This Aint Packers Talk v69

CWood21

17 minutes ago, OneTwoSixFive said:

@Packerraymond  One day at a time. Easy advice to give, but surprisingly hard to follow properly. As soon as you start to fret about stuff beyond that, you need to throw a mental 'STOP' sign at yourself. Stop counting the "X days until........." and just do today.

Normally this isn't a good way to live (the old adage is that young people live in the moment, middle aged people live for the future and old people live in the past), but now is far from normal For now staying in the moment, more like a child, is probably the best way to move forward for someone who is stressing. This is easier for more solitary people than, for example, families. It's easier still for those (like me) who have retired and have slid out of the regimented, and ordered, life of work.

The only other advice I have is to find a project to do, one that stretches your thinking and takes a while, maybe something that you have put off for years. That will help keep you in the 'now'.

I second this, especially the project part. I have pretty bad anxiety and have been on and off medication for it. I’ve just been using this as an opportunity to start/finish projects I’ve been meaning to do or have had half-finished for a while now. Pulled a bunch of cable through the walls for future tech upgrades at home. Built a drawer system/ sleeping platform for camping in my car. Working on finishing the workbench I started building in the garage like a year ago. Been learning guitar. Going on a bodyweight workout and run every night. Just try to keep your body and mind running on something even if it’s different from your usual routine. An idle mind is the devil’s plaything. 

• Like 1

What happened to that fishing pole? Now that the truck's fixed, I recommend picking it up and finding a secluded stream/river/lake somewhere. Cant possibly go wrong.

Kick up your Vit D intake - either via the sun or pill - and B12 - both of which are recognized non-pharma / over the counter methods to curb depression/anxiety. Nothing but good. Cant OD or get hooked on them (other than the mental improvement they'll provide.)

You already know that working out has no downsides - so do it.

*Know* that you're fine - that (hopefully) everybody you love/care for are safe and in a good situations - that this is a temporary circumstance. Staying centered around those concepts, you move on.

I'd add kick up your sex life, but dont know how thats set up for you right now :)

All the best. You're good.

Edited by Leader
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Packerraymond said:

I think finding an exercise routine routine that works for me is going to be my key. 

It just all coincided that the whole state shut down, the brake caliper on on of the wheels on my truck siezed to the rotor and because I couldn't get to the store I stopped drinking this probiotics shake I have every day for breakfast because I like the eat high protein low carb and thus screwed up my guts to where I was nauseous routinely throughout the day and thus didn't want to jog/workout at home. I've fixed the truck and got back on my eating routine and am 90% of the way back there, just got anxiety attacks along the way that is the new hurdle.

Ive read how good working out is for anxiety, and that's probably why it was never ever an issue for me before. I just am hoping getting back into that with a little daily breathing/meditation session will help me down the right track.

I truly sympathize with anyone who struggles with this as I've had plenty of bodily injuries being both an athlete and a boy with 3 brothers who live out in the country with a lot of land to find dangerous crap to do lol. This week was tougher than any physical injury I've sustained.

Cut caffeine immediately if you have any intake, that's one bit of advice I'd have. Also, get under some trees, even if it's just ones along the street. Get as much sun/trees as you can. Walks are lovely, and not having a define goal/task for a walk is even more lovely.

I actually had my visit with my psychiatrist this morning.  We had to do it over the phone.  But I am easy.  I have it about as under control as I can.  I know that in the past, I was unable to function.  That has to be really tough right now, because isolation is what you want to do, and that usually makes it worse because you get comfortable being isolated, then it builds and builds.  

I would have to get some extra electronics, but does anyone want to do like a google hangout and watch some old games and react as if it were live?

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

I actually had my visit with my psychiatrist this morning.  We had to do it over the phone.  But I am easy.  I have it about as under control as I can.  I know that in the past, I was unable to function.  That has to be really tough right now, because isolation is what you want to do, and that usually makes it worse because you get comfortable being isolated, then it builds and builds.  

I would have to get some extra electronics, but does anyone want to do like a google hangout and watch some old games and react as if it were live?

I have no idea what Google Hangout is but I might be down for this idea

I'm going bat **** crazy with my coworker who refuses to talk and the old lady working until 11pm. I talk the ear of the postmaster here every day lol

Also it was 75 yesterday and it's 27 and snowing right now. I hate everyone and everything seems stupid to me

Edited by Norm

I scored 27 points off the word "hooha" in Words with friends. I scored 7 points yesterday with the word "shat" and one of my friends scored 9 points off the present tense of that word...

2 hours ago, Packerraymond said:

I think finding an exercise routine routine that works for me is going to be my key. 

