This Aint Packers Talk v69

CWood21

CNN:  Researchers have discovered Earth's hidden eighth continent, but it's not Atlantis. They found it while reconstructing the evolution of Mediterranean region's complex geology, which rises with mountain ranges and dips with seas from Spain to Iran.

The continent is called Greater Adria. It's the size of Greenland and it broke off from North Africa, only to be buried under Southern Europe about 140 million years ago. Chances are, you've been there without even knowing it.

37 minutes ago, Leader said:

CNN:  Researchers have discovered Earth's hidden eighth continent, but it's not Atlantis. They found it while reconstructing the evolution of Mediterranean region's complex geology, which rises with mountain ranges and dips with seas from Spain to Iran.

The continent is called Greater Adria. It's the size of Greenland and it broke off from North Africa, only to be buried under Southern Europe about 140 million years ago. Chances are, you've been there without even knowing it.

How does something that size just get buried under another continent?  Fell asleep during the plate tectonics lecture in my earth science class apparently.

19 minutes ago, Sasquatch said:

How does something that size just get buried under another continent?  Fell asleep during the plate tectonics lecture in my earth science class apparently.

Exactly its plate tectonics. I didnt read the details, but in essence, one "region" slipped under the other a long, long time ago.

2 hours ago, Leader said:

Exactly its plate tectonics. I didnt read the details, but in essence, one "region" slipped under the other a long, long time ago.

No doubt, that part I get.  “How” did one plate overcome the other?  That’s what I’m googling to find out.  So many questions, so little time.

I was fascinated by the idea of the march of the USA Super Volcanoes, as the plates moved over a geologically long period of time. they march Southwest from the oldest remnants of a SV (in the middle of the USA) but not in a straight line as they also slowly curve northward with the twisting of the plates as you follow the tracks of increasingly recent SV eruptions.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, OneTwoSixFive said:

I was fascinated by the idea of the march of the USA Super Volcanoes, as the plates moved over a geologically long period of time. they march Southwest from the oldest remnants of a SV (in the middle of the USA) but not in a straight line as they also slowly curve northward with the twisting of the plates as you follow the tracks of increasingly recent SV eruptions.

Very good! As I drive around Wisconsin I see the physical evidence that demonstrates how our landscape, our waterways, and our soils and gravels were created by the glaciers that carved their way here inch by inch over many thousands of years. Then you think about how those glaciers were racing around the continent, like waves on a shoreline, in comparison to the plate movements that created those mountains and volcanoes over millions of years.

The irony of becoming an old man is that our brief human history keeps moving toward me rather than further away. As a ten year old, the opposing equidistant point from the year of my birth was still well after the end of World War Two. Now that same point has moved into the 19th Century. If I make it into my 90's that point could conceivably reach into the time of the Civil War. And, in this journey away from the beginning, time speeds up as each day becomes a smaller percentage of the whole. Every time I plant a tree now, I face the uncomfortable reality that I no longer plant it for myself, but for those who will enjoy its shade in a decade I will not see.

1 hour ago, Outpost31 said:

Anything that happened before 1776 is unimportant and boring.  Some Romans did some things, some pharaohs were around, the Earth did things.  Yawn. 

I know you love films (or at least some of them). One thing I simply cannot understand is the contempt many younger people have for black and white films. Just as 'The Thing' or outpost 13 was your favourite film, so 'The Maltese Falcon' (with Bogart) and 'The Third Man' (with Orson Welles) are two of mine. Great things are in peoples past.

I know we are not talking the 1700's here (in terms of films), but I find it disappointing that the march of tech increasingly renders people indifferent to anything a bit more old school. Embrace modern tech by all means, but remember the deeper past as well. Before American independence an infinite number of things happened that shaped the world, many important and even more that are trivial...........

My advice is "Don't yawn over it, embrace it all, because the tapestry of life is one huge weaving and to only look at one tiny little fragment, is failing to appreciate the magnificence, both great and terrible, of the whole thing." 

1 minute ago, OneTwoSixFive said:

I know you love films (or at least some of them). One thing I simply cannot understand is the contempt many younger people have for black and white films. Just as 'The Thing' or outpost 13 was your favourite film, so 'The Maltese Falcon' (with Bogart) and 'The Third Man' (with Orson Welles) are two of mine. Great things are in peoples past.

I know we are not talking the 1700's here (in terms of films), but I find it disappointing that the march of tech increasingly renders people indifferent to anything a bit more old school. Embrace modern tech by all means, but remember the deeper past as well. Before American independence an infinite number of things happened that shaped the world, many important and even more that are trivial...........

My advice is "Don't yawn over it, embrace it all, because the tapestry of life is one huge weaving and to only look at one tiny little fragment, is failing to appreciate the magnificence, both great and terrible, of the whole thing." 

How young is young? My favorite film is in black and white.  

Anyone want to work on some data analysis projects?

I've been able to web scrape NFL next gen stats using R, pretty cool play by play by play analytics there.  There is no API but I've seen you can scrape pro-football-reference.com too using Python, which I'm not very familiar with.  Would be really fun to try to merge them up, perhaps add additional sources.  Could have an obscene amount of access to data to play with.

Other than it being hopefully really fun, really want to have a functional reason to learn some python, so would be awesome to follow along with someone who knows what they are doing there. 

13 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

what about george washinton's birth?

George Washington was the Aaron Rodgers of American History.  Overrated egotistical and pompous dousche who got way too much credit for the accomplishment of others and rode his reputation.  

He was downright stupid in the war and got bailed out by dumber British generals and the French, who knew what to do even if Washington didn’t want to listen to them.  

His Presidency was the one we needed.  We needed him and America might have failed if he wasn’t our President, but he was not a good one.  Jefferson and Hamilton ran his Presidency.  Give Washington credit for leading such disparate men, but he really did very little other than managing those who did.  

Great, great, great leader of men, but that was his only real strength.