This Aint Packers Talk v69

CWood21

7 hours ago, Sasquatch said:

I'll just keep giving you footballs until you forget about the debt :D.  But seriously, thank you for your help. I was temporarily "marked" for something bad to happen and only an outside agent could save me.  

Are you aware that the number of the beast is NOT 666, which is the common assumption. This is due to an altered translation where the translator didn't like the lack of perfect symmetry of the original number, which was 616, and altered it to the more aesthetic 666. Others copied the incorrect translation until 666 was perceived as the real number of the beast. So the reality is that you were already off the dreaded number by quite a long way.

24 minutes ago, OneTwoSixFive said:

Are you aware that the number of the beast is NOT 666, which is the common assumption. This is due to an altered translation where the translator didn't like the lack of perfect symmetry of the original number, which was 616, and altered it to the more aesthetic 666. Others copied the incorrect translation until 666 was perceived as the real number of the beast. So the reality is that you were already off the dreaded number by quite a long way.

Never heard that story before.  Then again, my unhealthy fear of the 'unsavory one' came from horror movies, Iron Maiden, and Ozzy Ozbourne, so it's no surprise that I'm clueless.  Then again, you might be the only bloke in this forum who knew this interesting tidbit, therefore, you should post a reference here for all of our enlightenment and learning.

33 minutes ago, OneTwoSixFive said:

It’s right in an Iron Maiden song though, so it has to be real.

3 hours ago, Norm said:

Why is everyone so pissed about that Peleton commercial? I'm serious. Why

Yours is the second mention I’ve seen. 
Like you, I don’t care to look it up, but I wondered what happened.

Without knowing anything about it, I am guessing that Peleton took a side in the culture war somehow.

Transgender crushing other females on a virtual hills workout?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Norm said:

From what I've read, it's because it's rude to get someone workout equipment as a gift...? And the lady in the commercial is already thin to begin with. So sexism. Patriarchal commercial. I watched a few of the popular parodies and that's basically what they were on about.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Sasquatch said:

Never heard that story before.  Then again, my unhealthy fear of the 'unsavory one' came from horror movies, Iron Maiden, and Ozzy Ozbourne, so it's no surprise that I'm clueless.  Then again, you might be the only bloke in this forum who knew this interesting tidbit, therefore, you should post a reference here for all of our enlightenment and learning.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/616_(number)

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/this-britain/revelation-666-is-not-the-number-of-the-beast-its-a-devilish-616-5349692.html

https://www.quora.com/Why-is-it-believe-that-616-is-the-number-of-the-beast

Edited by OneTwoSixFive
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Norm said:

SoyBoyBetaCuck checking in:

Honestly, at face value the commercial is whatever, but I keep seeing it and noticing:
-She doesn't look all that happy and seems like she's only doing the exercise / photojournaling it for her partner.  
-Her house is enormous and beautifully unrealistic.
-She's already fit, so the transformative journey is hard to believe.

I get that it's probably meant for Peloton consumers that can afford $2,300 stationary bikes and enjoy an Oxy with their wine every night, but to the common customer it's just weird and cringey lol

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Norm said:

No one is actually pissed about the Peloton commercial.

30 years ago this would have just been laughed at as a stupid commercial for:

1. What husband gets his wife an exercise bike for Christmas.

2. This extremely attractive woman clearly works out regularly.

3. It's a 2k dollar exercise bike and a 2 million dollar house. 

4. The script is terrible and so terribly overwritten. It's an exercise bike and she's talking about an emotionally transformative journey. 

In the early twentih century, there is an almost imperceptibly small number of people who find either their financial or emotional value in shrieking about perceived injustices. And as the old saying goes "If the only tool in your box is a hammer, everything looks like a nail."

With this in mind:

1. A husband getting his wife an exercise bike for Christmas is perceived as a husband telling his wife that she must change her body to please him. 

2. Choosing an extremely attractive woman as a before model in an exercise video is seen as discrimination of the overweight. As though the attractive ethnically-ambiguous supermodel was chosen as the result of anything other than intense focus testing.

3. Being rich is a sin in the minds of these people.

4. Her celebrating her emotional elation at her (supposedly) changing body, is seen as her espousing the idea that changing her body for her husband is a good thing. This is of course absurd, as it is clearly an attempt to espouse the idea that "Peloton bikes make me happy".

So now that we've taken the time to address these points, we've fallen victim to a classic blunder. We've given the Twitter-heads a single second of our valuable time. 

