This Aint Packers Talk v69

CWood21

“One of the saddest lessons of history is this: If we’ve been bamboozled long enough, we tend to reject any evidence of the bamboozle. We’re no longer interested in finding out the truth. The bamboozle has captured us. It’s simply too painful to acknowledge, even to ourselves, that we’ve been taken. Once you give a charlatan power over you, you almost never get it back.”  Carl Sagan
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, ThatJerkDave said:

Wind and solar are not good options, as neither provide consistent output.  I agree that reliance on coal is not a good way to produce electricity.  We need to use nuclear power more.  Nuclear power has had a lot of negative propaganda put against it, but it is safer and more efficient than other methods.  

I guess I don't understand hydroelectric power.  I know the water turns the turbine and creates a lot of electricity.  Why haven't we made a man-made loop with a series of hydro dams feeding into each other, just constantly producing power.  It doesn't even have to be across a river.  There is a lot of empty land where such a facility could be constructed and not block natural waterways.  

From what I understand it's the transportation of the energy created by the dams that is the issue. But that's a very entry level education.

5 minutes ago, 15412 said:

"We" have been doing to our seas?   China, Russia, Korea, Japan etc etc make us look like Greenpeace.  Love that floating nuclear station Russia is in the process of adding to the Arctic.  Now that's progress!

I was using the collective "we" as in all persons/countries. Considering the world as borderless. Pollution doesnt recognize boundaries.

Be thankful it's not 58 below, like it was 6 months ago.  The earth warms, the earth cools.  The Vikings, and not the Minnesota kind, flourished during the Medieval warming period.  Not nearly so much when the earth cooled, nor did man anywhere else.  We are in the dying throws of our last great ice age.  We'll be less than dust when the next one comes, but come it will.

1 hour ago, 15412 said:

"We" have been doing to our seas?   China, Russia, Korea, Japan etc etc make us look like Greenpeace.  Love that floating nuclear station Russia is in the process of adding to the Arctic.  Now that's progress!

Nat gas is the only way to go in the near future, and long term foreseeable future.  Burns cleaner than oil (which burns cleaner than the cleanest coal) and with giant reserves here in the USA and world wide.  Anything else is a fantasy...

And yet I run about 95% of my power needs through the solar panels on my property.  Only run short in the winter sometimes.

It's the difference between need and want.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, 15412 said:

Be thankful it's not 58 below, like it was 6 months ago.  The earth warms, the earth cools.  The Vikings, and not the Minnesota kind, flourished during the Medieval warming period.  Not nearly so much when the earth cooled, nor did man anywhere else.  We are in the dying throws of our last great ice age.  We'll be less than dust when the next one comes, but come it will.

Slight differences.....previous periodic changes didnt have a the following mixed in: industrial revolution, the internal combustion engine, fossil fuels and the number of people that currently inhabit this rock we call Earth.

10 hours ago, ThatJerkDave said:

Wind and solar are not good options, as neither provide consistent output.  I agree that reliance on coal is not a good way to produce electricity.  We need to use nuclear power more.  Nuclear power has had a lot of negative propaganda put against it, but it is safer and more efficient than other methods.  

I guess I don't understand hydroelectric power.  I know the water turns the turbine and creates a lot of electricity.  Why haven't we made a man-made loop with a series of hydro dams feeding into each other, just constantly producing power.  It doesn't even have to be across a river.  There is a lot of empty land where such a facility could be constructed and not block natural waterways.  

Wind and solar are fine forms of energy capture with battery tech advancing as rapidly as it is. Nuclear should also be a large part of future energy requirements. 

I am, however, more skeptical of your perpetual motion hydro idea ;)

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Dubz41 said:

And yet I run about 95% of my power needs through the solar panels on my property.  Only run short in the winter sometimes.

It's the difference between need and want.

Couldn't agree more. I'm fortunate enough to live in a Victorian home with a buttload of windows in each room and I rarely turn on a light during the day and only turn on selected lights after dusk. I'm fortunate that my landlord installed lightbulbs into the old gas lamps that adorn the walls of each room, where I turn a switch, a 60 watt bulb lights up, and is sufficient enough to cover the entire room. Compared to previous rentals, I've saved bucketloads of money by being conservative with how many lights I turn on and how many additional appliances I plug into the wall outside of my fridge. 

Conservation my friends...

• Like 1

11 hours ago, ThatJerkDave said:

e need to use nuclear power more.  Nuclear power has had a lot of negative propaganda put against it, but it is safer and more efficient than other methods.  

this so much this.

Kind of hate that tv show chernobyl for dredging up some of that fearmongering attitudes in people.

11 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

Wind and solar are fine forms of energy capture with battery tech advancing as rapidly as it is. Nuclear should also be a large part of future energy requirements. 

I am, however, more skeptical of your perpetual motion hydro idea ;)

I second your endorsement of nuclear energy.  Clean, powerful supply.