This Aint Packers Talk v69

CWood21

All of this sounds a bit Darth Vader to me. 

ANAKIN 

I don't think the system works.

PADME
How would you have it work?

ANAKIN
We need a system where the politicians sit down and discuss the problems, agree what's in the best interests of all the people, and then do it.

PADME
That is exactly what we do. The trouble is that people don't wlways agree. In fact, they hardly ever do.

ANAKIN
Then they should be made to.

PADME
By whom? Who's going to make them?

ANAKIN
I don't know. Someone.

PADME
You?

ANAKIN
Of course not me.

PADME
But someone.

ANAKIN
Someone wise.

11 hours ago, Cakeshoppe said:

Bu like I said, I think simply outlawing something because it is bad for the user is the crudest form of paternalism and should be avoided when there are other ways of achieving the goal of harm prevention.

"Other ways" opens some interesting avenues.
In California, there was a big push to ban smoking in bars/restaurants because it was "bad for people" and because the non-smokers didn't want to inhale second hand smoke during their dinner. They also didn't want to smell like an ashtray after visiting a bar. The pro-smoker lobby claimed it would be Armageddon for the bars/restaurants and they'd lose business from the smoking public. PR battle ensued

But rather than ban smoking or fighting that uphill battle, what happened is that they leaned on Cal-OSHA laws which protect the rights of workers to breathe clean air at work. Occupational Safety became The Decider and instead of the state protecting the smokers from themselves, they protected the public from the smokers

The restaurants were given a choice to either invest $ 30-50k into air handling/cleaning systems OR they could opt to ban smoking in their establishments, Given the mandate to provide clean air and the freedom to choose the method of achieving that goal, the bars/restaurants chose to make the ban themselves
Armageddon didn't happen and in fact business increased since close to 90 % of the population in California are non-smokers. Meanwhile, bars set up outdoor areas for the smokers, thus preserving their right to engage "risky" and "self-destructive" behaviors

Edited by Shanedorf

@Shanedorf

This "make the alternative worse" is an effective tool that can get done what needs to be done. It should never be the first option, but it is a string for your bow when you need it. 

Explain and persuade first - if it works, congratulations, you're a Svengali.. If not, the job still needs to be done. Having exhausted any clever alternatives like finding a way to make the job easier, offering a bonus etc. you give them the choice of an alternative job that is worse than the original  (you must be willing to carry through on this) and let them work out the obvious benefits of doing the first task over the second.

When I proposed this at a management training session for team leaders, most of the trainees thought this was wrong, everything should be "one team all together", which is fine when it works, but what do you do when that does not work (and people being people, that time will come)..........you need another plan. If you cannot find a better/easier way to get done what needs doing, there is your fallback plan.

One surprising result of doing  this (a technique I very seldom had to use, by the way) is that the person or persons reluctant to do the first job will sometimes choose to do the harder second job, even though they know it is tougher. Perhaps they feel they have 'won' somehow, by getting out of doing the first job, I don't know, people are often illogical. Anyway, if they do choose the tougher job, that gets a very unpleasant task out of the way, and someone else gets drafted in for the first job. Win all round.

6 hours ago, spilltray said:

All of this sounds a bit Darth Vader to me. 

ANAKIN 

I don't think the system works.

PADME
How would you have it work?

ANAKIN
We need a system where the politicians sit down and discuss the problems, agree what's in the best interests of all the people, and then do it.

PADME
That is exactly what we do. The trouble is that people don't wlways agree. In fact, they hardly ever do.

ANAKIN
Then they should be made to.

PADME
By whom? Who's going to make them?

ANAKIN
I don't know. Someone.

PADME
You?

ANAKIN
Of course not me.

PADME
But someone.

ANAKIN
Someone wise.

But Anakin was right and his thoughts were correct....UNTIL he turned selfish for power and chose poorly.

So, a man walks into a bank and goes to a teller line.

The teller is an old woman with blue hair she's obviously been with the bank a really long time.

She asks the man, "What do you wish to do, sir?"

He says, "I want to open an effin' savings account!"

She says, "Sir, we do not tolerate such language here.  If you insist on using it, I'll have to alert our manager!"

The man says, "Why?  Because I want to open an effing savings account?"

The old teller informs the manager of the hostile customer, the manager comes over and says, "What appears to be the problem today?"

The man says "I want to deposit $500,000 into an effing savings account!"

The manager says, "...and this c---t is giving you a hard time????"

There, you can thank bourbon and Gilbert Godfried for that that joke.

Norm walks into a bar, orders 12 shots and starts drinking them as fast as he can.
The bartender says, "Dang, why are you drinking so fast?"

Norm says, "You would be drinking fast if you had what I had."

The bartender says, "What do you have?"

Norm says, "75 cents."

latest?cb=20100626210343

• Like 3

On 9/17/2019 at 11:37 AM, incognito_man said:

Incog health update: went to doc. Not bacterial. Virus running its course. Maybe I brought a nasty 2019 flu to Madison. Also, they found a heart arthymia! So no more caffeine for me.

I *think* I might survive the week, but I won't feel great doing it. 

Your heart is owed a stress-free blowout victory against Denver.