The conversations worth having around this subject are:

1. Which direction do upset Twitter heads drive this product sale? Are there more left leaning exercise enthusiasts that will skip the purchase or settle for a cheaper model? Or are there more wealthy conservative types who might be talked into this product over a cheaper model as a chance to protest cancel culture?

2. Does Peloton believe either the latter idea, or the idea that "there's no such thing as bad publicity"? And if so, what role do they have in either creating or fanning the flames of the upset Twitter heads?

3. Already we've seen counter-outrage culture become a thing, and how do we as the correct-thinking public resist falling into the trap of responding to these trolls.

4. Is @AlexGreen#20's self esteem so low that he bothered to write out like 750 words on this topic as part of a years long struggle to be perceived (by a group of strangers on a football forum) as a smart person?

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Fl0nkerton said:

SoyBoyBetaCuck checking in:

Honestly, at face value the commercial is whatever, but I keep seeing it and noticing:
-She doesn't look all that happy and seems like she's only doing the exercise / photojournaling it for her partner.  
-Her house is enormous and beautifully unrealistic.
-She's already fit, so the transformative journey is hard to believe.

I get that it's probably meant for Peloton consumers that can afford $2,300 stationary bikes and enjoy an Oxy with their wine every night, but to the common customer it's just weird and cringey lol

So only out of shape should be into working out? I don't get where these people are coming from really.

Edited by Arthur Penske

2 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

With this in mind:

1. A husband getting his wife an exercise bike for Christmas is perceived as a husband telling his wife that she must change her body to please him. 

2. Choosing an extremely attractive woman as a before model in an exercise video is seen as discrimination of the overweight. As though the attractive ethnically-ambiguous supermodel was chosen as the result of anything other than intense focus testing.

3. Being rich is a sin in the minds of these people.

4. Her celebrating her emotional elation at her (supposedly) changing body, is seen as her espousing the idea that changing her body for her husband is a good thing. This is of course absurd, as it is clearly an attempt to espouse the idea that "Peloton bikes make me happy".

So now that we've taken the time to address these points, we've fallen victim to a classic blunder. We've given the Twitter-heads a single second of our valuable time. 

The conversations worth having around this subject are:

1. Which direction do upset Twitter heads drive this product sale? Are there more left leaning exercise enthusiasts that will skip the purchase or settle for a cheaper model? Or are there more wealthy conservative types who might be talked into this product over a cheaper model as a chance to protest cancel culture?

2. Does Peloton believe either the latter idea, or the idea that "there's no such thing as bad publicity"? And if so, what role do they have in either creating or fanning the flames of the upset Twitter heads?

3. Already we've seen counter-outrage culture become a thing, and how do we as the correct-thinking public resist falling into the trap of responding to these trolls.

4. Is @AlexGreen#20's self esteem so low that he bothered to write out like 750 words on this topic as part of a years long struggle to be perceived (by a group of strangers on a football forum) as a smart person?

What I took from the Peleton commercial is a furthering of the belief that some people have entirely too much time on their hands to actively find things to be outraged about.

14 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Is @AlexGreen#20's self esteem so low that he bothered to write out like 750 words on this topic as part of a years long struggle to be perceived (by a group of strangers on a football forum) as a smart person?

I cant speak to your self esteem.....but damn dude. Overthink much?  What? Social media is aflame over this? Social media a faux outrage machine. It churns it out daily.

Who cares? It's a GD exercise bike. Ha!

Edited by Leader

In response to @AlexGreen#20 question about the economic impact (up or down) as a result of this ad:  Peloton stock is down 10%, and business analysts attribute the sudden drop to the commercial.  

As for me, there's now way in he11 I'd be influenced to buy or not buy this bike based upon that commercial. Then again, I'm looking at cost vs performance and quality, etc.  I'm somewhat dumbstruck by the folks who've decided to make this commercial an issue.

4 minutes ago, Sasquatch said:

In response to @AlexGreen#20 question about the economic impact (up or down) as a result of this ad:  Peloton stock is down 10%, and business analysts attribute the sudden drop to the commercial.  

As for me, there's now way in he11 I'd be influenced to buy or not buy this bike based upon that commercial. Then again, I'm looking at cost vs performance and quality, etc.  I'm somewhat dumbstruck by the folks who've decided to make this commercial an issue.

Buy Peloton stock now. It'll be back up next week.

• Like 1