This Aint Packers Talk v69

CWood21

I remember one time about a decade ago my uncle got scammed by someone on Facebook.  He ended up sending her thousands of dollars after only seeing one picture of her.  The thousands of dollars were to get her to the United States and he fell for every single lie and every single hiccup.  On the one hand I feel bad for him since the dude is one lonely SOB, but on the other hand I can never even look at him the same way because he'll always be the moron who got scammed out of thousands of dollars.

With all the awareness around it now, there is zero excuse to get scammed.  Someone asks for money, CC#, personal information?  Scam.  It's literally that simple. 

2 hours ago, Leader said:

I'm a Boomer and I'm great. Doin just fine thank-you very much. Dont think I've ever been around a bunch of guys that act more like women when it comes to their "age status." Sorry you're so insecure and sensitive about it. Hopefully things will look up for you. LOL

Here, here. That makes 2 of us. Carry on!

19 hours ago, Cakeshoppe said:

Reading Blood Meridian and never read McCarthy before. Did he always write like this? It’s hard to imagine this ever getting through the publishing process if it was his first book. 

Everything I’ve read from McCarthy has basically been, “Let’s see how far away from commonly accepted “good” writing I can get as I can.”

Dude is basically celebrated for writing so poorly it tricks people into thinking its genius.  I’m gonna give the man credit because reading The Road conveyed utter despair like nothing else ever, but McCarthy is one of if not the most pretentious writers ever.

2 hours ago, Outpost31 said:

Everything I’ve read from McCarthy has basically been, “Let’s see how far away from commonly accepted “good” writing I can get as I can.”

Dude is basically celebrated for writing so poorly it tricks people into thinking its genius.  I’m gonna give the man credit because reading The Road conveyed utter despair like nothing else ever, but McCarthy is one of if not the most pretentious writers ever.

Loathing every sentence from a literary perspective is a lot of what made the road so oppressive. What everyone assumed was brilliant literary technique was actually just dreadful writing

• Like 1