the crane is going to beat most other birds of similar sizes.

I bet geese, turkeys, cranes and eagles would run from a peacock.

Cassowary doesn't count because it is an unreachable weight class for these birds.  That is like pitting a boston terrier against a hyena. 

Also, on the walk to the bar, I saw some kind of bird that got annihilated by the peregrine falcons that live on the roof of my building.  It had a really long beak, and was maybe 1.5 times as large as a pigeon.  It was brown.  It kind of looked like a picture of a sandpiper, but the web page I looked at said they aren't in this region.

Killdeer?

Yeah, bald eagles are kinda wimps. 

Benjamin Franklin:

"For my own part I wish the Bald Eagle had not been chosen the Representative of our Country. He is a Bird of bad moral Character. He does not get his Living honestly. You may have seen him perched on some dead Tree near the River, where, too lazy to fish for himself, he watches the Labour of the Fishing Hawk; and when that diligent Bird has at length taken a Fish, and is bearing it to his Nest for the Support of his Mate and young Ones, the Bald Eagle pursues him and takes it from him."

I don't know what this conversation is about, but I'm pretty crazy about birds, and I'm pretty crazy about America, and I still don't think all that highly of bald eagles. 

Just looked back.  Goose/turkey?  I'd go with a goose.  A turkey has something closer to talons while a goose has more webbed feet, a turkey also has a lot more weight and mass than a goose, but what a turkey does not have is the teeth.  Geese have some nasty teeth, and they also have that long neck.  In a fight to the death, I'd definitely put money on a goose if I was into such betting. 

36 minutes ago, blueswedeshoes said:

Killdeer?

Looking at photos of a killdeer, that is probably what it was.  This thing had a really long beak, but the coloration is pretty close.  For whatever reason, I thought that killdeer were mostly white.  I must have it confused with a different kind of bird.  It is definitely not a woodpecker.  

6 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

Yeah, bald eagles are kinda wimps. 

Benjamin Franklin:

I don't know what this conversation is about, but I'm pretty crazy about birds, and I'm pretty crazy about America, and I still don't think all that highly of bald eagles. 

Just looked back.  Goose/turkey?  I'd go with a goose.  A turkey has something closer to talons while a goose has more webbed feet, a turkey also has a lot more weight and mass than a goose, but what a turkey does not have is the teeth.  Geese have some nasty teeth, and they also have that long neck.  In a fight to the death, I'd definitely put money on a goose if I was into such betting. 

That is kind of what I was thinking.  A goose wins if there was a weight class and an organized "fighting ring" structure to the match-up.  But I am kind of coming around to picking the turkey if two random adults crossed paths and decided it was go time. 

Bald eagles are beautiful though.

Back at Mizzou, there is a collection of stuffed birds in the back hallways of the Agriculture building.  There are hundreds of the things.  It is really neat to look at some of the displays that have been selected for in birds.  

Just now, deathstar said:

I don't know if you guys have ever interacted with mockingbirds, but when they're protecting their nest they scare the **** out of me. Dive bomb city around a hospital I walk my dog by.

Mockingbirds are chicken feed when compared to similar behavior from hawks.....of the Red Shouldered variety. I've had generations of them nest and rear their young on my (and adjacent) property and have been hit in the head multiple times...with scratches left...because I came too close to their nest.
I learned that if I saw them coming....not always the case obviously.....I could get them to break off the assault by raising my arm. Not to strike them - but I found that simple act caused them to break off. Consider it next time you're walking your dog.

• Like 1