This Aint Packers Talk v69

CWood21

12 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

I want full roster control ala Chucky/Carrol otherwise I'm leaving like Parcels. 

But in all seriousness, the football blueballs needs to end. This season can't keep dragging like this.

Sorry....but roster control is @Packerraymond 's.
Seriousness has nothing to do with this commentary. Lighthearted only :)

14 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Hot take, coasting on its reputation. The administration has done a lot to soften the edge on it. 

I actually thought Iowa City's had a better pregame setup.

Really? Man, I guess spending several years in Madison leaves me biased but Iowa City always seemed like a mini Madison to me.

Top ten college town restaurants, dive bars and hole-in-the-wall food joints that serve up the greatest grub.

1. Booches - Columbia, Mo.
2. Veracruz All Natural - Austin, Texas
3. Dotty Dumpling’s Dowry - Madison, Wisc.
4. Zingerman’s - Ann Arbor, Mich.
5. Simply Pressed - South Bend, Ind.
6. Dixie Chicken - College Station, Texas
7. Archibald’s - Tuscaloosa, Ala.
8. Mother Bear's - Bloomington, Ind.
9. Mamaleh’s - Cambridge, Mass.
10. Waffle House - All locations, everywhere

15 minutes ago, Leader said:

Top ten college town restaurants, dive bars and hole-in-the-wall food joints that serve up the greatest grub.

Can attest to Mother Bear's in B-Town. Incredible Pizza.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Leader said:

Yessir!  Very good greasy burger.  Probably need to eat 3 or 4.  Refills cost extra on any drink but water (I don't remember if they serve water).  They don't take credit cards.  

In fact, I think I may need to make a road trip.

Edited by ThatJerkDave
  • Like 1

On 8/13/2019 at 8:31 AM, Leader said:

Twitter: Sports Illustrated names Madison, Wisconsin its best college town in America.

//////

Anybody who's been to Madison want to weigh in?

I lived in Madison for a while, growing up.  It is a fantastic town.  Didn't go to college there, but could have.  Mizzou was cheaper and closer to home, but far enough away that I couldn't just call mommy when there was a problem.  As far as I know, I would recommend Madison to anyone.  It is a reasonably large town, so you have access to almost anything you would want.  But at the same time not intimidatingly large like Chicago.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

Yessir!  Very good greasy burger.  Probably need to eat 3 or 4.  Refills cost extra on any drink but water (I don't remember if they serve water).  They don't take credit cards.  In fact, I think I may need to make a road trip.

If you’d like a game of pool to go along with your burger, you can get one here—but really, Booches delectable beef patties need very little in the way of adornment. They’re a size never seen elsewhere, halfway between a slider and a full-sized burger, perfectly tender and crispy at the edges. Cheese, ketchup, mustard, pickle, onion—those are the only choices you need to make. Booches doesn’t even serve fries, because it doesn’t need to; just order a third burger, and you’ll be satisfied.

32 minutes ago, Fl0nkerton said:

Can attest to Mother Bear's in B-Town. Incredible Pizza.

Mother Bear’s looks a lot like the staple pizza joint in every other college town across the Midwest—but its pizza is better. The restaurant offers thin crust and deep dish, but go with the pan pizza, which is perfectly crispy, doughy and cheesy all at once.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Hot take, coasting on its reputation. The administration has done a lot to soften the edge on it. 

I actually thought Iowa City's had a better pregame setup.

There are a lot of really great college towns across the country.  Each has their pros and cons.  Fall/spring in Madison with the Memorial Union is pretty fantastic.  Winter can be pretty brutal if it gets below 0.  

I’ve been to Dotty Dumplings after hearing the highest of recommendations from friends. It has a much better atmosphere than the name suggests. Oddly, I have seen it left off of some lists of Madison eateries. The food is very good I think, if not like Zowie! But most restaurants don’t make me go zowie since I have lived with or been family to some of the best cooks on the planet for a loong time.

As far as Madison, I heard that there are some class and cultural divisions between wealthy out-of-staters and ‘sconny students. Any truth to that, or naw?

Edited by Uffdaswede

2 minutes ago, Uffdaswede said:

I’ve been to Dotty Dumplings after hearing the highest of recommendations from friends. It has a much better atmosphere than the name suggests. Oddly, I have seen it left off of some lists of Madison eateries. The food is very good I think, if not like Zowie! But most restaurants don’t make me go zowie since I have lived with or been family to some of the best cooks on the planet for a loong time.

As far as Madison, I heard that there are some class and cultural divisions between wealthy out-of-staters and ‘sconny students. Any truth to that, or naw?

Spotted cow and fried cheese curds are the perfect predecessor to the burgers at Dotty Dumpling’s Dowry, which are phenomenal. (Unlike Booches, there are fries, and they’re great.) Still, the most memorable moments might be the beer and appetizer, considering New Glarus’s brews aren’t available outside state lines, and it’s also inadvisable to consume curds in states non-adjacent to Wisconsin.

7 minutes ago, Leader said:

"Sconnies" and "Coasties" was definitely a thing a decade ago when my ex went there but my gf now went there ~20 years ago and says she had no idea that was a thing. 

Pretty sure the locals vs. the rich kids is a trope in every college town. Petty and/or snobby people anywhere are always going to find something to "justify" being that way.

3 hours ago, wgbeethree said:

"Sconnies" and "Coasties" was definitely a thing a decade ago when my ex went there but my gf now went there ~20 years ago and says she had no idea that was a thing. 

Pretty sure the locals vs. the rich kids is a trope in every college town. Petty and/or snobby people anywhere are always going to find something to "justify" being that way.

Interesting.....

In the comment above this one you quote "me" saying:  "As far as Madison, I heard that there are some class and cultural divisions between wealthy out-of-staters and ‘sconny students. Any truth to that, or naw?" 

Only I never said of asked that question. I dont know anything about Madison WI and before reading some comments on here I didnt know such things as "Sconnies" and "Coasties" existed.

54 minutes ago, Leader said:

Interesting.....

In the comment above this one you quote "me" saying:  "As far as Madison, I heard that there are some class and cultural divisions between wealthy out-of-staters and ‘sconny students. Any truth to that, or naw?" 

Only I never said of asked that question. I dont know anything about Madison WI and before reading some comments on here I didnt know such things as "Sconnies" and "Coasties" existed.

I must have quoted your quote of uffdaswede somehow. 🤷

Edit: Just played around with it a bit and apparently if I highlight and quote a portion of something you quoted it attributes the quote to you. I'm certain I'll find a way to use this new found skill nefariously.

Edited by wgbeethree