It just all coincided that the whole state shut down, the brake caliper on on of the wheels on my truck siezed to the rotor and because I couldn't get to the store I stopped drinking this probiotics shake I have every day for breakfast because I like the eat high protein low carb and thus screwed up my guts to where I was nauseous routinely throughout the day and thus didn't want to jog/workout at home. I've fixed the truck and got back on my eating routine and am 90% of the way back there, just got anxiety attacks along the way that is the new hurdle.

Ive read how good working out is for anxiety, and that's probably why it was never ever an issue for me before. I just am hoping getting back into that with a little daily breathing/meditation session will help me down the right track.

I truly sympathize with anyone who struggles with this as I've had plenty of bodily injuries being both an athlete and a boy with 3 brothers who live out in the country with a lot of land to find dangerous crap to do lol. This week was tougher than any physical injury I've sustained.

I feel for yah, man.

It's been a tough week for me, too.  I honestly feel like the weather we've had for the past 2 weeks really didn't help.  No sun.

There was a little sun yesterday.  I took a fishing pole downtown and made some casts.  Plenty of room to distance.  Plenty of room to cast, as well as feel the sun and wind.

That helped me a ton.

Today the sun is out, it's warmer and I'm going for a long walk.

Hope you find time to do the same, enjoy some sunshine while it is here and then see how you feel.

I've noticed a lot of folks around me are hanging out on patios/porches...etc.  Some are sipping cocktails, others are just taking in the nice weather.

13 minutes ago, Joe said:

I scored 27 points off the word "hooha" in Words with friends. I scored 7 points yesterday with the word "shat" and one of my friends scored 9 points off the present tense of that word...

Wordscapes is a pretty fun app to challenge the brain, too.  I used to do the daily puzzle and about 3 puzzles a day.  Now I'm up to about 20 puzzles a day just to try to keep my mind occupied.

5 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

Wordscapes is a pretty fun app to challenge the brain, too.  I used to do the daily puzzle and about 3 puzzles a day.  Now I'm up to about 20 puzzles a day just to try to keep my mind occupied.

That's the one with the Homescapes characters that are really stupid, right?

3 hours ago, Packerraymond said:

For all these years I've helped all of you with my great mod skills and amazing Packer posts, looking for any tips from you as I could use some help.

Right now the world sucks, I was a very routine driven person who went to work, went to the gym, was very active. Now all the gyms are closed, I work from home and barely leave the house, as we're supposed to. This drastic change in lifestyle has introduced me to a new friend that I've never had before in my life, constant anxiety. Couldn't tell you what it's about or how it came to be, as the virus itself is not a source of worry to me, but over the last week I've gotten less and less sleep and dealt with attacks which are literally the worst thing ever. Then once you have the traumatic experience of an attack, your anxiety manifests itself as anxiety about not wanting to have anxiety, which is the largest middle finger I've ever been given from life lol.

Anyone got any tips to get it in control that don't involve me getting prescriptions and having to pop pills? Crazy to think a week ago I'd be where I'm at now, definitely the slipperiest slope I've ever encountered health wise. You go from 0-60 in the snap of a finger and you can't even figure out why.

As an anxiety sufferer most of my life, I can relate.  My colleague at work shared this reticle with me, and it’s one of the best I’ve read thus far.  Bottom line, we can’t worry about productivity at a time like this.  We must tend to our needs and focus inward.  When attacks come on, just close your eyes and focus on your breathing only - just breathe.

https://www.chronicle.com/article/Why-You-Should-Ignore-All-That/248366

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Sasquatch said:

As an anxiety sufferer most of my life, I can relate.  My colleague at work shared this reticle with me, and it’s one of the best I’ve read thus far.  Bottom line, we can’t worry about productivity at a time like this.  We must tend to our needs and focus inward.  When attacks come on, just close your eyes and focus on your breathing only - just breathe.

https://www.chronicle.com/article/Why-You-Should-Ignore-All-That/248366

Lots of my colleagues are really struggling with this...

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Joe said:

Lots of my colleagues are really struggling with this...

I’ve been struggling with this myself - feelings of guilt that I’m not getting enough work-related stuff done.  It was making me nervous and anxious.  I was relieved to see that my boss followed up on this article by telling all of us to “do only what we need to do (work wise) and forget the rest.”  That helped.

Edited by Sasquatch

Good to know there's plenty more struggling with it. Being new to my life is what makes it scarier to me, I'm sure everyone finds their coping mechanisms and they are all different, but being fresh to me I don't have one yet and that's where the feeling of it being overwhelming comes from.

56 minutes ago, Joe said:

That's the one with the Homescapes characters that are really stupid, right?

I don't think so.  Just word puzzles.  And their daily puzzles give you coins that unlock pictures throughout the month.