This Aint Packers Talk v69

CWood21

I needn’t tell the educated people on this forum that nicotine isn’t carcinogenic, else why would the FDA approve gum and patches with nicotine in them? There are a buttload of bad carcinogens in tobacco. Nicotine is the addictive straw that stirs the drink.

LEAD STORY:VAPING IS KILLING EVERYONE!

There is a difference between inhaling black market THC cartridges and FDA approved glycols. Delivering THC and delivering nicotine through vaporization are two different problems requiring different chemistry. Every hospitalization has been presented as “vaping” even though the problem Is connected to THC drug use vaping solely. This lapse in reporting transparency is probably not puzzling. 

A twenty year old man was busted in Wisconsin for running a factory with ten employees. He had guns, drugs, and thousands in cash. His business was filling cartridges with THC and some mixture that would hold it in suspension and vaporize when heated. Think he was FDA approved? He was pumping out thousands of cartridges every day at 30 bucks a pop.

There is a health concern here with THC vaping, but there is also a concern with a fundamental willingness on the part of the media, law enforcement, and local health agencies to obfuscate, confuse and conjoin nicotine vaping with the health consequences of THC vaping.

The FDA? Their involvement is to crack down on vaping flavors that may appeal to kids. They have nothing to say on health consequences of glycols, and the THC systems causing problems are illegal and obviously outside of FDA control. 

EDIT: The above was stuff in my head. A bit if research shows that the culprit is a THC thickening agent, vitamin E acetate. The research confirms that all of the hospitalizations were related to this. So even THC vaping is unfairly targeted. It’s black market THC that’s making people sick. How is that story so hard to tell?

Edited by Uffdaswede

23 minutes ago, Uffdaswede said:

I needn’t tell the educated people on this forum that nicotine isn’t carcinogenic, else why would the FDA approve gum and patches with nicotine in them? There are a buttload of bad carcinogens in tobacco. Nicotine is the addictive straw that stirs the drink.

LEAD STORY:VAPING IS KILLING EVERYONE!

There is a difference between inhaling black market THC cartridges and FDA approved glycols. Delivering THC and delivering nicotine through vaporization are two different problems requiring different chemistry. Every hospitalization has been presented as “vaping” even though the problem Is connected to THC drug use vaping solely. This lapse in reporting transparency is probably not puzzling. 

A twenty year old man was busted in Wisconsin for running a factory with ten employees. He had guns, drugs, and thousands in cash. His business was filling cartridges with THC and some mixture that would hold it in suspension and vaporize when heated. Think he was FDA approved? He was pumping out thousands of cartridges every day at 30 bucks a pop.

There is a health concern here with THC vaping, but there is also a concern with a fundamental willingness on the part of the media, law enforcement, and local health agencies to obfuscate, confuse and conjoin nicotine vaping with the health consequences of THC vaping.

The FDA? Their involvement is to crack down on vaping flavors that may appeal to kids. They have nothing to say on health consequences of glycols, and the THC systems causing problems are illegal and obviously outside of FDA control. 

The National Center for Biotechnology Information disagrees with you

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4363846/

Nicotine poses several health hazards. There is an increased risk of cardiovascular, respiratory, gastrointestinal disorders. There is decreased immune response and it also poses ill impacts on the reproductive health. It affects the cell proliferation, oxidative stress, apoptosis, DNA mutation by various mechanisms which leads to cancer. It also affects the tumor proliferation and metastasis and causes resistance to chemo and radio therapeutic agents. The use of nicotine needs regulation. The sale of nicotine should be under supervision of trained medical personnel.

The FDA approves gum and patches with nicotine in them as a treatment to quit the more harmful act of cigarette smoking. There are more dangerous carcinogens in regular tobacco than nicotine, but that doesn't mean nicotine isn't also a carcinogen. 

THC vaping might be what's causing the immediate hospitalizations, but vaping is bad as **** for you.

+++

It makes all the sense in the world to ban vaping. There was so much progress made in gutting the tobacco industry, and then vaping was allowed to spring up with almost no real direct oversight of it, and a ton of that progress was undone.

Edited by AlexGreen#20

I'm not up to speed on the topic, so I can't say what's right or wrong. But, it's more than just black market THC cartridges (whatever that is) I think. Juul products are getting people sick, so it seems to be wide spreed, unless I'm missing something.

Link to an 18 y/o suing Juul:

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/teen-with-vape-related-lung-illness-sues-e-cigarette-maker-juul-labs-today-2019-09-13/

2 minutes ago, Donzo said:

I'm not up to speed on the topic, so I can't say what's right or wrong. But, it's more than just black market THC cartridges (whatever that is) I think. Juul products are getting people sick, so it seems to be wide spreed, unless I'm missing something.

Link to an 18 y/o suing Juul:

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/teen-with-vape-related-lung-illness-sues-e-cigarette-maker-juul-labs-today-2019-09-13/

There's nothing in that link to say it's a Juul product that got him sick. The dude can sue Juul all he wants, but there's going to be very little means of proving that he only ever smoked Juul brand products with no counterfeits. 

Thanks for the response AG. A quick peek confirms what you say on nicotine introduced into the body through tobacco use as a potential catalyst of downstream causations of cancer, but it also said that the delivery system mattered, and that gums, patches, and vaping seemed to mitigate the issue.

Should nicotine be banned?

Should THC be banned?

Vaping is a great way to stop smoking. It is also a great way for young people to begin a life-long nicotine addiction. Please tell your kids the truth: nicotine is addictive. Don’t feed them bull**** related to an entirely different problem involving THC.

I don’t care for telling other people what to do. I also don’t care for people promulgating lies and distortions to serve their own narratives. 

IMO vaping, gums, patches etc are a good way for people to stop smoking who are either weak minded and/or havent truly decided they want to stop. The physical withdrawl effects of stopping cold turkey arent so insurmountable or catastrophic so as to be avoided.  The cost benefit all weighs in on the side of just putting the smokes down, moving on and putting up with the temporary consequences. Just an opinion. I do recognize its a highly personal choice and there is no cookie cutter resolution - other than just putting them down and deciding you're not going to pick them up again.

1 minute ago, Uffdaswede said:

I also don’t care for people promulgating lies and distortions to serve their own narratives. 

Is anybody doing that?

I've looked into it for a total of about fifteen minutes and the health complaints are pointed at the correct products. The other complaint is the back door marketing to youth and non smokers by the vaping companies.