This Aint Packers Talk v69

CWood21

4 minutes ago, Uffdaswede said:

Are you having trouble with Republicans or bald faced hornets?

Latter. I was moving a trailer and the bastards got me 3 times before I could even grab the jack handle. They were like living in the trailer hitch. Went nuclear with the spray and they were just falling out of the inside of it. I screamed like a little girl.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Norm said:

Latter. I was moving a trailer and the bastards got me 3 times before I could even grab the jack handle. They were like living in the trailer hitch. Went nuclear with the spray and they were just falling out of the inside of it. I screamed like a little girl.

According to the Schmidt Insect Sting Pain Index, yellow jackets register as a 2 and paper wasps 3 on a scale that only reaches 4 (bullet ant). If you could see papery cells on the underside of the hitch they were paper wasps. If, as you suggest, they had built a nest inside the tube they were yellow jackets as they can nest in cavities, although they can also build an aerial nest within a paper envelope like bald-faced hornets do. 

My brother-in-law’s country porch has a few small brown paper bags hanging from the rafters. It fools the wasps into thinking that the territory is already claimed and they move on.

A paste of baking soda and water helps with the pain, as does ice, although I find that ice soaked in whiskey is preferred for sting relief. 

4 minutes ago, Uffdaswede said:

According to the Schmidt Insect Sting Pain Index, yellow jackets register as a 2 and paper wasps 3 on a scale that only reaches 4 (bullet ant). If you could see papery cells on the underside of the hitch they were paper wasps. If, as you suggest, they had built a nest inside the tube they were yellow jackets as they can nest in cavities, although they can also build an aerial nest within a paper envelope like bald-faced hornets do. 

My brother-in-law’s country porch has a few small brown paper bags hanging from the rafters. It fools the wasps into thinking that the territory is already claimed and they move on.

A paste of baking soda and water helps with the pain, as does ice, although I find that ice soaked in whiskey is preferred for sting relief. 

So much information right here. 

The last part is my favorite though.

49 minutes ago, Norm said:

You are not alone. I was on a riding mower and "edging" in tight around a cluster of bromeliads - the machines noise and vibration stirred up yellow jackets that had built their nest underground, under cover of the bromeliads and I got nailed three times before I knew what hit me.

I swore quite a few times while jumping off the mower and hauling ***
No one within ear shot would have mistaken me for a little girl :)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Leader said:

You are not alone. I was on a riding mower and "edging" in tight around a cluster of bromeliads - the machines noise and vibration stirred up yellow jackets that had built their nest underground, under cover of the bromeliads and I got nailed three times before I knew what hit me.

I swore quite a few times while jumping off the mower and hauling ***
No one within ear shot would have mistaken me for a little girl :)

Haha I actually just screamed the f word as loud as possible like 3 times. But I was pretty damn jittery going near the trailer after that

I'm mildly allergic, nothing insane. I just welt up more than most people. I caught one on the cheekbone from some damn thing a few years back and my eye swelled up like a boxer. It was fine but my boss at the time was just sure I needed to get to the IR before I died.

Edited by Norm
  • Like 1

Just now, Norm said:

Haha I actually just screamed the f word as loud as possible like 3 times. But I was pretty damn jittery going near the trailer after that

I went.....got a machete and gasoline and commenced to hack thru the bromeliads and firebomb / burn the little bastards out of house and home!

Got chased a good distance more than a couple times - they have amazing honing skills and can follow the trail of carbon dioxide we exhale while running - but they never got me again.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Leader said:

I went.....got a machete and gasoline and commenced to hack thru the bromeliads and firebomb / burn the little bastards out of house and home!

Got chased a good distance more than a couple times - they have amazing honing skills and can follow the trail of carbon dioxide we exhale while running - but they never got me again.

That's hardcore. lol.

My old man is crazy allergic to bees and wasps/hornets. Bees worse, I think. IDK, got stung by a bee once and we lived a block from the hospital but his tongue was damn near blocking his breathing by the time we got him there. So I guess I'm a little more frantic about it over that even though I've been stung dozen times or more and never had anything too crazy happen.

5 minutes ago, Norm said:

That's hardcore. lol. My old man is crazy allergic to bees and wasps/hornets. Bees worse, I think. IDK, got stung by a bee once and we lived a block from the hospital but his tongue was damn near blocking his breathing by the time we got him there. So I guess I'm a little more frantic about it over that even though I've been stung dozen times or more and never had anything too crazy happen.

It was actually and took considerable time....but I got them and the bromeliads eventually filled in the area again. Nothing but a memory.

When another nest popped up on the other side of the property some years later - I bypassed the physical assault (even though the machete work wouldnt have been necessary) and called in a professional that killed them far easier. It is what it is.

Edited by Leader
  • Like 1

Back in the days of flared trousers, a bee went up mine while I was golfing and stung me high on the inner thigh multiple times. I whipped off the trousers and it flew away. Laughably, no-one else who was around even noticed I had whipped off my trousers (pants to most Americans, I believe).........you can get pretty much in the zone when you golf.

I also got bitten by an adder (snake) when at scout camp, it blew my leg up to twice it's size, but never really hurt. Went back down after a few days.