This Aint Packers Talk v69

CWood21

7 hours ago, Green19 said:

After watching the first hardknock... we can all be happy that Green Bay didn’t draft Jonathan abrams.

The show isn’t doing him any favors.

Disagree. Thought he looked good.

The only real takeaway from Hardknocks at this point is that in the year 2019, even the most genuinely insane in society are brand conscious. That episode was one of the most boring in the history of the series.  

On 07/08/2019 at 5:27 AM, ThatJerkDave said:

I still can't believe that nobody has mentioned the worst group ever though.  These dudes sold a lot of records.  And once I say it, there will probably be one guy that gets really mad and the rest will all agree.  :D 

I was going to say either Pink Floyd or The Rolling Stones but clearly those are wrong from later posts.  I would have agreed though 😃

I’ll chuck another couple of British Bands into the pot though in Led Zeppelin and Queen.

If I’m right, I will be the guy who gets mad although having seen Led Zep in 2005, Plant’s vocals were enough to put anyone off for life! 

Queen live were absolutely amazing!!!

Led Zeppelin has 5 amazing songs that are works of pure genius.  They have 10 good songs.  The rest of their songs are absolutely forgettable. 

Queen has like 10 amazing songs, then 30 songs that are good songs, and the rest are at the very least catchy. 

With Queen, the songs are each distinct in their own way.  With Led Zeppelin, I could listen to their songs all day for a week and by the end of that week still not be able to tell you the name of the song when hearing it.  They all kinda just blend together. 

4 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Disagree. Thought he looked good.

The only real takeaway from Hardknocks at this point is that in the year 2019, even the most genuinely insane in society are brand conscious. That episode was one of the most boring in the history of the series.  

Agree to disagree. Kid felt immature, like even more immature than you could normally expect from a 23 year old.

He stood out in a sea of boring and maybe that’s why his immature popped more to me. Everyone else lacked a personality. Carr, AB, the kid from last chance U. And Gruden is Gruden so we are use to it by now that it’s not interesting.

But sorry, abrams the player looked good... abrams the human looked immature.

On 07/08/2019 at 4:37 PM, TheGreatZepp said:

Is it Boston? ABBA? Simon and Garfunkel? 

Nope... never mind... It’s Creed

ABBA were very commercial but wrote excellent hit records with strong melodies. S&G had good harmony  voices. I have more than a feeling that Boston weren't awful (especially if AOR is your thing).

How about Grand Funk Railroad, at one time the highest paid band in the world. Saw them in Hyde Park, London on July 3rd 1971 - A disappointment, Humble Pie were much better.
I saw Dire Straits at the Birmingham Exhibition Centre (England) in the 80's. Talented, but boy, did Knoffler ever give off "Don't want to be here" vibes. You can't be doing that at venues where people have paid plenty, and often travelled far to see you. Genesis (with Peter Gabriel) were on there some months earlier, and were as excellent on stage, as Knoffler was poor. YES in Colston Hall Bristol were good as well.

One of my favourite genres is minimalist German electronic. I loved Neu, Tangerine Dream, Kraftwerk, Faust. In fact writing that has persuaded me to go and listen to Neu's 'Fur Immer' and 'Hallogallo' - nodding head syndrome, roll on.

Edited by OneTwoSixFive

23 minutes ago, OneTwoSixFive said:

ABBA were very commercial but wrote excellent hit records with strong melodies. S&G had good voices. I have more than a feeling that Boston weren't awful (especially if AOR is your thing).

How about Grand Funk Railroad, at one time the highest paid band in the world. Saw them in Hyde Park, London on July 3rd 1971 - A disappointment, Humble Pie were much better.
I saw Dire Straits at the Birmingham Exhibition Centre (England) in the 80's. Talented, but boy, did Knoffler ever give off "Don't want to be here" vibes. You can't be doing that at venues where people have paid plenty, and often travelled far to see you. Genesis (with Peter Gabriel) were on there some months earlier, and were as excellent on stage, as Knoffler was poor. YES in Colston Hall Bristol were good as well.

One of my favourite genres is minimalist German electronic. I loved Neu, Tangerine Dream, Kraftwerk, Faust. In fact writing that has persuaded me to go and listen to Neu's 'Fur Immer' and 'Hallogallo' - nodding head syndrome, roll on.

I think you’re a bit older than me 1265 (always read your posts on here and PC) but first time I saw Queen was at the NEC in ‘78.  Crazy Tour.  Great Venue before the Stadiums took off although Knebworth was special too.  And Donington for the Monsters of Rock festivals.

Now I can just imagine you listening to some German electro stuff on coloured vinyl 😃

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Brit_Pack said:

Now I can just imagine you listening to some German electro stuff on coloured vinyl 😃

Ah the coloured vinyl - nostalgia. I bought the first '12" picture disc' as far as i know, which was 'Airconditioning' by Curved Air, featuring a rare (in those days) electric violin. Sadly the picture on the LP was made by laying down the picture on a flat viny disc, than adding a clear plastic layer over the top and cutting the grooves in that, and the clear plastic was not very good for quality sound......

Here is a song just for you, circa 1972. I found it 20 mins ago in one of my youtube wanderings. A band I was unaware of at the time Cymande do a very nice line in slightly jazzy music, but with very nice rhythmic grooves, and lots of interesting percussion. The album is same name as the group, here is the track , 'Dove' (and there are lots of good tracks are on this album).

Edited by OneTwoSixFive

1 hour ago, OneTwoSixFive said:

I saw Dire Straits at the Birmingham Exhibition Centre (England) in the 80's. Talented, but boy, did Knoffler ever give off "Don't want to be here" vibes. You can't be doing that at venues where people have paid plenty, and often travelled far to see you.

I saw Dire Straits after they released their first album after “Sultans of Swing”.

Partway through, Knoffler sat down, took the spotlight, and began to noodle through a very understated, slow, jazzy solo. The Milwaukee crowd grew restless and began to catcall and yell out requests and stuff. It was really sad to witness such a disconnect between artist and audience. 

22 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

where does Tangerine fall in your tiers

Probably in the forgettable category because I just had to listen to it again.

Not trying to say any of their songs are bad, but to me, Tangerine sounds like all but 15 of their songs to me.