This Aint Packers Talk v69

CWood21

Has anyone ever had any luck with venus fly traps? I always thought they were cool, it looks neat and kills bugs! But I have had probably 5 or so of them in my life, and none have lasted for more than a couple of weeks.  They just seem to die.  I am generally pretty good with plants, but I could never figure those things out.

7 hours ago, Joe said:

Race, class, and wealth mean very little in life if you don't take advantage of opportunity. Many poor people do not have the opportunities to advance themselves, nor are they given the tools in order to do so because of the cycle of poverty. That's why we have a growing gap between the have's and have not's. People like to blame politicians or politics, but that has little to do with it at this point in the game because policy has little effect on opportunity. Of course, there is such a thing as bad opportunity like drugs and other illegal activity and those opportunities regularly present themselves to those who have no other opportunities. 

We as a people will continue to waste our time debating everything mentioned above until we understand two things and two things alone. 1. how to develop healthy and fruitful opportunities. and 2. how to contain and/or diminish the broad reach of the cycle of poverty. The second of those two is more crucial because it affects the first. These two topics need to be thoroughly debated by we the public and the lizard people our ruling class....

May I ask a comment/or ask a question:  Is it really really "how to develop healthy and fruitful opportunities" and instead How to take ACTION on healthy and fruitful opportunities.  I say this as a person who grew up very poor and is no longer poor.  "I Can't" needs to be replaced with "I Can".   It starts with a great education that builds self confidence.  Then teach them the willingness to take action.  Understand Risk and Reward.  Most individuals have ambition, but what surprises me is the lack confidence or the desire to want to take the initiative. 

Edited by minnypackerfan

Just now, ThatJerkDave said:

Has anyone ever had any luck with venus fly traps? I always thought they were cool, it looks neat and kills bugs! But I have had probably 5 or so of them in my life, and none have lasted for more than a couple of weeks.  They just seem to die.  I am generally pretty good with plants, but I could never figure those things out.

You're talking about a plant that only grows naturally in one tiny area IN THE WORLD.  They are not a plant you want to keep if you want to keep that plant alive.  They're actually probably not even terrestrial.  Probably some asteroid brought them here millions of years ago. 

So stop buying them. 

22 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

Kids are great at learning things.  The problem is that they lack the experience to know the consequences of their actions.  I know I was invincible as a kid, weren't you?

I say “dumb” and you say “invincible.”  I say “potato” and you say “potato.”

50 minutes ago, StinkySauce said:

Kids are good at learning things, but 16 year olds are idiots.  They can learn something and not know it.  A 16 year old will drive great 90% of the time and then 10% of the time drive 120 mph on icy streets at midnights with their headlights off because two of their friends in the back seat have their heads out the windows and are howling at mailboxes.  

We get bored of driving our kids around.  But it would be safer to let them drink your good scotch when they’re 13 than to let them into the driver’s seat at 16.  I know we’re never going to change that age but man, kids are dumb.

All points are valid.

4 minutes ago, Cakeshoppe said:

massive Star Wars IX spoilers:

Why does the Millennium Falcon have to make a skid landing because it's landing gear are out? It's not a goddamn 737. Every other time it lands, it does so vertically.

Because they couldn't think of a good ******* reason for Rey to be on the deathstar by herself for the confrontation with herself/Kylo

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Cakeshoppe said:

massive Star Wars IX spoilers:

Why does the Millennium Falcon have to make a skid landing because it's landing gear are out? It's not a goddamn 737. Every other time it lands, it does so vertically.

The real spoiler is that half the star wars fanbase predicted Disney would ruin the franchise.

On 12/30/2019 at 8:02 PM, ThatJerkDave said:

You need to have a crazy setup for this. So unless you have a large terrarium that you can setup to be a jungle that is hot and humid... you will struggle.

if you are going to even go that far... aquascaping is far easier and you can literally create a self maintaining echo system with fish etc.

29 minutes ago, Green19 said:

You need to have a crazy setup for this. So unless you have a large terrarium that you can setup to be a jungle that is hot and humid... you will struggle.

if you are going to even go that far... aquascaping is far easier and you can literally create a self maintaining echo system with fish etc.

You mean like Dory talking to herself?

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Green19 said:

This.

Have you ever considered creating a vivarium?  I have...only it looks like a ****load of work!

I've a 40 long tank now that I'm in process of setting up.....well, like a terrarium of some sort (that indecision and the followup design considerations is a reason its not done.....) and include something like Red Eyed Tree or African frogs....or some kind of snake(s) - and its those dead ends that also leads to the tanks "incomplete" status.

But yeah - venus fly traps as a plant choice is on the menu - only thing is I wouldnt want it trapping/consuming any potential food for the tanks inhabitants - whomever they wind up being :)

Edited by Leader