This Aint Packers Talk v69

CWood21

29 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

True story...can't make this stuff up.

I met my wife because she went to a dating service, that was online as well.  Was scammed out of $5k.  First she got her lawyer involved and she got her $5k back.  Then she went to the news media and told her story.  They went "undercover" and exposed the scam.  When the story ran, I wrote down her name, shot her an email on LinkedIn, started dating, bought a house together after 6 months, engaged at 7 months, married after 18 months.  Due to the story, the state shut the business down.  6 years after the story ran.  Been married now 10 years.

Lots more to it than that, but, that is how I met her.  Sometimes good things come out of bad things.  But...I think one could argue she got the bad thing in me.  I waaaaayyyyyy outkicked my coverage.

Well, you already knew she was gullible because of her being on the news about being scammed, so nice work :)

Edited by Malfatron

2 hours ago, Leader said:

Beware lonely hearts....

Online dating scams are on the rise, according to a recent report published by the Federal Trade Commission (FTC). Americans lost $201 million to romance fraud in 2019, up nearly 40% from 2018. The number of complaints filed to the FTC topped 25,000, making dating scams the most reported type of consumer fraud.

Scammers are getting more sophisticated by coaxing victims into becoming unknowing accomplices in other fraudulent activity. According to the Better Business Bureau, about 20 to 30 percent of romance-fraud victims are lured into becoming money mules, which essentially means committing money laundering.

28 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

True story...can't make this stuff up.

I met my wife because she went to a dating service, that was online as well.  Was scammed out of $5k.  First she got her lawyer involved and she got her $5k back.  Then she went to the news media and told her story.  They went "undercover" and exposed the scam.  When the story ran, I wrote down her name, shot her an email on LinkedIn, started dating, bought a house together after 6 months, engaged at 7 months, married after 18 months.  Due to the story, the state shut the business down.  6 years after the story ran.  Been married now 10 years.

Lots more to it than that, but, that is how I met her.  Sometimes good things come out of bad things.  But...I think one could argue she got the bad thing in me.  I waaaaayyyyyy outkicked my coverage.

How do these scams work exactly? Is this like It's Just Lunch or something?

1 hour ago, ThatJerkDave said:

Boomers suck, but so do you zoomers.  Eat a whole bag of *****.

LOL. I'm going to start saying "OK Zoomer" as well as "OK Boomer"

Also, I'm Gen X so I can do Boomer stuff and not get blamed for it :D.

13 minutes ago, Malfatron said:

Yep, i already have been doing that. im not either one so im good

I'm a Boomer and I'm great. Doin just fine thank-you very much. Dont think I've ever been around a bunch of guys that act more like women when it comes to their "age status." Sorry you're so insecure and sensitive about it. Hopefully things will look up for you. LOL

Edited by Leader

11 minutes ago, Leader said:

I'm a Boomer and I'm great. Doin just fine thank-you very much. Dont think I've ever been around a bunch of guys that act more like women when it comes to their "age status." Sorry you're so insecure and sensitive about it. Hopefully things will look up for you. LOL

That's a broad assumption based on the fact that you're getting old and younger generations, mainly Millennials and Zoomers, have come up with a line that gets under your skin.

So....OK Boomer...

12 minutes ago, Leader said:

giphy-(35).gif?width=690&height=574&mode

20 minutes ago, Joe said:

How do these scams work exactly? Is this like It's Just Lunch or something?

LOL. I'm going to start saying "OK Zoomer" as well as "OK Boomer"

Also, I'm Gen X so I can do Boomer stuff and not get blamed for it :D.

Well, this one was one where they sit you down, tell you that what you are doing isn't working and you need them.

Then they get you to sign up to date their "database".  You pay extra for their "help" with photos, profiles...etc.  Then you are invited to their group "dates" where you can meet new people.

The scam is that their "database" of clients isn't what they say.  Shocking.  The scam is that their professional photographer is a receptionist.  The scam is that they cannot validate the number of outings they have, nor the members that show.

The real scam is that they don't let you leave their room as they take your driver's license and credit card up front.  As they said, it was to run your record to make sure you aren't a criminal.  What they are really doing is seeing how much credit you have.  And if you want to leave, they won't let you as they keep your driver's license and credit card.  Many people were so fed up, they left without those things.  The police found hundreds on site.  

My wife left her stuff, then called her lawyer.  He got the $5,000 charge reversed and had her ID and credit card returned.  She cancelled the card and immediately went to the media.

It was crazy.  

She and I were actually on the news 3 times doing follow ups to their story.  It was a crazy process.  

1 minute ago, vegas492 said:

Well, this one was one where they sit you down, tell you that what you are doing isn't working and you need them.

Then they get you to sign up to date their "database".  You pay extra for their "help" with photos, profiles...etc.  Then you are invited to their group "dates" where you can meet new people.

The scam is that their "database" of clients isn't what they say.  Shocking.  The scam is that their professional photographer is a receptionist.  The scam is that they cannot validate the number of outings they have, nor the members that show.

The real scam is that they don't let you leave their room as they take your driver's license and credit card up front.  As they said, it was to run your record to make sure you aren't a criminal.  What they are really doing is seeing how much credit you have.  And if you want to leave, they won't let you as they keep your driver's license and credit card.  Many people were so fed up, they left without those things.  The police found hundreds on site.  

My wife left her stuff, then called her lawyer.  He got the $5,000 charge reversed and had her ID and credit card returned.  She cancelled the card and immediately went to the media.

It was crazy.  

She and I were actually on the news 3 times doing follow ups to their story.  It was a crazy process.  

That sounds like "It's Just Lunch". I had a friend pursue that service awhile back, though he never paid any money. Look up the reviews for that service sometime...

3 minutes ago, Joe said:

That's a broad assumption based on the fact that you're getting old and younger generations, mainly Millennials and Zoomers, have come up with a line that gets under your skin. So....OK Boomer...

No, see...thats where you're entirely wrong. I am doing great and why would I care what some strangers on the internet think. You're irrelevant except in your own mind when you declare:  "Millennials and Zoomers, have come up with a line that gets under your skin"

Couldnt care less.

20 minutes ago, Leader said:

oh brother lol this is rich

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Leader said:

No, see...thats where you're entirely wrong. I am doing great and why would I care what some strangers on the internet think. You're irrelevant except in your own mind when you declare:  "Millennials and Zoomers, have come up with a line that gets under your skin"

Couldnt care less.

Im sure boomers think they are doing great. I do not doubt this for a second.

(also, its just mild ribbing really. Its not supposed to be a major offense lol)

1 minute ago, Malfatron said:

Im sure boomers think they are doing great. I do not doubt this for a second. (also, its just mild ribbing really. Its not supposed to be a major offense lol)

Well actually, I know how well I'm doing LOL. If not me, who else? As for this - it's not. I just thought I'd clue you all in that yes - I am in fact a Boomer (if that means something to you) - that I'm doing great, have zero complaints about it and maybe give you all hope for your futures cause you seem to foresee disaster ahead. Doesnt have to be that way. It is what you make it.

2 minutes ago, Leader said:

Well actually, I know how well I'm doing LOL. If not me, who else? As for this - it's not. I just thought I'd clue you all in that yes - I am in fact a Boomer (if that means something to you) - that I'm doing great, have zero complaints about it and maybe give you all hope for your futures cause you seem to foresee disaster ahead. Doesnt have to be that way. It is what you make it.

Sir, this is a Wendy's